Alternate airport than Buffalo

Chip_Dale

DIS Veteran
Live in the GTA area and have flown out of Buffalo I am looking at different options. Willing to travel a little further to get cheaper fares and better flight times. Thinking Detroit? Cleveland? Pittsburgh? What airlines service the airports with direct flights? Also are there any other airport options

I think Detroit is still a Delta hub, so probably some direct flights there. It's about 30-40 minutes from the bridge.

Cleveland is a bit far. You might find some discount airlines flying direct but it's a spoke for the legacy carriers.

Pittsburgh I've never been so I can't say for sure.

I have flown out of Pittsburgh many times. At least ten I would guess. Great airport - nice size and they often open up a secondary screening during busy times, flights often stay very low last minute (probably the reason for most of my bookings) and the Stay/Park/Fly area has a lot to offer. However, you can run into some nasty weather in the winter coming across the 90 and for the that reason I haven't used it lately. Family that I have booked at the same time have complained that they should have just driven down. But not sure how 4.5 equals 23, smiling. Coupled with really low fares. Driving there is nice because you're excited to go on vacation. It seems endless on the way home.

I have found some unbelievable bargains on SW and AirTran (when it was independent). I've often used it if I missed the opening window in BUF for Christmas/NYE and March Break.

Delta, American, United, JetBlue and Southwest. But I have only used Southwest for direct, lots of choice when I used to book. And a pretty well perfect flight time.

Allegiant flies out of a neighbouring airport, but have never used it. EDIT. Allegiant now flies out of PIT. As does Frontier ---- http://www.post-gazette.com/news/tr...lights-out-of-Pittsburgh/stories/201601120167

Last edited:
Don't forget to check out Sunwing out of YYZ. Direct flights and deals to be found.

We are in Belleville and chose to fly out of Rochester after using Buffalo. Southwest and direct flights at times more convenient for us. Unfortunately we left during a freak snow storm and came home through anticipated snow/freezing rain warnings. Now we are able to drive at our leisure, and wait weather out if needed.

Also check SYR (Syracuse, NY) direct flights with JB.

Very convenient if you are at all East of Toronto

ETA - Ogdensburg NY was also due to start direct flights this fall after the runway extension is completed. But IMO didn't appear to be as far along as they should be when we passed by in March.

We had friends miss a buffalo flight but the ticketing agent was able to get them on a flight out of Albany. Not sure if this is cheaper but it was an option and certainly worth pricing out. I drove out to Syracuse last fall for a concert and the drive was soooo easy, basically interstate all the way. Now that I have done that I wouldn't hesitate to fly out of there if the price was right

We usually fly out of Buffalo but this past December we flew out of Detroit for a quick MVMCP long weekend. This was our first time and we did so because we snagged an amazing price from Frontier Airlines during a Black Friday sale. I had to sign up for their "Den Deals" which costs $50 USD annually but the price for the four of us in TOTAL, was $201.99 round trip. After the initial purchase, I ended up adding on a bag under both ways which ended up being $35 each way. They are a total no frills airline and you pay for everything, including CARRY ON that doesnt fit under the seat ahead of you but we brought only essentials and put everything else in the one checked bag. In total it was less than $300 USD for four of us to travel round trip to MCO. That does not include the gas going back and forth to Detroit or the hotel we stayed at the night before but we used points and breakfast was included. The Detroit airport was a breeze as well, bigger than Buffalo but nothing as crazy as Pearson. The planes we flew on was very new, it kind of had a new car smell and we were joking that we were on its inaugural flight. The flight attendants were good and it was a direct flight. Probably one of the better flights we have ever taken. I have seen flights since then for $29 round trip but nothing as low as the Black Friday special we were lucky to snag. Keep it in mind for next year if you have any interest in trying them out.

We're flying Delta out of Detroit in August. We paid about $250US return each. We booked back in October

I had a friend who flew out of Syracuse once. I think it was Syracuse. And other's have told me to look at places like Flint too.

We are in Belleville and chose to fly out of Rochester after using Buffalo. Southwest and direct flights at times more convenient for us. Unfortunately we left during a freak snow storm and came home through anticipated snow/freezing rain warnings. Now we are able to drive at our leisure, and wait weather out if needed.

Hi Kellars....we live in the Friendly City as well. Cool to find one of our "neighbours" on the boards :). Are you on the east end or west end?

To the OP, we have flown from Syracuse several times. A great small airport and super easy to navigate (similar to the Buffalo experience). Unfortunately, Jetblue is the only airline that flies nonstop to MCO from Syracuse (unless something has changed recently) and the lack of competition has seen Jetblue prices increase substantially since we first flew from there in 2012. For our last 4 trips (October 2015, December 2015, April 2016 and October 2016), Syracuse has been substantially more expensive than Buffalo. I am almost certain that Southwest's prices are what keeps Jetblue from Buffalo competitive.

Allegiant Airlines out of Niagara Falls, NY, we have used them several times! They do not fly into MCO though, they fly into Sanford which is about a 40min car ride into Orlando, so you would have to rent a car or they have bus transportation into Orlando area. Both airports are small, so super fast and easy boarding etc. and Niagara Falls airport is just across the boarder! They are no frills, like most now a days, you have to pay for seats and luggage!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter