• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are still here we leave Friday after some glitches at check in and a room issue things are going well. We are in Tokelau. I called and booked and I requested adjoining rooms with my inlaws then decided if we had ground floor patio we didn't really need adjoining rooms I must have called 4 times to change it an make sure it was changed. I then requested Niue since mil can't walk far with Samoa second. We were given Tokelau with adjoining rooms that request never came off even though I was assured it was. I would make sure before you book you know what you want because for us that was set in stone and Even though I was told it was changed it never was and that's why I didn't get my change request longhouse. Our fridge works great also. We are also close to the buses in Tokelau and not far from gch we face the quiet pool which my older kids enjoy they haven't even wanted to go to the other pool it is noisy and crowded with little kids and they are 16 & 13 so they like the quiet pool

Here are my other thoughts on the poly:

Disclaimer-I love the poly and won't stay anywhere else despite any negative things I might add!

Disclaimer 2-typing from phone since iPad isn't near me so there might be typos.

Ok-

The bathroom stinks. I think someone might of mentioned that a few pages ago. The 2 towel racks in front of the sink are annoying and the towel hanging thing that is 2 feet from the shower is not right. I have to scream for my Dh and he screams for me when we finish showering to get a towel. As do my kids.

They could put a shelf in the bathroom. It would be nice so all our crap hanging out doesn't look so messy!

We noticed a leak in the GCH the other day. It was upstairs I think near Ohana, well that area.

My Dh thinks that the pool slide is decaying. He knew there were drips all over from the slide and we wondered why the waterfall wasn't on (its been 5 years since we have been here).

The best thing that I can think of is on Sunday we were sitting by the main pool. Two CMs came up to us to ask for our room key. So we showed them and it wrist banded. I just wish they would do it daily or that there was a kiosk. I would happily walk up with my room keys. My sister went up to them to get her wrist band. But they kicked a family out that had just walked in. They had a child in an infant car seat and another one around 2. Too bad so sad. If you don't want to pay to stay here please don't take up table space!

Oh and the table that I went to. The cooler should of clued me in! The little girl said "we aren't staying here just using the pool". It took all if me just to smile and say something nice about the pool to the little girl vs yelling at her parents.

Oh and he quiet pool, I forgot I should bring my soap and shampoo so I can wash during my bath.

Ok time to get moving. I have a busy day at the pool. My while family is still sleeping but me.

ITA on the bathrooms - on exactly every point you mentioned. We leave today and found the whole shouting for a towel totally absurd - especially since they just refurbed them! And as for the pool? In our 8 days, we were only wristbanded once. And I agree that having a check-in kiosk for wristbands would be great. The volcano pool is crowded enough with just resort guests alone! Ok, rant done. I still love the Poly and we still had a fantastic trip!!!

ITA on the bathrooms - on exactly every point you mentioned. We leave today and found the whole shouting for a towel totally absurd - especially since they just refurbed them! And as for the pool? In our 8 days, we were only wristbanded once. And I agree that having a check-in kiosk for wristbands would be great. The volcano pool is crowded enough with just resort guests alone! Ok, rant done. I still love the Poly and we still had a fantastic trip!!!

We must have missed the wristbanding last week, but I did see a family walk from the TTC to the pool with backpacks one day and I was soooooo tempted to say something to them. I'm glad they are checking room keys!!!

I agree about the pool and slide, I think that's why they will totally revamp it next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they ripped out the entire thing and started over. The volcano is cool but takes up a lot of valuable space that could be used to make the pool bigger. And if they really are adding DVC they need a bigger pool anyway. I'm excited to see all the changes! :thumbsup2

The bathroom didn't bother me. The only thing I didn't like was the door having glass in it because when one of the kids got up in the night to use the bathroom the light always woke me up. Also I wish they would have robe hooks on the back of the door. And a string to dry our bathing suits. But I did like the double sinks and the extra vanity area on the end. I was able to setup all my makeup and hair products down there and make my own little getting ready zone. :)

maxsmom said:
Ugh, finding this very frustrating. We still don't have a new fridge and we've been asking for 2 days. We checked in Sun and it didn't feel cold but I put our drinks in to try it. Came back late from MK to find our stuff warm and the whole cabinet very hot. My husband unplugged it b/c he was worried. It wasn't new b/c there was a good layer of dust. Called maintenance Mon and Tues and nothing. I went down to the front desk to ask when we got in to see what was going on & if we could get one Wed. It was too late for Tues night. I was told they all had been recalled and didn't know if I could get one b/c I don't need it for medicine. I really don't get how they can say they've all been replaced. On top of that the kids keep seeing a large "beetle" crawling around! We are on the third floor. I'm just glad I haven't seen it or I might wake up the entire building w/ my shriek. Other than that everything is great here.

The good is when we checked in @ 11:30 Sunday our request of 3rd floor Samoa was granted and it is on the volcano pool side and it was ready! We love the view & location.

We've also had issues w/ our cards & dining. They want us to tap and enter our pin for the dining plan but then it wants to charge it to our room instead of using the dining plan. They've tried reprogramming them but they've only worked once. In fact at BOG for lunch they never did go through but we didn't know that until we checked our total b/c there was nothing on our receipt to tell us. It just said coupon. So I went to the front desk to figure out what was wrong & told them about eating there and they said it didn't come off our CS credits nor was charged to our room and not to worry about it for the hassle.
I forgot to add that they think some of the card problems are b/c for some reason it is showing that we have magic bands!?!? They are having some technical issues.

Sorry you're dealing with that, that would be frustrating!!! My DH and I are trying the DDP for the 1st time so hopefully they link it to our cards correctly!!! Although, as far as I know, we have not been chosen to test the magic bands but I've heard they notify you 2 wks prior to your arrival date, tomorrow will be 4 wks for us. I hope the rest of your trip goes more smoothly!

monorailsilver said:
If I wasn't lazy I would post my view right now. I sitting at the main pool waiting for it to open and my view is of the castle. Can't he better then that!

So despite some maintenance issues, I love the poly.

What we love-the view, the sounds from over there (that would be me picking my head up an looking at the MK).

The monorail hands down. We are officially done with the buses this trip which makes us thrilled so now we just have 3 park days left plus another pool day like today and the day we leave.

We live the short walk to the TTC to the Epcot monorail.

I guess I really can't explain why I love the poly. We started staying here in 1975 and I have stayed other places and it just comes down to the fact that I love the monorail and the view.

My husband stays at some pretty nice hotels for work as well and I have brought him to all star sports for a night and he hated it and then I brought him to the WL for a night and he wasn't overly thrilled and I finally got him to stay at the poly and he won't stay anywhere else. I tries to get him to do a split stay on this trip to the BC as well but he said no!

Yes, a huge draw to the Poly for us is location. It's so nice watching Wishes from the beach, if you just want to relax instead of dealing with the crowds. Then there is the monorail. We can hop on, one stop at the GF, next stop the MK. Also, when going to EPCOT we take the short walk to TTC and catch the EPCOT monorail. I love taking the boat from MK to the Poly at night. Then there is the resort music. What can I say except the music combined with the atmosphere transports you to the Polynesian Islands. All the CM's and Mousekeepers that we have encountered have been friendly and always greet us with Aloha!

angbuz said:
:banana::banana:Can't contain my excitement! We will be at the Poly for the first time 2 weeks from today!:banana::banana:

Exciting!!! Warning, you might be spoiled and not want to stay anywhere else!! :)
I hope you all have a wonderful time!!

heidijanesmith said:
For us it's:
1-Fantastic CM's, they went above and beyond when my DD got sick our 1st day at WDW
2-location, location, location-resort design The resort is so easy to get around. We loved our Niue longhouse last time and felt that we were steps from everything. During our most recent YC stay, our room was very far from the lobby, pool and food. We had quite a trek every time we wanted to get anywhere at YC.
3- location, location, location of the Poly vs theme parks. It's so easy to hop on the monorail to get to MK. A quick walk to the TTC can get you to EPCOT quickly or take a bus to AK or DS. We like the bus service, even though it shares with GF and/or CR, it was quick and easy. At the YC this last summer, the buses were horrible. They did not come quickly and then the YC buses to to BC, Swan, Dolphin and BW before going to your destination. This added so much time and took so long, we ended up taking a cab several times.
4- Size of the rooms. We have two teens and space is important. Plus each room has a daybed. This helps our family a lot. We can request something else besides a daybed, as it's standard.
5-Theme. The Poly is gorgeous and themed so beautifully. We spend a lot of time exploring the resort and enjoying the GCH and lounges
6-Wishes! We do like Wishes, but do not enjoy the pushing and crowding to see Wishes at MK. At the Poly, we watched Wishes from the pool, the beach, the GCH and this time we will watch from the CL lounge.
7-Food options. The Poly has great eateries, but you can also take the monorail and eat at CR or GF. So many great places to eat on the monorail line.
8-We were there in 2010, so it's been a while but our room was spotless. We never saw any issues with carpeting, mousekeeping, GCH or the pool looking rundown. We had wonderful mousekeeping.

My only issues were our fridge did not keep items cold, even though we had the door open. I had read this was an issue, so we brought a collapsible cooler with us. And the main pool was super crowded. I hope they do start checking hotel card and wristbands, that would eliminate so many problems with the pool.

I'm glad you mentioned the buses at the EPCOT resorts. I've been tossing around the idea of staying at BC or WL next year, I know not the Poly!!! I would like to try another one of the deluxe resorts out. I've been leaning towards WL and now even more so after hearing how the bus system at BC works.

TigrLvsPooh said:
We must have missed the wristbanding last week, but I did see a family walk from the TTC to the pool with backpacks one day and I was soooooo tempted to say something to them. I'm glad they are checking room keys!!!

I agree about the pool and slide, I think that's why they will totally revamp it next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they ripped out the entire thing and started over. The volcano is cool but takes up a lot of valuable space that could be used to make the pool bigger. And if they really are adding DVC they need a bigger pool anyway. I'm excited to see all the changes! :thumbsup2

The bathroom didn't bother me. The only thing I didn't like was the door having glass in it because when one of the kids got up in the night to use the bathroom the light always woke me up. Also I wish they would have robe hooks on the back of the door. And a string to dry our bathing suits. But I did like the double sinks and the extra vanity area on the end. I was able to setup all my makeup and hair products down there and make my own little getting ready zone. :)

Yes, they definitely need to be checking rooms keys or issuing a wrist band. Those of us who stay there pay a high price to do so and should not be without a seat because a family who is not staying there is taking up the seats.

I'm also excited to see all the changes!!! I can't wait to see the refurbished rooms in person.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

I'm glad you mentioned the buses at the EPCOT resorts. I've been tossing around the idea of staying at BC or WL next year, I know not the Poly!!! I would like to try another one of the deluxe resorts out. I've been leaning towards WL and now even more so after hearing how the bus system at BC works.

We also were so terribly unimpressed with the busing at the Epcot resorts. We stayed at BWI last year and while I loved the actual resort, and the ability to walk to Epcot and DHS is amazing, the busing everywhere else was just terrible. Having to share with BC, YC, Swan and Dolphin...they are just trying to cram too many people from too many resorts on the buses. Not to mention all the stops. It would take forever to get to AK, MK, or DTD just because the bus had to stop so many times. It is the #1 reason we probably won't ever stay at an Epcot resort again--my DH hated that aspect so much.

Even though AKL is kind of remote, we found the bus service there better. Jambo only shares with Kidani and with the exception of one time...I can't remember where we were going, but we stopped at a water park. Anyway, every other time the route was direct and we weren't actually on the bus very long. Almost never more than 15 minutes.

We also were so terribly unimpressed with the busing at the Epcot resorts. We stayed at BWI last year and while I loved the actual resort, and the ability to walk to Epcot and DHS is amazing, the busing everywhere else was just terrible. Having to share with BC, YC, Swan and Dolphin...they are just trying to cram too many people from too many resorts on the buses. Not to mention all the stops. It would take forever to get to AK, MK, or DTD just because the bus had to stop so many times. It is the #1 reason we probably won't ever stay at an Epcot resort again--my DH hated that aspect so much.

Even though AKL is kind of remote, we found the bus service there better. Jambo only shares with Kidani and with the exception of one time...I can't remember where we were going, but we stopped at a water park. Anyway, every other time the route was direct and we weren't actually on the bus very long. Almost never more than 15 minutes.

We definitely spend a lot of time at Epcot and the Studios when we stay at an Epcot resort because of the convenience of being so close. When we stayed at the YC in May we only went to MK one time the whole week, every other day was spent at Epcot and the Studios. Now on this trip we just took last week, staying at the Poly, we went to MK almost every day. We only went to the Studios once. It's funny how our resort dictates our vacation in so many ways. I think that's why I enjoy switching around, that way each vacation feels different. :)

We typically alter our stays between deluxe (Poly and WL) and mods. While we love, love, love the monorail access and the ability to walk to the TTC at Poly, the bus service to AK, DHS, and Downtown Disney definitely leaves something to be desired. For transportation to the parks, I actually prefer the mods.

Hey all. Things are going great now and we are having a great time. We were able to get our room moved up closer to the lounge which is a great help as I can walk more and I do not have to use the wheelchair most of the time. We have had some wonderful dinners and lunches and a lot of fun in the parks although the parks are a lot busier than I thought they would be.

As for things that were said about me. I thank those that stood up for me and said that what was said in my post was no different than what others have said. Why some felt the need to tear me down I don't know. I do not have any sense of entitlement as the poster seems to think she has because she fought in Iraq, nor was I asking for sympathy because of the wheelchair. Also my grammar, writing style, and spelling are all checked before I post so if it takes a certain person three times of reading it ummmm then who has the problem?? Oh and also I did pay for CL level garden view a fact that the poster who ripped me apart didn't seem to "get". I am not going to bring this up again and any further reports will just be about our trip but I felt the need to respond to what was done and clear up a few things. What was done hurt, to the point of crying, and was not fair or nice in the least bit.

I hope to get a few pictures up. I just have to figure out how to do it. If anyone knows could you PM me the directions? Please.

Today we doing a resort day. We are just going to hang around, rest, and have a good time. The kids want to do a couple of little pin things that they have going here today. It is so awesome to see my boys both enjoying something and helping each other out. I haven't quite seen this before. They love each other dearly but I don't think I have seen this level of unity before. I think dh and I are going to go out on the beach and cuddle in a hammock. We did have some alone time the other day when we let the kids go to MK by themselves, which was a first for us. The boys did exactly what they wanted to do. Dh and I had some quiet alone time and had a really nice lunch together at Kona. When we are at home alone time is at a premium and it was nice to be able to take some while we are here. At home we have only just begun to do date nights. Our kids are 19 and 15 but both are ADHD and getting them to cooperate with each other and get along has been difficult up till now. We are planning monthly date nights now. We have a restaurant we love to go to. Monthly I will just pick up a gift certificate for it so we are always ready to go and we will always have the money on hand to do it.

This trip has been a series of firsts for us. All good firsts, all growth firsts. It is a vacation I will not soon forget. Yep we had a rough beginning but I wouldn't trade this vacation for all the money in the world.

mirage0306 said:

The bus service would be a deal breaker for me. You would think they would have more buses for those resorts or not have that many resorts sharing the same bus!!

TigrLvsPooh said:
We definitely spend a lot of time at Epcot and the Studios when we stay at an Epcot resort because of the convenience of being so close. When we stayed at the YC in May we only went to MK one time the whole week, every other day was spent at Epcot and the Studios. Now on this trip we just took last week, staying at the Poly, we went to MK almost every day. We only went to the Studios once. It's funny how our resort dictates our vacation in so many ways. I think that's why I enjoy switching around, that way each vacation feels different. :)

That is interesting. When we stay at Poly we do spend the majority of our time at MK and EPCOT.

karriealex said:
Hey all. Things are going great now and we are having a great time. We were able to get our room moved up closer to the lounge which is a great help as I can walk more and I do not have to use the wheelchair most of the time. We have had some wonderful dinners and lunches and a lot of fun in the parks although the parks are a lot busier than I thought they would be.

As for things that were said about me. I thank those that stood up for me and said that what was said in my post was no different than what others have said. Why some felt the need to tear me down I don't know. I do not have any sense of entitlement as the poster seems to think she has because she fought in Iraq, nor was I asking for sympathy because of the wheelchair. Also my grammar, writing style, and spelling are all checked before I post so if it takes a certain person three times of reading it ummmm then who has the problem?? Oh and also I did pay for CL level garden view a fact that the poster who ripped me apart didn't seem to "get". I am not going to bring this up again and any further reports will just be about our trip but I felt the need to respond to what was done and clear up a few things. What was done hurt, to the point of crying, and was not fair or nice in the least bit.

I hope to get a few pictures up. I just have to figure out how to do it. If anyone knows could you PM me the directions? Please.

Today we doing a resort day. We are just going to hang around, rest, and have a good time. The kids want to do a couple of little pin things that they have going here today. It is so awesome to see my boys both enjoying something and helping each other out. I haven't quite seen this before. They love each other dearly but I don't think I have seen this level of unity before. I think dh and I are going to go out on the beach and cuddle in a hammock. We did have some alone time the other day when we let the kids go to MK by themselves, which was a first for us. The boys did exactly what they wanted to do. Dh and I had some quiet alone time and had a really nice lunch together at Kona. When we are at home alone time is at a premium and it was nice to be able to take some while we are here. At home we have only just begun to do date nights. Our kids are 19 and 15 but both are ADHD and getting them to cooperate with each other and get along has been difficult up till now. We are planning monthly date nights now. We have a restaurant we love to go to. Monthly I will just pick up a gift certificate for it so we are always ready to go and we will always have the money on hand to do it.

This trip has been a series of firsts for us. All good firsts, all growth firsts. It is a vacation I will not soon forget. Yep we had a rough beginning but I wouldn't trade this vacation for all the money in the world.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying your vacation and it's turned out to be a wonderful time!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

So funny that you mention that. DH was just saying how different our trip was in July since we stayed the first half at BC and the second half at Poly. he said it was like having a North and South vacation!!

So glad things are going well!!!

I LOVED spending resort time at the Poly. The hardest decision after exiting the monorail was do I have the Dole Whip first? or head to the Bar for a drink first :)

I love split stays and will only stay at an EP resort as part of a split, in large part, due to the problems with bus service to MK, AK, and HS (I only visit EP and HS from the EP resort and visit the other parks from a different resort).

Along those lines, the Poly is probably the only deluxe resort that I'd consider for spending an entire (non-split) vacation.

I found out something today by talking with staff. The reason the volcano pool rehab was shelved is because they are not completely sure what is happening with DVC. Because of the possibility of the quiet pool being effected they don't want to take down the volcano pool until everything is set. From what I am hearing a lot of what we are hearing is true and so is the confusion on the final plans. I was told to keep my ears open and that they should have a final plan within the next couple of months.

The staff here has been AWESOME and extremely friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable . I was totally floored the day we checked in, realized that we did not have the second part of the cord to charge my wheelchair, and they sent a runner out to find one and buy it. No where else would do that for you. I could very well have been trapped at the resort because I couldn't get around but they wouldn't let that happen.. I tried to tip the guy who did the running for me but he would not take it. I believe he is actually concierge staff and I should have realized they couldn't take tips. I do plan on getting him a little something and also contacting his boss to tell him how special Kevin was and how much what he did for us meant to us. Managers often hear the bad but don't often hear the good. When someone does something nice or special or is just really helpful to me I make sure to talk to their bosses and tell them what a good employee they have and how pleased I was with that person.

KarrieAlex - so glad you're back on the board!!! Thank you for the update! So happy to hear you are having a good time. I don't know how to post pictures from a phone or I'd tell you in a heartbeat. I'm assuming you have to upload them to photobucket or some online server and then post the link here.

Warm wishes for a happy continuation of your vacation!!

So glad things are going well!!!

I LOVED spending resort time at the Poly. The hardest decision after exiting the monorail was do I have the Dole Whip first? or head to the Bar for a drink first :)

LOL that would be our day today. Gonna walk down in a couple of minutes for a Dole Whip. I have never had one but have heard so much about them.

I also talked to this lovely man named Ryan in the lobby about DVC. We started actually talking about something else to start and then he asked me about DVC. He was really nice, very sweet, and definitely not pushy at all. We have an appt at 3 to talk with DVC about becoming members. Ryan took the time to get to know me and my family before anything was even mentioned about DVC. In fact I was the one who brought it up because I thought he was the DVC rep and was kinda surprised he wasn't trying to "sell" me on it.

Off to get a Dole Whip!

OK, so if we have an 8am reservation for Akershus, what time do they let us in over at Epcot? I should take the monorail from the Poly, right? Any advice on when to head out?

LOL that would be our day today. Gonna walk down in a couple of minutes for a Dole Whip. I have never had one but have heard so much about them.

I also talked to this lovely man named Ryan in the lobby about DVC. We started actually talking about something else to start and then he asked me about DVC. He was really nice, very sweet, and definitely not pushy at all. We have an appt at 3 to talk with DVC about becoming members. Ryan took the time to get to know me and my family before anything was even mentioned about DVC. In fact I was the one who brought it up because I thought he was the DVC rep and was kinda surprised he wasn't trying to "sell" me on it.

Off to get a Dole Whip!

Glad that things are so much better for you now - the cast members at the Poly are truly wonderful. Enjoy that Dole Whip. :)

YEAH!!!!:banana: I am so glad that things got better for you. I know you can load pictures to photobucket, but not I am not a good teacher on that. I really hope someone can help you post some pictures. I love seeing all the CL pictures(especially of the food and Drinks;) ) Enjoy the rest of your days:goodvibes

First the bug that's seen is a palmetto bug they are all over the south you cannot get totally rid of them. Just like the love bugs..

I have stayed in Hilton's that had humidifiers going. Toilets overflow that's a fact plus it's rained so much in Florida lately..

My understanding when u called Disney recreation, Disney reservations & a manager at the Poly the only rehab will be what's going on in the longhouses which will almost be finished.

I've never been to Poly and not see the waterfall run but even if it was off it wouldn't take away from the beautiful of the lobby & there are a few waterfalls scattered around the resort.

The customer service can happen at any resort on or off property, Poly & GF CMs have been the friendliest out of the CMs I've encountered at AKL, BC and more.

The fridges are being worked on they know about the issue. One thing I learned is keep the cabinet door open where the fridge is stored & there is a switch on the back of it where you can turn it up..

Sept 2013 Poly, 2012 Disney Fantasy, BC CL, GF CL, POR, 2011 Poly CL, CR, Poly CL, AKL, 2010 Poly CL, ASMu 2009, SSR 2008, Pop 2006, POR , Asmo 2005, Asmo 2003, offsite 2000, 1999,1989, Poly 1980, offsite 1979

My Dh thinks that the pool slide is decaying. He knew there were drips all over from the slide and we wondered why the waterfall wasn't on (its been 5 years since we have been here).

Has the waterfall been off for your entire trip? I did notice on some recent photos from folks that were there recently, that the waterfall seemed to be much smaller (less water) than usual. We will be checking in on Sunday. It will be disappointing if the water feature is not working or diminshed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter