Allure going, going, gone...

Has the addition of SSR impacted your ability to reserve at your home resort?

• No - Still the same

• Maybe - Can't be sure its SSR though

• Definitely - I have noticed a change sinsce SSR came on line

Results are only viewable after voting.
bunny.jpg

:rolleyes1

Hey I remember that! In fact, I believe I wrote it, in one of my history buff moods. But I think it was in a thread now deleted. The relative distance between EPCOT's lakes and DTD's canals had me in a "build a connector canal and we can have a good ol' fashioned sea war" frame of mind.

Those old threads are on the operations board. They were posted before DVC was split up into 3 seperate forums. Anyway, I tried to read through some of those LONG threads yesterday with no avail, but those really heated debates happened about Mar of 06 and are somewhere between pages 82-88 on the operations board if you can find it. It was really funny.

Which at BWV translates to "half a mile" unless one wants to wait for the ferry and get stuck in that line.

Assuming the gate is working. My last trip I popped out of IG for a quick look around. Not 5 minutes later I headed backinto EPCOT and found the gates had inexplicably gone down. The crowd gathered and gathered. About 45 minutes later they let us all in. You should have seen the faces of those little kids during the wait. Very pleasant.

Again a "few" is "half a mile" and then a 10-20 minute wait for the monorail. Which of course takes you to the TTC where you must walk down a ramp, up another and wait for another monorail to Magic Kingdom. Or you can just take the ferry.

Ah yes, if you happen to be the first ones at the boarding platform or are willing to wait for the next monorail.

So to sum it all up, you can take your kids half a mile to EPCOT, or a mile to the monorail station and take 2 monorails to get to Magic Kingdom. Total trip time should be about an hour, assuming you're fast walkers and don't have to wait for anything. Or you can walk outside your SSR room, walk at most .25 mile, wait 5 minutes for a bus, and take about 12 minutes (27 if you are the first stop in SSR) to get to the gates of Magic Kingdom.

All data based on my experiences park hopping in May. Believe me the longest haul was the EPCOT resort area.

BroganMc... I am just not sure where you are coming from... I am having trouble reading all the posts, but you seem to be pissed-off....

Take a deep breath... don't feel like you are the defender of any resort... Most DVC members love most of the resorts.... otherwise... let it go...

Again... I am not reading all the posts and maybe I am seeing your's more clearly. Don't get so spent into it.

I only say this because I have appreciated your posts in the past, but I think you're sucked into this bad one.

True for others too... I am just not familiar with you enough to address you directly. (except Diane and a few others) and I don't have the experience to tell Diane or them what I think they should do....

Really time for this thread to end.............

Yeah, between this one and the Bibbetty Bobbetty Boo thread over on the Theme Park board....

Neither of your comments about walking make any sense to me. I can tell you, I do a LOT more walking when I stay in the BWV/BCV area than I ever do staying at OKW. The walk from MOST OKW villas to a bus stop is usually no longer (and often shorter) than some of the distances I would have to walk INSIDE one of the other aforementioned resorts. Once I get to the bus stop, ANY bus will take me to HH or the main pool. The same goes for getting to a park.

When I stay in the Boardwalk area, I feel like I am ALWAYS walking too much! I absolutely hate waiting for that boat, because it seems to take so much longer than walking does, so I usually walk to both Epcot and MGM.

I did feel I did a bit more walking to get to the central area of SSR than I do at OKW, but part of the reason for that was because we stayed there when only the first phase of the resort was completed.

The BCV and BWV folks have nothing to worry about from me, because I already know I don't like staying there. Sometimes I think those of us cut out for places like OKW, SSR, VWL, and AKV just aren't cut from the same cloth as those who MUST stay at BCV and BWV.
Diane,

I will say I think it is about attitude and nervous energy as much as anything. I really do think the resort appeal to people who, at the most extreme, are as different as oil and vinegar.

If you tell me I can wait on a bench for 30 minutes, then take a bus and arrive at the entrance to the Magic Kingdom at 10 a.m. OR I can take a brisk walk through EPCOT and have a chance to arrive at 9:55, I'm going to walk unless it's raining or hot as hades. In fact, I might walk even if it meant arriving later because sitting on a bench doing nothing and riding on a crowded bus is such an unpleasant experience.

This doesn't mean I won't ride a bus when it suits my purposes. I just find doing so unpleasant.

BroganMc... I am just not sure where you are coming from... I am having trouble reading all the posts, but you seem to be pissed-off....

No, not pissed off at all. These threads don't anger me. They just motivate me to share my experiences because they differ from the "accepted general rule" proposition being offered. So often my POV differs most from your average BCV/BWV enthusiast POV. Sometimes I get passionate or downright sarcastic in my replies but I'm never truly mad. We're all just chatting about our relative experiences and preferences.

As to the post you quoted, I was just pointing out the alter-version of what one may experience if they went the BWV/EPCOT route to MK. In my experience, it is a much less enjoyable experience shlepping through EPCOT to get to MK via monorail. If I was so set on heading off to MK multiple days with my family, I'd stay at VWL. In fact, that's one reason I'm so hot for CRV. I'd happily sacrifice my country resort setting for the chance to roll out of bed and into Cindy's Castle.

Are you posting this after just one experience of not being able to get a reservation?

Remember that OKW sold out BEFORE the likes of BCV, WLV and BWV existed and it's members were perfectly happy -- and still are -- to stay at their home resort.

(snip)

Not quite true, since BWV was open about a year before OKW sold out. Your point though IS well taken, because we have been staying at OKW for many years, and it is still our favorite DVC resort.

Not quite true, since BWV was open about a year before OKW sold out. Your point though IS well taken, because we have been staying at OKW for many years, and it is still our favorite DVC resort.

Well, for the most part sold out. It was doing well enough that Disney pursued another resort.

Take a deep breath... don't feel like you are the defender of any resort... Most DVC members love most of the resorts.... otherwise... let it go...

Again... I am not reading all the posts and maybe I am seeing your's more clearly. Don't get so spent into it.

I only say this because I have appreciated your posts in the past, but I think you're sucked into this bad one.

True for others too... I am just not familiar with you enough to address you directly. (except Diane and a few others) and I don't have the experience to tell Diane or them what I think they should do....

Really time for this thread to end.............

ok...I wasn't going to write this...but I found this post to be rude. Almost...shall I say it...sexist. Did anyone tell pilferk and jollymom in their post-on-post geek fest to "Take a deep breath" and "Don't get so spent into it."

BroganMc, I totally got what you were saying in your post -- the devil is in the detail...when a poster suggests they can just take monorail to MK from BWV, as though it's clearly a superior and faster mode of transport, your post clarifies that it's not quite as simple and one might suggest.

P.S., DisDaydreamer, I note that you wrote it was true for others too...but it did seem a little personal to focus on BroganMc. I know you wrote you generally like her posts so I'm sure I'm probably reading this different than it was intended, but it really struck me.

Good luck to all and hopefully this thread will go away, but I truly doubt it as in my family I rarely get the last word!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter