ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am soooo jealous…
I can understand the above poster being negative about the Polys condition but I was there where you are now for 10 days in september and it NEVER bothered me! Loved every minute of the whole resort…construction and all…of course I was only paying $189 a night soooooo that took the sting out…
glad they gave you your Fiji room facing west..my favorite! you on the third floor with a balcony?

Yes, third floor with balcony. Beautiful view!

There is no CL lounge?

I do appreciate your perspective, btw.

My expectations are a functional CL lounge, pleasant CMs, monorail access, and some amount of available CS such as Captain Cooks. We don't plan on hanging out on the beach or swimming in the pool.

30 minutes of a leaff blower at 730. Again.

I used to love this place. Now I hate it with fire of a thousand suns.

The club is open and okay, except for being told "five minutes until last call" last night, so all the refreshments were gone before the fireworks started. Not a huge deal, but just sort of rude, you know? The C Ms have been frustrated but fine -- except for my incident at the boat dock Monday where he dock had water rushing over it and the C M wouldn't let us go on the floating dock to get around it.

I'm not trying to sound mean. But this has been awful all the way around and if I can help someone not have their vacation ruined, I feel like I ought to. If I could figure out how to post pics from my phone I'd show you and will once I get home. So I'm sorry if I sound whiny, but I don't want anyone to assume he work here it's not a big deal because it is.

Like Eastern, I understand and appreciate whiporee's perspective. Whiporee adds good info to the discussion. Posts like these help us to manage expectations and plan accordingly. As do the "straight into the construction pit" photos available on the boards and on facebook.

Everyone has different needs for different trips. We're staying at GF and AKL before marathon weekend because Poly construction would bother us when we're hanging out at the resort and spending a few hours in the park each day. But then we're moving to Poly for marathon weekend for the reasons Eastern and I mentioned earlier. In my case, for example, we'll never know what's happening at the resort at 7:30am. We're waking up at 4am on Thursday for the 5K, 7am on Friday for DHS, 3am (runners) or 6am (spectators) on Saturday for the half marathon, 3am or 6am on Sunday for the marathon and 5am for the airport on Monday.

Tim123 also makes a good point - cost is a factor. If you feel you paid too much, it's going to have a significant impact. When we received a complimentary upgrade to CL once, we thought everything about CL was wonderful and perfect. When paying an extra $150/night for CL, I can't help it - my expectations are higher because I want to feel like it's a good value. Another example - I LOVE All Star Music in part because I paid $67/night for it. That's a crazy low rate and my expectations were crazy low as a result.

So that's why I think the answer to "should I stay at Poly during construction" depends on the circumstances. I hope everyone continues to post the good and the not-so-good to help us sort that out based on our individual circumstances.

I know the construction is still a ways to go before completion as a whole, but what about the Lobby? It should not take much more to complete that I would assume. Will be surprised if it was not complete come April.

Like Eastern, I understand and appreciate whiporee's perspective. Whiporee adds good info to the discussion. Posts like these help us to manage expectations and plan accordingly. As do the "straight into the construction pit" photos available on the boards and on facebook.

Everyone has different needs for different trips. We're staying at GF and AKL before marathon weekend because Poly construction would bother us when we're hanging out at the resort and spending a few hours in the park each day. But then we're moving to Poly for marathon weekend for the reasons Eastern and I mentioned earlier. In my case, for example, we'll never know what's happening at the resort at 7:30am. We're waking up at 4am on Thursday for the 5K, 7am on Friday for DHS, 3am (runners) or 6am (spectators) on Saturday for the half marathon, 3am or 6am on Sunday for the marathon and 5am for the airport on Monday.

Tim123 also makes a good point - cost is a factor. If you feel you paid too much, it's going to have a significant impact. When we received a complimentary upgrade to CL once, we thought everything about CL was wonderful and perfect. When paying an extra $150/night for CL, I can't help it - my expectations are higher because I want to feel like it's a good value. Another example - I LOVE All Star Music in part because I paid $67/night for it. That's a crazy low rate and my expectations were crazy low as a result.

So that's why I think the answer to "should I stay at Poly during construction" depends on the circumstances. I hope everyone continues to post the good and the not-so-good to help us sort that out based on our individual circumstances.

I definitely agree here.

Originally we had planned to stay at the Poly this past August but over the months, the more I read about the construction both on these boards and on Tikiman's pages, the more we knew we wouldn't be happy with so much of it so we switched to the GF and were glad we did.

Now, we are currently booked at the Poly for next August and took advantage of the magical deal but I'll be closely monitoring all the construction in these next few months before making our final decision. August is HOT and we spend a good deal of time at the resort so the pool being completed is a must for us and while we could deal with some construction, I would never even consider a stay if it still looked like it does today...but that's me.

I also do hope folks continue to report back on the good, the bad and the ugly as it does help folks like me sort it all out.

I am soooo jealous…
I can understand the above poster being negative about the Polys condition but I was there where you are now for 10 days in september and it NEVER bothered me! Loved every minute of the whole resort…construction and all…of course I was only paying $189 a night soooooo that took the sting out…
glad they gave you your Fiji room facing west..my favorite! you on the third floor with a balcony?

How do you get it for so cheap?

We just returned from the Wilderness lodge but if love to pay half the price and stay at the Poly next fall.

We checked in yesterday. We are on the opposite side of the resort from the construction so it's not been an issue thus far other than a little changing direction when walking around. Our room faces the GF and that beach. It's just beautiful and quiet.

One of the GCH elevators was not working last night so that was a hassle last night coming in from after Wishes with sleeping children in strollers and needing to get downstairs after getting off the monorail. But that was not a construction issue. Just an elevator that had bad timing in its breaking down. They were actively working on it at 11pm.

I can certainly understand whiporee's posts. If I were on that side of the resort, I'd be rather upset. When we first checked in, we were given a room in Fiji facing the marina and the volcano pool area. I almost cried cause they had told us we'd be on the beach side. I immediately called and they gave us a new room.

Too cold to swim at this point so we've not missed the pool!

Also, maybe my perspective is a little different cause we spent our first night at ASMo. Oh my, it was crowded, loud (all night. Could hear people outside, walls are like paper) and the beds and pillows were terrible. I'm lucky if I got 45 mins sleep that night. Here at the poly, it's quiet in our room, co an hear sounds if I open the sliding door but not if it's closed and the bed is comfy. Slept like a baby last night.

Maybe you are in the room I checked out of yesterday. Fiji 3rd floor facing the wedding pavilion and beach. I really enjoyed my stay but there is a lot of construction. It is so convenient, the room was nice and I had no problem with noise or anything.

Completely agree with you and especially the last part. I've asked that question myself here on the board as to whether we should stay at the Poly. I received a mix bag of answers cause it really is such a personal decision taking into account your tolerance and patience levels, expectations, price you are paying, etc. we have only been minorly inconvenienced and we are here on a good rate so it's not going to be as big of an issue for us as it may be for someone else.

Maybe you are in the room I checked out of yesterday. Fiji 3rd floor facing the wedding pavilion and beach. I really enjoyed my stay but there is a lot of construction. It is so convenient, the room was nice and I had no problem with noise or anything.

Oh maybe! How funny! I hate to post my room number since we are here for 6 more nights. It is a great room!

Oh maybe! How funny! I hate to post my room number since we are here for 6 more nights. It is a great room!

You should be angle to hear the luau if you open the balcony door.

I also got a great rate through a group travel deal as Disney moved us from CSR to the Poly for the same rate which was already discounted. So, that was another factor in being willing to deal with construction.

I definitely agree here. Originally we had planned to stay at the Poly this past August but over the months, the more I read about the construction both on these boards and on Tikiman's pages, the more we knew we wouldn't be happy with so much of it so we switched to the GF and were glad we did. Now, we are currently booked at the Poly for next August and took advantage of the magical deal but I'll be closely monitoring all the construction in these next few months before making our final decision. August is HOT and we spend a good deal of time at the resort so the pool being completed is a must for us and while we could deal with some construction, I would never even consider a stay if it still looked like it does today...but that's me. I also do hope folks continue to report back on the good, the bad and the ugly as it does help folks like me sort it all out.

We are in the same boat and I am doing the same thing. We are booked at poly in August and like you we alway spend at least a few hours poolside each afternoon. The pool being done is a must for us as well. If come spring time that doesn't look to be the case, it saddens me that we may have to move resorts.

It won't be. It won't even be close to close to being done.

The resort monorail works fine but ugly. TTC is an ugly hike.

Think about another resort. Maybe time to give GF a try, at least for a while.

Thank you for the feedback. I've been staying at the poly since I was18 months old so it's definitely a sentimental hotel for me. I looked at GF but I'm doing a solo trip with my 2yo DD and wanted to be closer to the monorail than GF could guarantee. Looked at contemporary too but we just stayed there in September and I don't love it. Fun memories from my 10th bday but even under construction I just can't say no to the poly! Honestly as long as the monorail is up and running and there isn't construction in my actual hotel room I'm happy!

We are in the same boat and I am doing the same thing. We are booked at poly in August and like you we alway spend at least a few hours poolside each afternoon. The pool being done is a must for us as well. If come spring time that doesn't look to be the case, it saddens me that we may have to move resorts.

Right now, we're booked for the BC second week in August. Crazy low price. I sent my TA an email asking about a split stay - first three nights at Poly CL (the magical deal can be hard to pass up), then move to the BC for the rest of the week. But if there's no main pool in August, forget it. I'd rather ride the bus to MK with a toddler and have Stormalong Bay a few days more.

I definitely agree here.

Originally we had planned to stay at the Poly this past August but over the months, the more I read about the construction both on these boards and on Tikiman's pages, the more we knew we wouldn't be happy with so much of it so we switched to the GF and were glad we did.

Now, we are currently booked at the Poly for next August and took advantage of the magical deal but I'll be closely monitoring all the construction in these next few months before making our final decision. August is HOT and we spend a good deal of time at the resort so the pool being completed is a must for us and while we could deal with some construction, I would never even consider a stay if it still looked like it does today...but that's me.

I also do hope folks continue to report back on the good, the bad and the ugly as it does help folks like me sort it all out.

We are in the same boat, booked last Aug, switched to GF, and now booked Poly for next Aug. Following Tikiman to keep up to date with construction. I think it will be ok by August. Main pool expected to be open, but East pool will close for refurb. Lobby should be done too?
If no main pool guess we will have to switch again. But I'm Optomistic. Last August was sooooo hot, :scared1: and I've been a lot in August and last one took the cake!! We spent a lot of time at GF pools!!

How do you get it for so cheap?

We just returned from the Wilderness lodge but if love to pay half the price and stay at the Poly next fall.

There is a 'magical' special every summer….from an agency we are not allowed to mention on these boards. It runs August 17 to September 7 this year 2015…
the rate is $199 this year. $220 with tax. Standard room. Wish I could help you with info but its frowned on here and I have been threatened with banishment if I mention the name. Sorry. Hope you read tru the lines and find the deal.
Tim

Right now, we're booked for the BC second week in August. Crazy low price. I sent my TA an email asking about a split stay - first three nights at Poly CL (the magical deal can be hard to pass up), then move to the BC for the rest of the week. But if there's no main pool in August, forget it. I'd rather ride the bus to MK with a toddler and have Stormalong Bay a few days more.

We are in the same boat, booked last Aug, switched to GF, and now booked Poly for next Aug. Following Tikiman to keep up to date with construction. I think it will be ok by August. Main pool expected to be open, but East pool will close for refurb. Lobby should be done too?
If no main pool guess we will have to switch again. But I'm Optomistic. Last August was sooooo hot, :scared1: and I've been a lot in August and last one took the cake!! We spent a lot of time at GF pools!!

I've also booked the Magical deal for next August. The Disney website says construction will be completed in "early 2015".

I sure hope the Great Ceremonial House and Nanea Volcano pool are both completed by August...

Martin

Following Tikiman's updates, I'm "hopeful" that the main pool will be open by August.

You're not kidding it was hot! In the 9 days we were there, it literally only rained twice and it wasn't even the typical August afternoon t-storms we've come to expect. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have the weather we had then the typical rain every afternoon, but it was oppressive and there were days when no one wanted to go to the park until later in the evening. That trip forced us to really slow down and we too spent a lot of time at the GF pool :).

I've also booked the Magical deal for next August. The Disney website says construction will be completed in "early 2015".
I sure hope the Great Ceremonial House and Nanea Volcano pool are both completed by August...

Martin

There's no way that the construction will be done by early 2015 but like everyone else, I'm hopeful that by August the GCH and the main pool will be...keeping my fingers crossed.

wendow:

So glad you were able to get your request. Like I said before it is one of the nicest "standard-view" rooms you can get IMO. I loved sitting on our balcony with my coffee and listening to the tropical music. It was probably the BEST visit I have every had at the POLY.
We never stay "club-level" but I will add that I probably would not be happy paying "club-level" prices at the POLY now. They do seem to be getting the worst of it.
This is the most magical time of the year to be at WDW IMO.

I'm ok with some minor construction going on, but the GCH and main pool definitely need to be done by August in order for me to stay there. I been following tikiman religiously and it seems like both should be done. From what a gather DVC construction and the east pool will be getting refurbed still in August and I'm ok with that. If by some chance their is still a lot of construction going on we will most likely switch to YC or BC. Will have a 6 month old with us so either being on the monorail loop or at an Epcot resort is a must for us. The less I have to get on a bus with the baby the better!

We stayed at BC in May as part of the split stay and SAB was awesome my DS 12 did not want to give up that pool when we moved over to AKL!

I'm ok with some minor construction going on, but the GCH and main pool definitely need to be done by August in order for me to stay there. I been following tikiman religiously and it seems like both should be done. From what a gather DVC construction and the east pool will be getting refurbed still in August and I'm ok with that. If by some chance their is still a lot of construction going on we will most likely switch to YC or BC. Will have a 6 month old with us so either being on the monorail loop or at an Epcot resort is a must for us. The less I have to get on a bus with the baby the better!

We stayed at BC in May as part of the split stay and SAB was awesome my DS 12 did not want to give up that pool when we moved over to AKL!

I went ahead and booked the split stay. I can always switch back to the full week at BC if it seems the pool won't be done. We have a GV CL room booked, so I'm slightly concerned about construction around the quiet pool. But my daughter can nap through a lot of noise - she has three older siblings. Like you, I don't mind a bit of construction, but a pool is a must. I've been following Tikiman, too. Hopefully we'll be in the clear by August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter