• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have posted this question on the Smoking DSA thread but have not gotten an answer. Anyone know if the DSA is still on the stairway on the 2nd floor in Somoa ? If so is this on the same side as the elevator ? Thanks for any help

Another question- when you get a pin code, is it for specific dates? How far ahead do they send out pin codes? weeks, months?? Thanks for your replies!

Yes the dates are always specific. We have received a few over the years and have not been able to use them because the dates didn't work for us. I can't remember how far out they were, but I'm sure they are changing all the time. I believe Disney uses them as marketing devices to see what kind of interest is out there for different kinds of discounts. Usually they are for room only discounts, but sometimes for packages with free dining, sometimes for kids stay and play free, etc.

Is riding the Friendship boat from Poly quicker than monorail for going back and forth to TTC/MK? Planning on popping over to Captain Cook's on an MK day for lunch. We may possibly valet park at Poly that morning since we will go over for lunch and go back to our resort for a rest.

Is riding the Friendship boat from Poly quicker than monorail for going back and forth to TTC/MK? Planning on popping over to Captain Cook's on an MK day for lunch. We may possibly valet park at Poly that morning since we will go over for lunch and go back to our resort for a rest.

IMO, absolutely.

I am sooooooo excited! We will be checking into a surprise trip in 3 days:yay:

A few last minute questions I have-
During MK EMH, I know the monorail stops, but does the boat still run?
Is there microwaves in the room?
Anyone know how long the Spirit of Aloha lasts?

TIA

Just wanted to check in and do a happy double digit dance! :dancer:party::dancer: Just 99 days until we will be at the Poly, TPV. So super excited.

And since this is my first WDW trip I haven't contributed much to this board but you guys have all been so great with all the fantastic Poly info!!! Thank you!!:goodvibes

not sure on the monorail
NO microwaves at least the gardview rooms we stayed in 2 weeks ago
Spirit - we went to the 8pm show around 10 - 10:15

TIA

TIA

Yes, the boats still run.
No, there aren't microwaves in the rooms, but you can request one - they are available on a first-come basis, so availability isn't guaranteed.

Mary T in PA said:
Finally had a bit of time to check in. Got here several days ago, and the concierge staff did screw up, from check in to our room keys not being coded properly to get into Tonga. It was fixed, but I was annoyed. Next surprise was the room remodel! The suites were all remodeled this spring, and the rooms have a modern less Poly feel. Feels more Contenporary. I shot video and a took of pics to show.

I'm not happy with room remodel, just took away some of the classic paintings and replaced then with flower pics, changed all the wicker furniture and the bed is now so high I need a stool to get into it.

Does anyone know which long houses have been refurbished and which rooms been modernised? Thanks!

Does anyone know which long houses have been refurbished and which rooms been modernised? Thanks!

According to Tikiman, so far, only the Tonga suites and some test rooms (I think the test rooms may be in Rarotonga).

Tikiman also reports Aotearoa will be up for the treatment this fall. And it's been well publicized that Hawaii will be getting a refurb from Jan-Mar of 2013.

In addition, there have been some back and forth rumors about Tokelau (recent reports indicate the longhouse has been temporarily closed but not for refurb, instead, due to low bookings).

Tikiman also continues to report about the possibility of a hot tub being added this fall as well as a major rehab on the Volcano pool. My speculation is that if they're going to close the Volcano Pool for an extended period, it won't happen until 2013 because they won't close it the same time the main Grand Floridian pool is closed (which is from Aug. 24 until at least Nov. 22 and possibly through at least mid-Dec.), nor would they close it during the peak holiday season.

Oh wow, thanks for the info! Looks like more surfing is in order while I plan our Nov trip!

With all this refurbishment in the pipeline, wonder if it'll affect the resort in Nov. We're booked at the Poly for 14-20 Nov but were toying with the idea of switching to the Boardwalk Inn. Our first trip so we don't know if we would prefer MK or Epcot but it's just two of us, no kids.

According to Tikiman, so far, only the Tonga suites and some test rooms (I think the test rooms may be in Rarotonga).

Tikiman also reports Aotearoa will be up for the treatment this fall. And it's been well publicized that Hawaii will be getting a refurb from Jan-Mar of 2013.

In addition, there have been some back and forth rumors about Tokelau (recent reports indicate the longhouse has been temporarily closed but not for refurb, instead, due to low bookings).

Tikiman also continues to report about the possibility of a hot tub being added this fall as well as a major rehab on the Volcano pool. My speculation is that if they're going to close the Volcano Pool for an extended period, it won't happen until 2013 because they won't close it the same time the main Grand Floridian pool is closed (which is from Aug. 24 until at least Nov. 22 and possibly through at least mid-Dec.), nor would they close it during the peak holiday season.

Tokelau closed to low bookings? That's insane it's like one of the best options there in terms of central location and the rooms are newer as well.

Where is the report of low bookings closing Tokelau? I haven't seen or read anything on that. I can't imagine they'd close one of the most popular longhouses.

Where is the report of low bookings closing Tokelau? I haven't seen or read anything on that. I can't imagine they'd close one of the most popular longhouses.

Someone posted on Tikiman's FB page last week. They said that they had just returned from the Poly. They had requested Tokelau. When they arrived they were told it wasn't available, due to construction. They were put in Tahiti & weren't happy with the location. After several more inquiries with some other people they said they were told the "true story" of why Tokelau wasn't available, that "every 10 days or so, the Poly checks their reservation percentage. If they feel it is low, they close a building of their choice whether their are requested reservations ( in our case from 8/2011) or not. This helps save them money on housekeeping, etc."

Someone posted on Tikiman's FB page last week. They said that they had just returned from the Poly. They had requested Tokelau. When they arrived they were told it wasn't available, due to construction. They were put in Tahiti & weren't happy with the location. After several more inquiries with some other people they said they were told the "true story" of why Tokelau wasn't available, that "every 10 days or so, the Poly checks their reservation percentage. If they feel it is low, they close a building of their choice whether their are requested reservations ( in our case from 8/2011) or not. This helps save them money on housekeeping, etc."

It makes sense to close a building to save on expenses, but if Tokelau is so popular why would they pick that one? I have no insight, just curious?:confused3

We are leaving on Saturday for our first visit to the Polynesian. We had requested Tokelua, and I hope it will be opened. Wherever we stay, it will be exciting. Enjoyed reading all the fun things we can do at the Poly.

You learn something new everyday! I guess it just doesn't make sense to me to close such a popular longhouse.

5 more days for us!! I can almost taste that dole whip! :banana::banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter