ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received the "upgrade" call (posted about it earlier) and thought it was weird too. I have a standard room booked. Is there standard rooms in Tahiti? I guess they are going to try and move some standard room people?

If there is a lot of stuff going on with the lagoon construction, can we still go out to see the fireworks? Sorry, I've never been out to that part of the resort so I'm a little disoriented.

Yes. The whole south side of Tahiti is standard views.

We have to wait and see if they even start as they say they are but I can't see them even keeping Tahiti open once they start work. Some of the work is much too close to the rooms to even have people there for safety reasons.

Does the Poly have any King Bed standard rooms? Or are they only in the suites?

There are king bed rooms in Samoa, Niue (Handicap Accessable) Rarotonga and Fiji. There are some in the suites also.

Other than the suites there are no king beds with lagoon or Themepark views or in the Hawaii club level building.

My family's first trip to WDW is the week of Thanksgiving. Staying at the Poly in a TPV. Had requested the Tahiti longhouse as I was told it was being refurbished. Stressing now with everything I've read about Tahiti being closed. Can anyone tell me how the other long houses with TPV are? Do I need to change my request? Since it's our first trip, I don't want to stay in a rundown room.

We've requested Tahiti for the week after Thanksgiving. I'm waiting to see what happens when it closes. I guess it's possible (although unlikely in light of the information that Steve (Tikiman) has shared) that they'll close Tahiti and refurb it like they have the other longhouses, in which case we'll want to keep our request for that building. On the other hand, if Tahiti doesn't reopen before our trip, we'll have no choice but to change our request.

For great info on all the longhouses, see Tikiman's site: http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/planning-quick/quick-which-longhouse-

I returned the call from my earlier post. Yes, it was the offer to move to a lagoon view at the GF for the same price. We were booked in an AP discount standard view room at the Poly from September 17-20, just the three of us.

I was really undecided. But I started thinking if I refuse and get there and there is something going on at the Poly that isn't great I will regret it maybe. Then I thought I could get there and they have the right to move me next door anyway, this way I have some notice.

Not much to do though. I am going to keep our dining reservations at the Poly that were already made. I did ask the representative if the walkway will be open between the GF and the Poly. He said that was a good question because he was not even aware there was one!

I have been trying to keep up with the boards and the updates but DS is a handful lately. Would someone be able to tell me the current status of the walkway?

Well, I need to go look at the GF thread and pics now. Never stayed there and probably would not have other than this. I am excited about the water play area. I think DS (19 months this week) will enjoy it. He had a crazy good time at BLT's pop jets area in April and my one concern was Poly not having something like that. A bright side.

I hope I did not make a mistake. :guilty:

Today is our last day we had a great week. I will say last night before the fireworks we must have counted 10 people at least stealing the pineapple dole whips. Just walking right up making their swirl and walking right out. We were shocked. We just left electric umbrella at Epcot and a family of 6 takes out their resort mug and fills them all. I've noticed a lot of people getting away with a lot of stuff this trip!

Today is our last day we had a great week. I will say last night before the fireworks we must have counted 10 people at least stealing the pineapple dole whips. Just walking right up making their swirl and walking right out. We were shocked. We just left electric umbrella at Epcot and a family of 6 takes out their resort mug and fills them all. I've noticed a lot of people getting away with a lot of stuff this trip!

If they had the little Dole whip cup to fill than they paid for it but if they were filling something else like their mugs than I'm guessing they didn't. Sometimes when it is busy like 4th of July they have a CM there to fill the cup for you.

Yes, it does seem like the current BB offers are for the rest of this year. I found a BB offer thread last night and some people are thinking, going by dates in years past, that BB offers for next year will come out in the next couple weeks. Let's hope they're right!!!

Last year when we were there the 1st wk of Sept the BB offer was for FD, the previous year, same time, the BB offer was for 40% off RO, both offers were valid the following year.

That's exactly what I'm thinking!!!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

We're the same way. If we go early fall, it's really not doable to go back just a month or so later :rolleyes1. I too remember the great BBs they had years ago that extended into the next year. I agree that discounts are offered different than how they were in past years. I'm just thankful that we are flexible in the way that we can work our vacations around discounts if need be ;).

I hope you get a BB for next year when you're there in a few weeks pixiedust:.

I agree.....to see 40% discounts come back would be nice :goodvibes

I guess that's what I am remembering. In years past, we were travelling in September and October, so likely seeing BB offers for the following year. Now that dd is in fifth grade, it's just too hard to take her out of school without her having to struggle to catch up. Add to that she is thankfully very conscientious about her schoolwork, and has actually said she does not want us to take her out of school, even to her favorite place on Earth! Thanks for the Wishes for a 2014 offer when we are there. I plan to do a live report (to the best of my ability) while we are there, so I will let everyone know. It's only 10 or 11 days away, so I'm not holding out too much hope that the offer will be different. Dh wants to do a Disney Cruise for the first time - not sure how I feel about it. I'm sure it would be super fun, and everyone I have spoken to who has done one raves about it. I just know I would miss the world. BUT, if all this construction is still going on next year, and it seems like it will be, then maybe it's not such a bad idea.

*Tahiti is not getting refurbished
It was scheduled to close on July 14 and has not closed yet. Chances are that it will not get the new room design and will close sometime this year. Assumptions are that it would close when the work out along the beach for the bungalows starts that it would close and Disney sources say that the work to the beach and lagoon will start some time in September.

*Construction will begin on the beach soon for DVC
September is the target

*TP rooms don't all have a balcony/patio
The Theme Park view rooms in Tuvalu and Aotearoa second floor do not have balconies.

*Construction on the GCH is set to start this year
I doubt we will see the GCH work start this year but since there is no schedule available for that we don’t know. My guess would be sometime next year but before mid 2015 for sure.

Makes perfect sense to me. Take Tahiti right out of the mix when they start work on the beach. I agree that no one is going to want to pay for a LV or TPV room to see heavy construction equipment. I'm so interested to see what will happen!

That's pretty sad. I can't imagine what goes through people's minds for them to think that is ok.

I returned the call from my earlier post. Yes, it was the offer to move to a lagoon view at the GF for the same price. We were booked in an AP discount standard view room at the Poly from September 17-20, just the three of us.

I was really undecided. But I started thinking if I refuse and get there and there is something going on at the Poly that isn't great I will regret it maybe. Then I thought I could get there and they have the right to move me next door anyway, this way I have some notice.

Not much to do though. I am going to keep our dining reservations at the Poly that were already made. I did ask the representative if the walkway will be open between the GF and the Poly. He said that was a good question because he was not even aware there was one!

I have been trying to keep up with the boards and the updates but DS is a handful lately. Would someone be able to tell me the current status of the walkway?

Well, I need to go look at the GF thread and pics now. Never stayed there and probably would not have other than this. I am excited about the water play area. I think DS (19 months this week) will enjoy it. He had a crazy good time at BLT's pop jets area in April and my one concern was Poly not having something like that. A bright side.

I hope I did not make a mistake. :guilty:

Someone just came back from Poly and they posted pics of their family on the walkway to GF from Poly.

We stayed at GF CL June 2012 and it was a truly gorgeous resort I think youll really enjoy it.. I dont think they will move us b/c we are there 8-15th and in CL but I honestly would take it if they asked.. DH would be disappointed and not saying I wouldnt be b/c Poly is beautiful but GF is my second fave! Id be afraid if I didnt take it Id get moved to like CR or WL..lol

I just got a call from my AAA agent this morning, she got a call from Disney offering us an upgrade for both of our standard view rooms over to the GF lagoon view. We will be there from Sept 18-27. Edited to add I didn't make the switch.

tjay said:

Like a pp said, I wonder if they paid for the Dole Whip in advance and waited until they were finished with their meals?

Also, as far as the people filling their resort mugs up at Electric Umbrella, I wonder if their mugs were empty and the CM let them puchase a drink and just fill their mugs up instead of getting a cup from there? I think the QS places should allow that. It would save them money on buying cups and lessen the amount of waste, since Disney talks about going "green" and all.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

I had read on one of the posts about Magical Vacations Travel where someone had booked the Poly at a very discounted rate. I have looked through so many of the past days posts, but don't see it. Does anyone know about this travel company. Thank you.

I had read on one of the posts about Magical Vacations Travel where someone had booked the Poly at a very discounted rate. I have looked through so many of the past days posts, but don't see it. Does anyone know about this travel company. Thank you.

Yes, but I don’t think we can discuss them on here without getting in trouble. I use to work very closely with them and they set up both my ******** events in the past.

Question about the luggage?.. If you are dvc can't you pool hop? If that is still the case couldn't these luggage toters be dvc members visiting their favorite pool?

We have always shared a room and find the balconies/patio's to be a lifesavers when our kids were little. Some of our favorite memories are when the kids are asleep and DH and I hang out on the patio or balcony and take in the sights, have an adult beverage and talk about the highlights of day and what we are going to do tomorrow.

Some Poly Longhouses have no balconies on the 2nd floor, check out the tikiman website for detailed longhouse info. A balcony/patio is very important to us, so I always make that my 1st request.

We are still undecided whether to stay at the Poly and share a room and have to whisper for 9 days or stay at All Star Music in a family suite and be able to move around and make noise, but we are a little scared of the huge icons and bright lights of the resort. Thanks for your advice about the balconies - we would love to sit outside and read. I think in November though it gets dark around 6:30pm, so we wouldn't be able to see anything, especially any big Florida bugs. :)

OK' I am officially worried about our Nov stay in the Poly. We are travelling with an infant and small children so staying in the Poly was because we wanted to spend the middle of the day relaxing in a tranquil resort napping children and swimming.

Will the cnstruction create mid day noise that will affect naps and will the beach area be affected by construction equipment? If so, we need to go back to square one and get a new hotel. But we need the 30% RO off in order to afford to stay in the MK resorts and now they are all booked!!

What should we do? It's DH and my 35th wedding anniversary celebration as well as our DS completion of med school in October (and he needs a well earned break). We were so looking forward to staying here, but I know from staying elsewhere that we won't be happy with construction ongoing during our stay. Will Disney allow us to transfer our discount to another MK resort? I doubt it!

As bad as this news is I am so grateful to those who post the information here to allow us to make alternate arrangements. This knowledge could easily change the trip of a lifetime from a disaster to a dream come true.

Thank you so much to you, Tikiman, and others for all your kindly offered information and insight!! It means more than you probably know.

OK' I am officially worried about our Nov stay in the Poly. We are travelling with an infant and small children so staying in the Poly was because we wanted to spend the middle of the day relaxing in a tranquil resort napping children and swimming.

Will the cnstruction create mid day noise that will affect naps and will the beach area be affected by construction equipment? If so, we need to go back to square one and get a new hotel. But we need the 30% RO off in order to afford to stay in the MK resorts and now they are all booked!!

What should we do? It's DH and my 35th wedding anniversary celebration as well as our DS completion of med school in October (and he needs a well earned break). We were so looking forward to staying here, but I know from staying elsewhere that we won't be happy with construction ongoing during our stay. Will Disney allow us to transfer our discount to another MK resort? I doubt it!

As bad as this news is I am so grateful to those who post the information here to allow us to make alternate arrangements. This knowledge could easily change the trip of a lifetime from a disaster to a dream come true.

Thank you so much to you, Tikiman, and others for all your kindly offered information and insight!! It means more than you probably know.

Hi babs, we are in the same boat and my dh is dying to stay here so we are rolling the dice on this one and hoping all will be ok. I was advised by a cm that if there is too much noise for my kids and disturbing them to let someone know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter