• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

alpine magic with altitude sickness?

travelingirlie

Earning My Ears
My kids are really begging me to look into the Alpine magic trip, but my oldest daughter gets altitude sickness! I'm not sure if she could handle the trip! It just makes me nervous. We have medications we give her, but I just dont want her not to enjoy the trip.

I have been to all of the areas that the Alpine Magic trip goes to. She shouldn't have any trouble with altitude sickness there. That is .. unless you go to the top of the Matterhorn :)

While in Switzerland, the altitude ranges from 5,276 feet (1,608 meters) above sea level to just over 10,000 feet (3,048 meters) above sea level.

Most of the trip occurs at 5,000 feet. However, the altitude rises as high as 7,500 feet for a short coach ride on the Simplon Pass.

Well, 3500 is about her limit. At 4000 she needs motrin and tylonal rotations for the first 3 days. Its pretty bad. I'm just worried that she will end up sick the entire time and not fully enjoy the trip. We went to Ecuador and the first 3 days she was in the hotel room puking (sorry tmi)
so if anyone has any thought???

Altitude sickness doesn't usually occur until you get over 2500 meters. You can take prescribed medications to prevent it - acetazolamide (Diamox) or dexamethasone (Decadron). Like all medications, there are risks and benefits. Gingko biloba is supposed to help prevent it too. If it is a real concern, you should check with your doctor. If he or she isn't familiar with altitude sickness, you can check to see if there is a travel clinic at a local hospital. Many major medical centers have their own travel clinics or can refer you to one closer to home. Good luck - it's always scary to worry about your kid getting sick away from home.

Maybe the Germany trip would be better? I don't know.

She DOES get altitude sickness at 4000 feet and the highest up we have ever stayed is 6000 feet. She used to get horrible horrible sickness and she is allergic to ALL of the meds to prevent it. One year it got so bad we took her to ski patrol who said before you get in the car start motrin and tylonal rotations along with gatorade and water. Well, that has done the trick.

We go skiing so we have to take these precautions quite often. With these tips from ski patrol all we have gotten is headaches and bad nights sleep. YES!! lol. I think she will be okay on the trip, like if we REALLy wanted to do it, I would, but I'm not sure if its really worth it. ???

Maybe the Germany trip would be better? I don't know.

She DOES get altitude sickness at 4000 feet and the highest up we have ever stayed is 6000 feet. She used to get horrible horrible sickness and she is allergic to ALL of the meds to prevent it. One year it got so bad we took her to ski patrol who said before you get in the car start motrin and tylonal rotations along with gatorade and water. Well, that has done the trick.

We go skiing so we have to take these precautions quite often. With these tips from ski patrol all we have gotten is headaches and bad nights sleep. YES!! lol. I think she will be okay on the trip, like if we REALLy wanted to do it, I would, but I'm not sure if its really worth it. ???
Why set yourself up for that??? It can't be enjoyable for any of you. Until she hopefully outgrows it, look at one of the other tours. There are SO many great ABD's that wouldn't involve high altitudes, why deliberately pick one that will make your daughter sick? I'd think your other kids would understand.

Sayhello

Sayhello...

yes your right, but she is 15y/o and I dont think shes outgrowing it ;)

i mean, we do take her skiing up at mammoth mountain, and we deal. I mean, she wants to go too. Her feeling is if she lets this stop her she will never see the world. So, i'm not sure if i'm setting myself up for disaster, or if it will just be headaches the first couple days?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter