ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I agree I also like cocktails on vacation when I hardly drink here at home!

Sept 2013 Poly, 2012 Disney Fantasy, BC CL, GF CL, POR, 2011 Poly CL, CR, Poly CL, AKL, 2010 Poly CL, ASMu 2009, SSR 2008, Pop 2006, POR , Asmo 2005, Asmo 2003, offsite 2000, 1999,1989, Poly 1980, offsite 1979

Just did our 60-day check-in for our October trip. We're there for the Gartner Symposium. Usually stay at YC for the conference but YC/BC sold out at the conference rate within a day or two.

Requested Fiji patio, which is where we stayed in February. I'll be interested to see what we end up with being a part of the conference this time.

Just did our 60-day check-in for our October trip. We're there for the Gartner Symposium. Usually stay at YC for the conference but YC/BC sold out at the conference rate within a day or two.

Requested Fiji patio, which is where we stayed in February. I'll be interested to see what we end up with being a part of the conference this time.

I hope you have a great trip :goodvibes.

Has anyone come home from the Polynesian with unwanted guests? We came home midnight Friday and my daughter was scratching her head. I told her it was just from the chlorine. Saturday she was still itchy and sure enough she has head lice. It could have been from the parks or the airplane on the way over or from the hotel just wondering if anyone is there now or been home and experienced this. We have never had to desk with this before and I'm a little freaked

Has anyone come home from the Polynesian with unwanted guests? We came home midnight Friday and my daughter was scratching her head. I told her it was just from the chlorine. Saturday she was still itchy and sure enough she has head lice. It could have been from the parks or the airplane on the way over or from the hotel just wondering if anyone is there now or been home and experienced this. We have never had to desk with this before and I'm a little freaked

According to all of the medical info I can find on lice, if you are to the itchy scratchy phase, they have been in your head for a few weeks. Has your daughter been to any summer camps at all?? If you just got back Friday, she probably picked them up before getting to the Poly.

Hope the Mousekeeping was pretty thorough in the room you were in, so it doesn't spread. :eek:

Can you post a link? I don't do Facebook. Thanks for the info! :)

If you're not on FB I'm not sure you could see the page without being signed in. Steve basically said that his sources have been telling him that DVC construction would start in September. Today he was told the construction walls would be going up September 7th.

Later in a reply to Steve's post someone commented that they were told Tahiti is just being painted and would be open for their stay in Oct. I guess time will tell, although I don't know why they would put up walls just for painting. I wonder if WDW realizes that people would actually appreciate honesty and info when they are spending thousands of dollars on these trips, rather than all the secretiveness (unless CM's aren't even told except on a need to know basis so as not to fuel the rumour mill ...)

CMs are only told on a need to know basis. They aren't purposely holding back information...they simply don't have it to give you

I stayed at BC recently for a conference but would have loved to have been bumped over to the Poly ;) very cool!

Can you post a link? I don't do Facebook. Thanks for the info! :)
http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/index.php

His website. Not sure is he has updated it yet. Hoping it's not till 9/7. I'll be in Disney on Wednesday. Staying at CBR for a week....then the Poly for a week. First time back at the Poly since I was a kid. I am so excited and so happy that there should be no construction. I was scared for a minute with all the talk. I want to be there before they ruin it. It's pretty sad. I really miss the old days. It seems like the experience I had as a kid...outweighs the experiences my kids have now.

While I'm disappointed about the construction starting Sept 7th ( day before we check in)with it being at Tahiti tho I'm hoping we won't really notice it at the Hawaii LH or that part of the beach.. Thinking maybe only walking to TTC which isn't a big deal...

Sept 2013 Poly, 2012 Disney Fantasy, BC CL, GF CL, POR, 2011 Poly CL, CR, Poly CL, AKL, 2010 Poly CL, ASMu 2009, SSR 2008, Pop 2006, POR , Asmo 2005, Asmo 2003, offsite 2000, 1999,1989, Poly 1980, offsite 1979

CMs are only told on a need to know basis. They aren't purposely holding back information...they simply don't have it to give you

I didn't mean to sound like I was blaming frontline CM's when I mentioned secretiveness, I meant management. It really adds to confusion/stress/misinformation etc when info is being leaked, people are asking questions and the people who actually work at WDW cant provide guests with accurate information. I know development plans and schedules are always fluid and changing, but, once something is definitely on the books information should be given out, even if it has to be qualified with "at this current time, subject to change ..." As an example, we are booked for March. It sounds like we will be facing construction walls on the east (?) side of the resort around SP & Tahiti, probably the volcano pool and possibly part of the GCH. It is really unfair for WDW to be letting people book without any hints of what will probably be going on.

Honestly, management doesn't always know either. There are so many levels of management and information trickles down very slowly.
I get that guests are paying an amazing amount of money to go to WDW and feel they should be made aware of construction so they can make an informed decision. WDW is constantly under construction somewhere, someplace. Plans change, deadlines pass things happen. My best advice and take this for what it's worth is to: book what you want and if by the time your trip comes up, construction is going to seriously impact your vacation then request a change.
Worrying about what may happen and when is only going to cause stress.
Guests aren't the only ones concerned about the Poly, cast is too

If you're not on FB I'm not sure you could see the page without being signed in. Steve basically said that his sources have been telling him that DVC construction would start in September. Today he was told the construction walls would be going up September 7th.

Later in a reply to Steve's post someone commented that they were told Tahiti is just being painted and would be open for their stay in Oct. I guess time will tell, although I don't know why they would put up walls just for painting. I wonder if WDW realizes that people would actually appreciate honesty and info when they are spending thousands of dollars on these trips, rather than all the secretiveness (unless CM's aren't even told except on a need to know basis so as not to fuel the rumour mill ...)

Good point. I really appreciate your transcribing the info for me.

http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/index.php

His website. Not sure is he has updated it yet. Hoping it's not till 9/7. I'll be in Disney on Wednesday. Staying at CBR for a week....then the Poly for a week. First time back at the Poly since I was a kid. I am so excited and so happy that there should be no construction. I was scared for a minute with all the talk. I want to be there before they ruin it. It's pretty sad. I really miss the old days. It seems like the experience I had as a kid...outweighs the experiences my kids have now.

I did check the Tikiman Official Website, as I do frequently, and it did not have the additional about construction walls going up. At least as of last night.

I didn't mean to sound like I was blaming frontline CM's when I mentioned secretiveness, I meant management. It really adds to confusion/stress/misinformation etc when info is being leaked, people are asking questions and the people who actually work at WDW cant provide guests with accurate information. I know development plans and schedules are always fluid and changing, but, once something is definitely on the books information should be given out, even if it has to be qualified with "at this current time, subject to change ..." As an example, we are booked for March. It sounds like we will be facing construction walls on the east (?) side of the resort around SP & Tahiti, probably the volcano pool and possibly part of the GCH. It is really unfair for WDW to be letting people book without any hints of what will probably be going on.

I couldn't agree more. I know it's a slippery slope, but I feel like there should be a better system of giving out information. If construction is important to guests, then they should know of at least the possibility. I also know that timelines are subject to change, so sometimes that information is not definitive.

Thanks to Tikiman, it seems that sometimes we have more information than they do, and at least we can use that information to help us plan.

I'm kind of happy the construction will start when we're there. This will give me a visual of where the bungalows will go. I'm not worried about the noise, as we spend the majority of the day away from the resort and I'm not worried about the view as Disney always does an excellent job at concealing these things if they can. Even if they can't, for example BLT and GFV which certainly did not bother or ruin any views, I'm just thankful to be at WDW again, let alone the Poly!!! In fact, each year we went back during the construction of BLT and GFV, it was interesting to see the progress that had been made. I am really excited about all the changes!!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Oh god I hope not! My youngest just got rid of lice in June. My Dh checked the beds for bed bugs before we were allowed in the room.

I'm kind of happy the construction will start when we're there. This will give me a visual of where the bungalows will go. I'm not worried about the noise, as we spend the majority of the day away from the resort and I'm not worried about the view as Disney always does an excellent job at concealing these things if they can. Even if they can't, for example BLT and GFV which certainly did not bother or ruin any views, I'm just thankful to be at WDW again, let alone the Poly!!! In fact, each year we went back during the construction of BLT and GFV, it was interesting to see the progress that had been made. I am really excited about all the changes!!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Generally construction doesn't bother me. They had started the long house reno's last fall when we were there and there were construction walls around the building adjacent to ours. We had no issues with noise. The problem with what we're hearing now is that Tahiti will be closed. We are booked TPV. That takes that majority of the standard TPV rooms out of inventory. We're already hearing of people being moved to different resorts (standard view people on here, but obviously there seems to be an issue with the room inventory). I don't want to get a call in a few months and be told that we're being moved to GF or CR. However, I don't want to move our reservation now based on no confirmation of any of this from WDW.

Add on to of that the pool probably being closed, plus probably part of the GCH, that really has the potential to directly affect our stay ... that's not just seeing walls & machinery. I'm not sure if we would change resorts, but more info on what's going on would help us plan accordingly, ie. maybe book CL vs. standard TPV (but we don't want to incur the cost now on a "maybe"), making sure our ADR's are at non-affected restaurants, etc. Having to change resorts or ADR's late in the game doesn't necessarily allow you to figure out a good plan "B" when there may not be availability by then to implement it!

I agree. I'm kind of excited to see what's going to happen and construction will not bother me in the least bit. We are booked CL in December so if construction walls are going up next month, construction may be well under way by the time we get there. If we were going in the summer or even fall, a pool closure would make me rethink staying there as we do spend a lot of time at the pool and we do love the volcano pool, but since we are there 3 days before Christmas, I'm not going to let that effect our choice. It may or may not be warm enough to swim anyway, but if it is swim weather and the pool is closed, that's fine as we'll just catch the Poly again at a later date. I'm very excited to try CL, so construction or no construction, we'll be at the Poly in December :goodvibes.

My family will be checking into Poly in 11 days! :banana:

I just have some last minute questions that I couldn't find answers to:

1. What time does Kona Island open in the morning? And they sell Kona coffee there, right?

2. Do they provide brown sugar packets or only white? I don't use white sugar in my coffee so I need to know if I should to bring my own brown sugar.

3. Does anyone know the status of the fridge situation? I am not sure if we should take the chance of ordering from Garden Grocer and then not have a fridge to store our milk, yogurt, etc. We will have a car so we could always make a quick run to a local grocery store.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

I agree! I am so anxious to see what will happen to our beautiful resort. What's that saying? Change is one of the few things you can count on?

I agree. I'm kind of excited to see what's going to happen and construction will not bother me in the least bit. We are booked CL in December so if construction walls are going up next month, construction may be well under way by the time we get there. If we were going in the summer or even fall, a pool closure would make me rethink staying there as we do spend a lot of time at the pool and we do love the volcano pool, but since we are there 3 days before Christmas, I'm not going to let that effect our choice. It may or may not be warm enough to swim anyway, but if it is swim weather and the pool is closed, that's fine as we'll just catch the Poly again at a later date. I'm very excited to try CL, so construction or no construction, we'll be at the Poly in December :goodvibes.

I think that's a fantastic attitude! I can't believe we leave a week from tomorrow! Since we weren't able to stay at Poly last year, it will be that much more special to us to be back at our favorite resort, and to be back at the happiest place on Earth!

We stayed at Poly a few years ago in late November/early December. The first part of our stay was nice and warm, and the second part was down right chilly. It didn't bother dd however, she swam regardless of the temperature. :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter