Alligators and Snakes

We've seen a couple of alligators in the lake at Coronado Springs. People were feeding them by the lobby. And we have seen a couple in the ponds while riding the buses to and from the parks. Nothing to worry about.
I have seen a snake only once, also at Coronado, in the grass by the edge of the lake. Again nothing to worry about.
We're from south Louisiana and these things are not that unusual. Not in the city but anywhere there is water in the country.
P.S. We have seen turtles, rabbits, raccoons, armadillos, rats and mice (not the Mickey kind) in WDW. Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many trips ago, I believe back in 2016 we were swimming at AKL and a snake was in the pool at the opposite end that we were swimming. The lifeguards asked everyone to get out of the pool, they closed the area for about an hour ( at least that's when we returned and it was open again) to remove it. It wasn't a big deal, no one was hurt. We lived right outside Orlando at the time, and we actually came home to a cottonmouth snake in our garage! Most snakes are non venomous. They won't hurt you....even the cottonmouth in our garage seemed fairly disinterested in us. As far as alligators, stay away from the edge of lakes, if on the walking path the DHS I even make my kids stay away from the reeds along the path and walk in the middle of the sidewalk. Alligators are there, you will be fine as long as you use caution. We had an alligator sunning itself behind our house along the water last week. We don't have a fence up yet, so I won't let my children be outside alone( the older one is 10.) You actually aren't very likely to encounter either on your trip. Have a great trip!

Last edited:
Never seen a snake or gator on property (been going since the early 90's) but it's central Florida and I know they are around. In the Northeast we have a different set of critters that we don't see, but we know they are there. Since that horrible incident several years ago, they have added fences and barricades to many of the beach areas and walkways that abut the waterways. I don't think you can get all that close to the fresh water in most places on property even if you wanted to. You may see a gator from a distance as people mention such as out the window on a bus ride but that's probably about it. There's a higher chance that you will likely never see a snake or gator at all on your trip. You will see those little lizards at your resort but they are completely harmless and actually kind of fun. Best advice I can give would be to just put it out of your mind and not worry about it. There's no use worrying about things you have no control over.

We saw an alligator in the river by Splash and Tom Sawyer Island during the Halloween party last Sept., but that's the first one we've seen on property in over 10 yrs. We've seen a couple snakes as well, but generally speaking you won't really come in contact with either as long as you stay on the paths and obviously stay away from the water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter