ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are the Poly's rooms in general as far as noise? Do the walls seem paper thin or are they good for blocking out noise from rooms around you?
We never heard anything from our neighbors' rooms, or out in the hall.

I know some of you have posted that there are currently no speakers down on the beach right now, so no music from Wishes, but what about around the rest of the grounds? Is there currently music playing around the rest of the resort like there used to or is it gone now too because of the construction?

We never heard anything from our neighbors' rooms, or out in the hall.

Same here. We found the Poly to be very quiet! We have stayed at values and moderates and *easily* heard our neighbors. Not so at the Poly.

I know some of you have posted that there are currently no speakers down on the beach right now, so no music from Wishes, but what about around the rest of the grounds? Is there currently music playing around the rest of the resort like there used to or is it gone now too because of the construction?

As of a couple of days ago, there was music playing in other areas around the resort. Just not the Wishes music at the Hawaii beach.

How are the Poly's rooms in general as far as noise? Do the walls seem paper thin or are they good for blocking out noise from rooms around you?

We stayed 3rd floor corner Raratonga and it was super quiet. You never would have guessed that the door to go down stairs and the elevator were steps from our doors nor would you guess the monorail was right outside the balcony. I'm requesting that same longhouse when we go back in Feb.

Got to see the lobby tonight as we headed over for dinner at O'hana. While I do miss the old waterfall, I have to say that the new lobby looks nice. No real wow factor like before but not ugly either...could use more greenery or flowers though..IMHO.

The Christmas tree is up too and is set behind the new water feature...LILO & Stitch were there tonight along with photopass photographers taking pictures with families in front of the tree. Also noticed new furniture in the seating area of O'hana...much needed and also looks nice. Really can't wait for our upcoming stay in August!

Good to hear new lobby is ok. I'll miss the wow factor though. We are looking forward to our August visit too :upsidedow

So, I'm following this redevelopment of the Poly with interest. We are hoping to stay there again when we return in June before a cruise on the Fantasy.

I see work is expected to run through the end of 2015, but it looks like a lot of major work should be done in March?

What should I expect to find if we stay at the Poly this summer? Is it going to be mostly work on the DVC facilities at that point, or will things inside the resort area proper still be a mess?

We are staying September 22-28. I'm following very closely to see where they are on the main pool completion. That would be the deal breaker for us.

As of a couple of days ago, there was music playing in other areas around the resort. Just not the Wishes music at the Hawaii beach.

Thank you! The music is part of the whole atmosphere for me!

Crazy people that we are we just changed our March trip to the Poly. It has been our "home" resort for every visit until this fall. We went to the GF due to the construction and planned on heading back to the GF in March. But, the walls coming down in the GCH and news that some of the fences around the grounds are coming down has convinced us to go back (we had previously planned on waiting until the work is all done). We know the pool won't be ready, but we probably won't be swimming a lot in mid-March anyways.

We're headed to the Poly in less than 30 days and are so excited for the trip!

This will be our first visit to the Poly (only other family trip we stayed at CR). My DS 7 is in LOVE with the monorail.

I had asked a couple months back what request to make to get the best monorail view room.
For those who are keeping up on the construction's current status...what would you suggest we request? I'm wondering building, side, and floor.

My other ?: we're wondering about the walk to the TTC for our Epcot days. Are we better off just taking the MK monorail to the TTC or is the walk doable?
Our kiddos are 9,7 & 6

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

This will be our first visit to the Poly (only other family trip we stayed at CR). My DS 7 is in LOVE with the monorail.

I had asked a couple months back what request to make to get the best monorail view room.
For those who are keeping up on the construction's current status...what would you suggest we request? I'm wondering building, side, and floor.

My other ?: we're wondering about the walk to the TTC for our Epcot days. Are we better off just taking the MK monorail to the TTC or is the walk doable?
Our kiddos are 9,7 & 6

I like Rarantoga because one end of the building leads right to GCH and the other to the bus stop::thumbsup2. (Really does save time getting to parks and food)

It is close to the quiet pool too.

1st floor patio, 2nd non, 3rd balcony.
I think if you get your first choice of monorail side then floor won't really matter.

My dd and I usually do the walk but we didn't this last year. It depends on weather for us. Our trips made more sense in the June and August heat to stay cool on the monorail. Then with my mom in November that walk would be too long.
For a 6 yr old prob just take monorail. The ride isn't that long and saves strength for other things.

My mom loved poly even with construction. Of course we were just so happy have time together at our ages ;). She thought the fences were pretty too.

With the lobby done the overall feel should be better. I am going to be at WL and come over for meals at Kona. My dd loves those pulled pork tacos for lunch:goodvibes

You are going to have a great trip. Won't be long now:yay:

Our kiddos are 9,7 & 6

We have stayed in Tuvalu a couple of times, on the far side of the resort. Our youngest daughter did not have a problem with the walk to the TTC (she was 5). From the far side of the resort to the TTC, if you walk at a reasonable pace it is probably 10 minutes (the Poly is not a huge resort). Personally we would be too impatient to take the monorail around to the TTC. Once you wait for a train, and it makes its stops at GF, MK, CR, around to the TTC you're probably looking at at least 20 minutes. We have taken the resort monorail back to the Poly at the end of an Epcot day though since it's just one stop and tired feet dictate choice! ;)

We have stayed in Tuvalu a couple of times, on the far side of the resort. Our youngest daughter did not have a problem with the walk to the TTC (she was 5). From the far side of the resort to the TTC, if you walk at a reasonable pace it is probably 10 minutes (the Poly is not a huge resort). Personally we would be too impatient to take the monorail around to the TTC. Once you wait for a train, and it makes its stops at GF, MK, CR, around to the TTC you're probably looking at at least 20 minutes. We have taken the resort monorail back to the Poly at the end of an Epcot day though since it's just one stop and tired feet dictate choice! ;)

We walked to the TTC for the Epcot monorail. Not a very pretty walk right now but very doable. We were in Fiji and I also would estimate about 10 mins.

I'd stay on the Lua side. The construction on the east side is everywhere, and while some are saying they didn't mind it, I found it overbearing and diminishing for the entire trip. The Lua side didn't seem as bad.

I'm new to the boards and have a question for all of you Poly veterans out there. A little background: My family took our first trip to Disney in 2013 and stayed at BC (I desperately wanted the Poly but was democratically outvoted 3-1). When we decided to save up and return to Disney in 2015, it was agreed that we would stay at the Poly. We are booked for an early November 2015 stay.

That being said, what interested me in the Poly was the theming and the history behind the resort. My only Disney vacation as a kid was at the Contemporary back in 1975. But in dreaming of Disney vacations over the years, I always loved the Polynesian theme and the look of the waterfall and the Nanea pool. I've been following the refurb (Thanks to the DIS Boards and Tikiman's pages) and I'm a bit concerned. It looks like many of the magical touches that people have loved are being removed (and we'll see what happens with the new pool). I've read the postings of many disgruntled Poly fans but my question is this: Is it worth the high price to stay at the new Poly? Or have the "improvements" sacrificed too much of the traditional charm of the resort? I'm asking this as someone whose family has never visited the resort.

I'm having second thoughts about our stay and I'm considering switching to BC since my family fell in love with the resort and it's proximity to Epcot. Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I'm new to the boards and have a question for all of you Poly veterans out there. A little background: My family took our first trip to Disney in 2013 and stayed at BC (I desperately wanted the Poly but was democratically outvoted 3-1). When we decided to save up and return to Disney in 2015, it was agreed that we would stay at the Poly. We are booked for an early November 2015 stay.

That being said, what interested me in the Poly was the theming and the history behind the resort. My only Disney vacation as a kid was at the Contemporary back in 1975. But in dreaming of Disney vacations over the years, I always loved the Polynesian theme and the look of the waterfall and the Nanea pool. I've been following the refurb (Thanks to the DIS Boards and Tikiman's pages) and I'm a bit concerned. It looks like many of the magical touches that people have loved are being removed (and we'll see what happens with the new pool). I've read the postings of many disgruntled Poly fans but my question is this: Is it worth the high price to stay at the new Poly? Or have the "improvements" sacrificed too much of the traditional charm of the resort? I'm asking this as someone whose family has never visited the resort.

I'm having second thoughts about our stay and I'm considering switching to BC since my family fell in love with the resort and it's proximity to Epcot. Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I think it's really too soon to say whether it has changed too much (when we dropped in in October there were still a lot of construction walls up) and in the end, it's really a matter of personal taste or what makes the atmosphere "magical" for you. Personally, I don't really mind that the waterfall is gone and think the lobby looks good (except the new water feature seems proportionately too small). But what made us smile was when we saw the video on Tikiman's fb page of the ribbon cutting for the lobby. Hearing the music and seeing the familiar faces of the CM's made us want to go back. I also didn't really think the volcano slide in the pool was that great esthetically. I love the location of that pool, with the MK off in the distance, but the volcano doesn't make it or break it for me. If you've never stayed there before you won't already have the emotional attachment to these things that others would. It hopefully won't change the overall feel of the resort that it is now not "magical" any more. What we have always loved about the Poly is how it feels like it's in the centre of WDW, with the GF to the left, the CR resort to the right and the castle off in the distance beyond the lagoon, with the monorail circling it all. We love the sound of the steam train whistle off in the MK, the boat horns on the lagoon and the Hawaiian music softly playing in the background as you walk around the resort. And we love the familiar faces of the CM's we seen year after year when we've visited. So for our family, these superficial changes won't ruin the magic for us. Just my feeling. Sure it will be strange being there with a new pool, the DVC side of the resort, etc, but I'm sure we'll get used to it. Sometimes change is good in the long run.

Thanks for the input.

Anyone who's walked to TTC lately, is it on a sidewalk, or are you walking on the road? The description from a few pages back has me a little nervous!

I think the question of whether or not something is 'worth it' really varies based on what is important to you. I have been staying at Poly for ~28 years and the big draw for me is the location. I love being able to hop on and off the monorail and Magic Kingdom is my favorite park so that comes into play as well. It's fun to wander around and watch the fireworks or see the water show and the decor and theme of the hotel makes it really feel like a vacation.

You mentioned that your family likes BC because of the proximity to Epcot. If that is where you're planning on spending a lot of time Poly might not be the best hotel choice because you either have to take a bus or walk to the TTC before taking a monorail to Epcot as opposed to an easy walk.

Wherever you stay will be fun and you'll have a great trip!

We are Poly die-hards, having stayed there every trip except for one the past several years. Even with the construction, we couldn't think of staying anywhere else. No matter what the changes, the resort always has the tropical feel…IMO, it feels like a real island vacation! There are small touches around the resort (all of the tikis, beautiful plants/flowers, CMs always saying aloha, torch lighting ceremony) that won't change either. To us, it's the most convenient resort to the parks as well. A quick trip to MK on the monorail or boat, and an easy walk to TTC for Epcot. We are also doing club level, which is wonderful for its view of Wishes every night and it's food. For us, we are spoiled and can't stay elsewhere now!

Keep this in mind though - we only stay at the Poly because of a deal (we go in Jan so there's always a discount)…I can't imagine paying full price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter