• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Almond milk through tsa

momto3pirates

DIS Veteran
We have put our 2 yo DD on a gluten free/dairy free diet. On the advice of her nutritionist, she drinks the 5x protein almond milk. I have ordered some online and shipped it to the hotel, but can I take enough for our first day through tsa screening? I ordered the individual 8oz boxes to carry with us on the plane. The TSA website states we can carry baby formula and food, but does this qualify? She does not eat much solid food, so we use the almond milk to make her meals and she drinks out of a bottle.

It's unlikely you'll get this through security; this isn't for a baby and she can get through a plane trip without it. Exception - Does she have medical issues (question based on a 2 year old using a bottle and not eating much solid food)? If so, you should be able to get a box or two through security based on medical needs.

1) If in a sealed original box, you should not have a problem at TSA.
2) I get protein powder through all the time.

She is epileptic and has brain damage from a prolonged seizure in April. We are working with multiple therapists as well as having an autism eval in December. She is not a normal 2 year old but she looks perfectly normal. She will need the milk on the plane as well as for lunch that day. We are using Magical express and are not planning on picking up our checked bags. She functions on about a 9 month level. I do have it in the boxes it came in but would I be better off putting it in several bottles to go through security?

Here's a thread, it is a couple of years ago but should still be relevant. This poster was bringing Pediasure but I would think the same would apply to your daughter's almond milk.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2983755

One key component to this is that you must pack a "medical carry-on" -- this cannot have anything non-medical in it, so don't pack it with your change of clothes, books, regular toiletries, etc. And declare the "medical carry-on" upfront at screening. It should be exempt from both the number of carry-ons your airline allows as well as the TSA 3-1-1 rule for liquids.

Enjoy your vacation!

You could try the TSA Cares helpline. It's meant for "passengers with disabilities and medical conditions" (according to their card). I'd think this would fall under medical conditions. The number is 1-855-787-2227 (mods, TSA only gave me a phone number not a website). The helpline's hours are 8AM-11PM ET on weekdays and 9AM-8PM ET on weekends & holidays.

As well, I believe there's a contact for to ask this sort of question to TSA. If that just sends you back to the general link or TSA Cares and those don't work, then see if you can find the phone number for TSA at your local airport. If the airport is nearby you might even be able to go over and talk to someone in person.

Regardless, I'd bring a letter from her doctor explaining medical need. Also, I would leave the almond milk in the sealed container that it came in. You're going to have a better chance if you can show that you haven't opened the container you're bringing through. This also means that if you are going to need the almond milk on the return trip, you need to remember to keep one unopened container to be used going back!

One thing I'm positive is true is that TSA will not take into consideration the ME and not picking up your bags. They'll allow you enough almond milk to get her through the flight and to the baggage claim. You may want to contact ME to see if there's a way you could just swing by to get more milk out of checked luggage, but still have them take it from the baggage area to ME (so that you're not lugging it across the airport). The one time I used ME, there was a non-Disney glitch and we never got the tags to indicate that they should automatically go on ME. I don't remember exactly how it worked, but the person who was actually grabbing the ME bags was in the regular baggage area. We talked to him and gave him our bags and then he took them with the rest so that we weren't carting them around. (All we had to do was tell him who we were so that he knew where they would go). I don't know if it's possible to do now, but it's worth asking about even if you decide it ultimately doesn't work for you.

protein powder is a powder and therefore not subject to the 311 rules liquids are.

OP just be prepared to have to open one of the containers. They may want to test it.

Thank you so much. We have a medical bag for her that has her daily medication bottles and emergency seizure meds. I will put the milk in with that.
I will just be prepared with enough bottles for the flight just in case we have to check the rest. This is our first time traveling with the diet restrictions so I'm doing all the research I can.

Edit:I called TSA cares and the phone rep stated medically necessary liquids do not fall under 3-1-1. She said just make sure I declare them and allow for TSA inspection. Hopefully all will go smooth.

One thing I'm positive is true is that TSA will not take into consideration the ME and not picking up your bags. They'll allow you enough almond milk to get her through the flight and to the baggage claim. You may want to contact ME to see if there's a way you could just swing by to get more milk out of checked luggage, but still have them take it from the baggage area to ME (so that you're not lugging it across the airport). The one time I used ME, there was a non-Disney glitch and we never got the tags to indicate that they should automatically go on ME. I don't remember exactly how it worked, but the person who was actually grabbing the ME bags was in the regular baggage area. We talked to him and gave him our bags and then he took them with the rest so that we weren't carting them around. (All we had to do was tell him who we were so that he knew where they would go). I don't know if it's possible to do now, but it's worth asking about even if you decide it ultimately doesn't work for you.

I agree that the TSA won't take into consideration you not grabbing your bags immediatly. However do make sure you have more then just what you need for the flight (I would do double the time of the flight) I travel a lot for work and can't tell you the number of times I should have been home by 6 and wasn't until after midnight due to delayed flights

This is incorrect. You normally couldn't take this liquid through security. Also, what does protein powder have to do with liquid rules?

OP, since this is medically needed, a reasonable amount can go through security. You don't need any letter from a physician. Do check out the TSA link another poster poster provided.

do not repeat do not put in bottles before flight. you need to be able to show the container. bring the bottles but plan to put in as you need. have in new sealed container in you med bag. have note from doc that she needs this medically. in bottles they could limit you to 2 maybe 3 bottles but they would have to test each bottle which means opening and testing the liquid in each one.

I agree that you should take extra. I always at least double what I think I may need, if not triple. I have flown many times with my daughter and a carry on full of liquid. I have had stuff in bottles and in original containers, they didn't care which. They have never opened anything to test it, they swab the outside. I would be mad if they stuck things in her liquid food or meds! I always have the liquids in a separate bag and let them know we have a lot of liquids. We have never had any kind of problem. I have had as many as 25-30 liquid containers!

She will need the milk on the plane as well as for lunch that day. We are using Magical express and are not planning on picking up our checked bags.

Worst case you could check one bag with just things you'll need when you land and just claim that one bag and let DME take the rest.

OP, please come back after your trip and let us know how it went. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think you'll be a " happy camper."

You should be able to take enough milk for the day, as it is medical and your daughter would require it if your flight was delayed or whatnot. I know someone who is allowed to bring a full bottle of rubbing alcohol (needed for twice-daily medication injections), not just the amount needed during the flights. They screen that and the medications (especially the liquid one that is the consistency of paint [eww!]) by swabbing them, looking them over, and sometimes opening them - this is after the bag is x-rayed and the passenger screened, of course.

Remember that it is going to take you extra long to get through security between the medical stuff and having a kid, so get there early and take your time so you don't stress out. Have fun!! (I mean after the flight, as nothing about flying is fun anymore, LOL!)

You should be able to take enough milk for the day, as it is medical and your daughter would require it if your flight was delayed or whatnot. I know someone who is allowed to bring a full bottle of rubbing alcohol (needed for twice-daily medication injections), not just the amount needed during the flights.....

It seems kind of ridiculous to carry around a full bottle of rubbing alcohol for twice daily injections. Please advise your friend that alcohol wipes are sold everywhere and are not only easily transported, but can go through airport security with no problems.

Thanks again for suggestions. We fly out Friday so I will try to get on and report how it went. We have flown twice with her medications, no problem. We have only had her gf/df for about 3 months now, so this is new. We are packing a medical bag with just her medically necessary stuff.
Happy Thanksgiving

My son has very severe food allergies and drank formula until he was 8 years old. The only formula he could tolerate was liquid based (ready to feed). It was close to his sole source of nutrition and he absolutely needed it every few hours.

We always took a letter from the Doctor explaining the situation. Every time we were allowed to keep the formula (4 small 8 ounce bottles), but some TSA personnel were kinder than others. Many times the liquid was swabbed for explosives.

Good luck. I hope it works out.

It seems kind of ridiculous to carry around a full bottle of rubbing alcohol for twice daily injections. Please advise your friend that alcohol wipes are sold everywhere and are not only easily transported, but can go through airport security with no problems.

When you are out of the country for a month, it is necessary. :) He has the wipes, too, but they tend to dry out, thus becoming useless. He uses the wipes when he has to inject outside of the home/hotel, such as at a restaurant or someone's house, since it is important to do the injections at a certain time (it is a blood thinner).

TSA doesn't have an issue with the bottle of rubbing alcohol and not having it wouldn't change the screening process/length, as they have to hand-screen his big bag of medications anyway due to having a liquid medication (which looks like yellow paint - and I am told tastes just as gross!) and tons of syringes with needles (that's, what, 58 of them for a month?) and tons of pills (up to 30-something each day).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter