Allure going, going, gone...

Has the addition of SSR impacted your ability to reserve at your home resort?

• No - Still the same

• Maybe - Can't be sure its SSR though

• Definitely - I have noticed a change sinsce SSR came on line

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's because, (here's another one teed up for you pilferk....) to the masses, SSR is just not as desirable of a resort, particularly if they had their heart set on AKL.

Just for fun, I'll ask the question you're waiting on: Proof?

Anecdotally, of course, I've seen a pretty even split...those excited by the prospect of a 1BR at SSR (sometimes with a refund) and some who are totally set against SSR and want a deluxe. I'd also offer up that I suspect many of those offering opinions have not really stayed at SSR, and their opinion, possibly, could be clouded by some of the postings on these very boards "bashing" SSR or rating it as a second class resort. But that's just my unfounded suspicion. You'd have to ask all those switching, and not switching, what their reasoning is....

I'd say that says nothing, really, about anything, though.....because it just reinforces what we know: Some people like the hotel style DVC's, some like the SSR/OKW style. Projecting EITHER position on the "masses", simply becauses the person doing the projecting feels that way, still doesn't seem like a very solid position to take. I don't think ANYONE has said that SSR is everyone's cup of tea...just like BCV, BWV, OKW, et aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Just for fun, I'll ask the question you're waiting on: Proof?

Anecdotally, of course, I've seen a pretty even split...those excited by the prospect of a 1BR at SSR (sometimes with a refund) and some who are totally set against SSR and want a deluxe. I'd also offer up that I suspect many of those offering opinions have not really stayed at SSR, and their opinion, possibly, could be clouded by some of the postings on these very boards "bashing" SSR or rating it as a second class resort. But that's just my unfounded suspicion. You'd have to ask all those switching, and not switching, what their reasoning is....

I'd say that says nothing, really, about anything, though.....because it just reinforces what we know: Some people like the hotel style DVC's, some like the SSR/OKW style. Projecting EITHER position on the "masses", simply becauses the person doing the projecting feels that way, still doesn't seem like a very solid position to take. I don't think ANYONE has said that SSR is everyone's cup of tea...just like BCV, BWV, OKW, et aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Spoken like a very wise person.

Wow, go away for a day and this thread still has legs.

DVC resorts rock! Maybe instead of BCV vs SSR vs AKV vs BWV thread, we could do a DVC vs Bonnet Creek vs Nick vs Marriott.

This is changing the subject, but why doesn't Disney understand that a very substantial percentage of its guest want to WALK!

Ha! I find that thought hysterical considering one of the biggest complaints about OKW and SSR are that the resorts are so spread out people MUST walk to get around.

Didn't you even say how ruining it would be not to be able to walk down and get a morning newspaper, even though I showed you the distances are pretty much the same at the other resorts too?

But yes the explanation of why they don't do a pedestrian bridge to EPCOT is sufficient. There's far too much major roadway and backstage to traverse. Now, why don't they build a pedestrian bridge to Typhoon Lagoon (across Buena Vista)? There's already a walkway up to that traffic light.

Bottom line to me is for all those people who refuse to stay at SSR, it just means that I will never have a problem getting the room or section I want! AND if the situation causes them to sell their BWV or BCV or VWL interest then that means I will just have an easier time getting the occasional room at VWL that I might want (I have zero interest in staying at BWV or BCV, shockingly to some).

I found the architecture of the main building and those surrounding it quite disconcerting, almost as if there was something there before and they just reworked the facade.

Ok, I am only on page 5 so I apologize if someone has already pointed this out to you, but you do know that SSR is the old Disney Institute. The infrastructure was already there.

Ok, on to me. I love SSR, don't much care for BCV. So there you have it. Now I will stay there - once - but after that nope. I have said it before but I want to try ALL the Disney owned properties and once I have done that, then it is home to SSR for me from then on - well until the Poly comes online and then I will alternate :cloud9:

I just hope we get the Treehouse Villas or something with that so we SSR owners can kick all you BCV elitists out. :D Just kidding, but see how childish all this blaming resorts can be?

I just hope we get the Treehouse Villas or something with that so we SSR owners can kick all you BCV elitists out. :D Just kidding, but see how childish all this blaming resorts can be?

Now you did. Visions of water balloon missiles fired down from the Treehouses go spinning through my mind. Ah, so that's what that walkway to nowhere is for.

There was a thread, one of these threads, a while back. Someone made a comment about how VWL owners don't care because they are two intrigued by the trees. OKW are retirees and don't care, but something about the French War going on between BCV/BWV and SSR.

It was rather amusing, I wish I could find the post because it almost applies here. I laughed.

Someone should find it because it would be a really good laugh again.

There was a thread, one of these threads, a while back. Someone made a comment about how VWL owners don't care because they are two intrigued by the trees. OKW are retirees and don't care, but something about the French War going on between BCV/BWV and SSR.

It was rather amusing, I wish I could find the post because it almost applies here. I laughed.

Someone should find it because it would be a really good laugh again.

And I guess the off site resorts are just ........ off site and don't care! They'll quietly take any on-site they can get at 7 months out.

I really like SSR. That is my home resort and love staying there. I like its size and not feeling like I am on top of people. I like the closeness to DTD too. Our DD is older and she does not need a big fancy pool to entertain her. She just likes to swim. I am sorry the OP is not happy with SSR. I don't feel it is sub par by any stretch. I have found staff and accomodations to be great. :goodvibes

Hey I remember that! In fact, I believe I wrote it, in one of my history buff moods. But I think it was in a thread now deleted. The relative distance between EPCOT's lakes and DTD's canals had me in a "build a connector canal and we can have a good ol' fashioned sea war" frame of mind.

Now why I think it all comes down to an epic (and childish) food fight is probably a question to ask my therapist.

I love both areas. What I don't understand is how people cannot see and appreciate the similarities between them. Reminds me of the age old spat between French and English aristocrats.

And I guess the off site resorts are just ........ off site and don't care! They'll quietly take any on-site they can get at 7 months out.

I believe the phrase you're looking for is "Third World" or in historical-speak "the Colonies". They presume they are one of the elite but actually are just wannabees where the elite on-site resortees go for a lark. We'll let 'em in as sort of an exchange program but we really can't be bothered with them. After all, what do they know about room locations and bus service? It's all 1000% better than what they have at home in their sweaty, bug-infested native worlds.

Personally I think the reason I favor VWL so much is because they are tree huggers and remind me of my ancestral Ireland. You know, small, inconsequential, ignored by the elitists until its discovered they have the best story-telling and beer. Goodness, one does love the Iron Spike room with its rocking leather recliners and Disney model trains.

Ha! I find that thought hysterical considering one of the biggest complaints about OKW and SSR are that the resorts are so spread out people MUST walk to get around.

Didn't you even say how ruining it would be not to be able to walk down and get a morning newspaper, even though I showed you the distances are pretty much the same at the other resorts too?

But yes the explanation of why they don't do a pedestrian bridge to EPCOT is sufficient. There's far too much major roadway and backstage to traverse. Now, why don't they build a pedestrian bridge to Typhoon Lagoon (across Buena Vista)? There's already a walkway up to that traffic light.

Most people walk to the theme parks once or twice a day. They want to walk to the sundry shop, bar, pool and so forth about 10 times a day. So it is very important that the resort be designed to be very compact with everything within easy walking distance, but it is not so bad to have to walk a half-mile or so to get to a theme park.

By 3 Disney kids:

Not sure where you are getting your stats that July is slow?!?! On the 10-point scale used by some of the popular touring plan sites, almost the entire month of July is a 9!

I was speaking of slow time for DVC owners. Us DVC'ers seem to use them in early Dec, during food and wine, etc. These are 'high times' for DVC users.
I on the other hand, being a teacher, can only go in the summer/spring break for now... So, I know it is VERY crowded in the summer, but you can't miss school!!

deerh

Most people walk to the theme parks once or twice a day. They want to walk to the sundry shop, bar, pool and so forth about 10 times a day. So it is very important that the resort be designed to be very compact with everything within easy walking distance, but it is not so bad to have to walk a half-mile or so to get to a theme park.

Again I must be in the minority - we use the quiet pools nearest our villas, go to the HH store maybe once or twice a trip - same with the bar - Guess we just plan so we don't have to do these things by bringing what we need or if need be we hop the first bus that comes along and head for the store etc.

By 3 Disney kids:

I was speaking of slow time for DVC owners. Us DVC'ers seem to use them in early Dec, during food and wine, etc. These are 'high times' for DVC users.
I on the other hand, being a teacher, can only go in the summer/spring break for now... So, I know it is VERY crowded in the summer, but you can't miss school!!

deerh

While traditionally here have been DVC "seasons" (which do not always coincide with the peak times of the parks, as you mention), the way DVC is designed is for all DVC resorts to be at least 95% capacity at all times. So the resorts will always be full or close to it.

The main difference with peak times vs. less busy times is how far out you have to make your reservation. For example, we went in May and are going again in August. Both were somewhat last minute trips that I booked at 7 weeks or so out. For both trips, I had lots of choices...BWV (where we stayed in May), VWL, OKW, SSR. Only BC was booked both times. I even managed an AKV stay for August...and that was without owner booking privileges.

May and late August are not peak DVC times so I was able to get last minute reservations without any problem. :goodvibes This may not always be the case...thus, I might get "stuck" at my home resort of SSR. Poor me! :rolleyes:

I love SSR and the only reason we are staying at BWV and AKV this year is because we want to stay everywhere at least once before we settle in at home. :love:

Neither of your comments about walking make any sense to me. I can tell you, I do a LOT more walking when I stay in the BWV/BCV area than I ever do staying at OKW. The walk from MOST OKW villas to a bus stop is usually no longer (and often shorter) than some of the distances I would have to walk INSIDE one of the other aforementioned resorts. Once I get to the bus stop, ANY bus will take me to HH or the main pool. The same goes for getting to a park.

When I stay in the Boardwalk area, I feel like I am ALWAYS walking too much! I absolutely hate waiting for that boat, because it seems to take so much longer than walking does, so I usually walk to both Epcot and MGM.

I did feel I did a bit more walking to get to the central area of SSR than I do at OKW, but part of the reason for that was because we stayed there when only the first phase of the resort was completed.

The BCV and BWV folks have nothing to worry about from me, because I already know I don't like staying there. Sometimes I think those of us cut out for places like OKW, SSR, VWL, and AKV just aren't cut from the same cloth as those who MUST stay at BCV and BWV.

Just thought I'd peek in at lunch and see how things are going. :3dglasses

This is like being in the stands at a tennis tournament. You get to see 3-4 matches happening at once. popcorn::

Okay.... that's the BCV/BWV point of view. (Though I suspect only the VWL guests get to experience a truly "close knit" vacation.) But the other resort guests experience a different kind of vacation. It goes more like this:

• Get up and have breakfast in the room kitchen. Someone may walk over to the resort center for refillable drinks, paper, etc. (My dad and I did that several times when we started later for the parks.)
  • Get dressed and hop a bus or ferry to the park for the day.
  • Walk all around the park.
  • Hop a bus back to the resort mid-day, go to room and change. Perhaps have a quick, cheap lunch from your room kitchen.
  • Walk to the pool to swim for the afternoon.
  • Go back to the room, shower, change, then either have dinner in the room or hop another ferry or bus.
  • Head to your evening destination which may be a park or night time area like DTD.
  • Hop a bus for home, walk to your unit and crash for the night.

At OKW & SSR, I think your room becomes more of your home base. You stock your kitchen when you arrive. Set up your entertainment options (computer, DVD player, stack of books, etc.). And judge your distances based on how far away is the nearest pool and bus stop.

Sometimes you'll be in a building closer to the resort center. Then you can pop in to refill your mug or grab a paper. And if not, all the busses take you there on their way in and out of the resort. There's no need to keep going there in a day to get stuff.

Now like Diane said, your perception of walking activities really doesn't make a lot of sense. Not for someone who's used to the OKW & SSR style of vacationing. The nearest things we care about is the pool and bus stop, none being very far from rooms. The actual distances walked is much shorter than what you do in the Boardwalk area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter