ALOHA! 2 days at Aulani, is it enough?

inkedupmomma

modern mouseketeer
Aloha friends! I just posted a thread in the DL section and figured I'd post in here too to better prep for our upcoming DL/Aulani trip.

As the title says, we will be at Aulani for 2 days- followed by another 5-7 nights in Kailua. We arrive August 1- not sure of time yet, but will be traveling form California, so hopefully we will feel rested enough.

What should we NOT miss during our 2 nights at Aulani? We will have three children, 18,13, and 5. Then 4 adults.2 of those adults live in Oahu, so no need to travel out of Aulani, as we really want to try and enjoy the resort and all it has to offer.

From what I can tell, Ama Ama is NOT the end all, be all, and we will likely skip it.

So Dis friends, what say you? Would love some advice, tips and tricks from seasoned Aulani vets!

Many locals come to Aulani for one or two nights and say it is enough to enjoy the basics of Aulani: the pools, the beach, the characters, the storytelling. If you plan to stay only at Aulani in that time, you'll get a good feel for it and experience most of what you want to do. Be sure to take the cultural tours, snorkel in Rainbow Reef, meet characters, spend plenty of time in the lazy river, take in a fitness class, rent a SUP in the bay, have some PhotoPass photos on the beach at sunset, and visit Uncle and Moana at the fire pit story time.

We really enjoyed dining at 'AMA'AMA during our last stay, and dined there four times. We enjoyed the food more than at Makahiki. The 'AMA'AMA food and service were excellent and dinner at sunset was beautiful as well. We went there for breakfast and dinner and were never disappointed. My husband recommends the cereal-crusted French Toast if you're looking for something unique and fun at breakfast.

I am also only doing two nights. My kids are 17 and it's on their bucket list. Enough to give them the experience but after a day or two I think it would get old. I would hate paying that money to leave the resort on excursions so staying someplace cheaper while we tour and then staying on property and enclosing ourselves in the Aulani bubble for two days

Remember, you can arrive super early on your arrival day and leave late on your departure date to maximise your time at the resort as well. Though, the resort becomes quiet fairly early in the evening, so don't expect to stay too late on your last day.

I’d second most of what @spacecanada says (and hi from “space Alabama” LOL). Only thing I can’t comment on is AMA AMA—we never made it there. We enjoyed dinner at Makahiki a lot, and breakfast was fine too. But yes, definitely arrive early so you can spend ALL of your three days there. Although I’d probably still walk across the street to the ABC store for lunch one of the days—we had good food there, plus a great beer selection. Four nights would be better :) but you can definitely make three great days there. I think a split stay is a great idea—I’d much rather tour while staying someplace cheaper.

Thanks guys! Luckily for us, my sister in law lives in Oahu, so we will have our own personal tour guide for the other days, which gives us those first two nights to really just relax, and enjoy all that Aulani has to offer.

The food there gets SUCH mixed reviews. My husband is there for plate lunches and thats it lol!

Didnt know they had PhotoPass on the beach, that sounds awesome! Def looking forward to rainbow reef..not so much a fitness class lol

I actually cant even believe we are doing this. SO excited!

We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas night at Aulani this year - two nights was definitely better than no nights but we were sad to leave! It was the perfect amount of time to adjust to jet lag (we are east coasters) in a familiar place.

Ama Ama has been fantastic in our experience - we went for lunch twice, as it’s honestly not much more expensive than the pool bar food is and such a nice treat. If you’re going to try it I definitely recommend lunch as dinner was $$$.

I think three full days is totally worth your while. I’m sure you’ll love it! I would say don’t miss Makahiki breakfast, it was the most “Disney” thing there to me (as in similar to a park experience). Shave ice with mouse ears is another unique experience! As others have said, go down to experience sunset at the beach, if not for photopass, just for the vibe. There’s a buzz as everyone watches the sky change - it’s just beautiful and not an experience you’ll get in Kailua since it faces the “other way”.

For us no, we usually do 10-12 days but we do have a car and are off site a lot. I've heard from others that a few days is more than enough, there is no one magic answer to this question.

For us no, we usually do 10-12 days but we do have a car and are off site a lot. I've heard from others that a few days is more than enough, there is no one magic answer to this question.

We are in Hawaii for 9 days. Why do you think 2 of those nights at Aulani is not enough?

We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas night at Aulani this year - two nights was definitely better than no nights but we were sad to leave! It was the perfect amount of time to adjust to jet lag (we are east coasters) in a familiar place.

Ama Ama has been fantastic in our experience - we went for lunch twice, as it’s honestly not much more expensive than the pool bar food is and such a nice treat. If you’re going to try it I definitely recommend lunch as dinner was $$$.

I think three full days is totally worth your while. I’m sure you’ll love it! I would say don’t miss Makahiki breakfast, it was the most “Disney” thing there to me (as in similar to a park experience). Shave ice with mouse ears is another unique experience! As others have said, go down to experience sunset at the beach, if not for photopass, just for the vibe. There’s a buzz as everyone watches the sky change - it’s just beautiful and not an experience you’ll get in Kailua since it faces the “other way”.

Thank you! This is all great info!

Loved our two days this past year - some is better than none in my mind. That said my mother lives right up the street so we had been there to eat on previous trips. We spent our days on the lazy river and slides. Ate at AMA AMA a number of times. It was worth every minute...we had spent the previous few days on the big island at the military camp in Volcanoes National Park. It was lovely but staying at Aulani was definitely a step up.

I think 2 days at Aulani is enough. We spent like 4 days there (after sometime in Waikiki) but we spent a day of that around the island and were bored most of the other days (and regretted leaving our first beach/hotel early to go to Aulani). Truthfully I think the best part of Aulani is just hanging out by the pool, in the lazy river, and snorkeling at Rainbow Reef. We did go to Ama Ama once for breakfast and it was very good and prices are actually not that bad for the quality of food. Visit some of the characters as you sometimes get better "playful" pics of them.

Thanks everyone! Im also of the same mentality that two days is better than no days. We will also have a 2 bedroom, which will afford us some room to lounge and enjoy each others company! Very excited for these photopass pics yall mentioned!

Two days without leaving Aulani is enough time, IMO. We loved the spa there, and enjoyed pool hopping around the resort. Personally, AMA AMA breakfast was one of our favorite meals of our whole trip. Unique items and a cheaper price point than dinner, plus it was half empty so pretty quiet and relaxing. We did Makahiki dinner (non-character) which we also really enjoyed. Also loved Monkeypod across the street for dinner (ate there twice!), but I would try to do AMA AMA or Makahiki, before Monkeypod. I do think Monkeypod is better than the quick service options at Aulani, however.

I think staying a couple of nights will give you a feel of what Aulani has to offer. Just be mindful that unless your family who lives on Oahu have their own reservation booked or are not included on your reservation, they would only be able to join you at the beach (not beach chairs), dine or make spa appointments. The other activities including lazy river, pools, character meet and greets, storytelling, etc. are for registered guests. I just thought I'd give you a heads up since I wasn't certain if they were joining you or if it was just your family staying. Have an enjoyable time!

Two days without leaving Aulani is enough time, IMO. We loved the spa there, and enjoyed pool hopping around the resort. Personally, AMA AMA breakfast was one of our favorite meals of our whole trip. Unique items and a cheaper price point than dinner, plus it was half empty so pretty quiet and relaxing. We did Makahiki dinner (non-character) which we also really enjoyed. Also loved Monkeypod across the street for dinner (ate there twice!), but I would try to do AMA AMA or Makahiki, before Monkeypod. I do think Monkeypod is better than the quick service options at Aulani, however.

Great info, thank you so much!

I think staying a couple of nights will give you a feel of what Aulani has to offer. Just be mindful that unless your family who lives on Oahu have their own reservation booked or are not included on your reservation, they would only be able to join you at the beach (not beach chairs), dine or make spa appointments. The other activities including lazy river, pools, character meet and greets, storytelling, etc. are for registered guests. I just thought I'd give you a heads up since I wasn't certain if they were joining you or if it was just your family staying. Have an enjoyable time!

Thanks, they will be registered to our 2 bedroom unit :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter