Allergy Advice Needed

Chami

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone,

I am beginning to plan our meals, and need some help. With severe allergies to both dairy and shellfish, I am having some trouble navigating Disney dining. I have done reading here and other sites. Some of the information is conflicting, so hopefully you can clarify.

If I understand correctly, TS is my best bet for safe eating. We have been looking at the allergy menus which have been very disappointing. In some cases there is no dairy free entree available. At others, there is 1 dairy free option. Some people indicate that you can talk to a chef and work together to create an allergy free meal. Others say that no chef was available, so there was little they could eat.

Do I need to avoid restaurants that at first glance have little or no options for me? I would hate to skip signatures if they can actually accommodate my needs.

What is your experience? What should I know before booking?

Although I don't have those specific allergies, in general I find that I am able to be accommodated pretty much anywhere as long as I am willing to be flexible. You might end up with meat no sauce, veggies no seasoning, an "allergen-friendly" gluten free bun etc - but oftentimes they can adapt things to meet your needs. If the only things you need to avoid are dairy and shellfish, I don't think it will be terribly difficult to accommodate you. (For example - if there is a cheeseburger on the menu, it will not appear on the DF menu. But they should be able to leave the cheese off, and maybe sub an allergy-friendly bun if the regular bun has trace dairy... you should be okay with all toppings and the fries, generally speaking. You might even find that they have vegan cheese available, if you'd prefer to sub that.)

TS are great because they can adapt more things. I would probably consider skipping buffets - although if there's something you really want to do, the chef will walk the buffet with you to point out what's safe and unsafe (and, if cross-contamination is a concern, may be able to get you a fresh plate from the back.) We find traditional TS to be easier. You can probably eat safely at QS, too, though. As weird as it sounds, dairy and shellfish are going to be fairly easy to avoid.

HTH!

I don't have an allergy. I have Celiac, so no gluten for me.

I've done more than one trip, with only counter service. Well, we had one table service. But almost all counter service.

They do fine, but normally, you have a fewer options. But even without an allergy, there would be fewer options.

Although I don't have those specific allergies, in general I find that I am able to be accommodated pretty much anywhere as long as I am willing to be flexible. You might end up with meat no sauce, veggies no seasoning, an "allergen-friendly" gluten free bun etc - but oftentimes they can adapt things to meet your needs. If the only things you need to avoid are dairy and shellfish, I don't think it will be terribly difficult to accommodate you. (For example - if there is a cheeseburger on the menu, it will not appear on the DF menu. But they should be able to leave the cheese off, and maybe sub an allergy-friendly bun if the regular bun has trace dairy... you should be okay with all toppings and the fries, generally speaking. You might even find that they have vegan cheese available, if you'd prefer to sub that.)

TS are great because they can adapt more things. I would probably consider skipping buffets - although if there's something you really want to do, the chef will walk the buffet with you to point out what's safe and unsafe (and, if cross-contamination is a concern, may be able to get you a fresh plate from the back.) We find traditional TS to be easier. You can probably eat safely at QS, too, though. As weird as it sounds, dairy and shellfish are going to be fairly easy to avoid.

HTH!
Thanks, that is helpful. I am definitely flexible, so I am totally up for substitutions or eliminating certain elements. I just didn’t want to get to a signature restaurant and have them tell me there was nothing I could eat!

We will be doing some QS while there. I am in the middle of researching which spots have items I can eat.

Be sure to call ahead to each restaurant at least 72 hours in advance to speak with a chef and tell them what your needs are and what you want. Yes, this will involve several calls to just find out what the correct number for each restaurant is and to each location until you can get someone who will help, but can make all the difference in the world.

Overall, this is why I think Disney cruises are much better for those with dietary restrictions, you tell them in advance, then you tell your waitstaff once at the beginning of the cruise and they watch out for you for the rest of the cruise.

They have allergy menus at all the restaurants. My recommendation is to always have benedryl and an epipen with you. I have a child with a nut allergy we go to lots of restaurants and only had an issue once. It wasn’t even a Disney restaurant. But I have a question what would you do if you were eating out at home? I would use the same protocol at Disney.

You can contact special diets and give them a list of your reservations, but honestly, we are a multi-allergy (and unusual allergy) group and have only had one chef contact us ever. Based on that experience, we typically do not notify outside of flagging “other” on the reservation and we eat safely without issue.

They have allergy menus at all the restaurants. My recommendation is to always have benedryl and an epipen with you. I have a child with a nut allergy we go to lots of restaurants and only had an issue once. It wasn’t even a Disney restaurant. But I have a question what would you do if you were eating out at home? I would use the same protocol at Disney.
I always carry my epipen and Benadryl. My protocol at home is that we don’t eat out. The dairy allergy is fairly new, so it’s a learning process. We chose Disney as a vacation because I heard that they handled allergy issues well. Eating out with allergies is a whole new world for me.

I guess I’d say don’t eat dessert but good news is lots of places have dairy alternative ice creams.

Special diets have always helped us. There is a form to fill out with your ADR, and your allergy needs. Then we go so far as to ask about a prepicked dish and if the chef would be willing to accommodate us. Honestly after 10+ trips I can say only once did we feel unwelcome at a TS and we just choose to not go there.

I have a family member with a dairy allergy who also can’t have black pepper and another family member who can’t have salt and we eat all meals TS. We have not had much luck at CS. The chefs do a great job. We can even eat at buffets. The chef walks them around and then usually makes them things as well. We have even been to the dinner shows SOA and HDDR.

With "just" dairy and shellfish, you shouldn't have too many issues getting food. Table service will be easier but quick service is doable too. I have multiple allergies, including dairy and shellfish, and find plenty to eat.

At quick service, notify a CM and ask for an allergy menu. They will have a manager or chef come out to discuss options if you don't feel comfortable ordering from the allergy menu.

For table service, make sure to note the allergies when making reservations. You can call Disney Dining to have them added if the ADRs are already made. When you arrive, confirm the allergies at check in and they should have something to put on the table that says allergy. Most sit down restaurants have allergy menus as well and you can request a chef there too. A chef can walk you through the buffet line and get safe food from the back.

Special diets have always helped us. There is a form to fill out with your ADR, and your allergy needs. Then we go so far as to ask about a prepicked dish and if the chef would be willing to accommodate us. Honestly after 10+ trips I can say only once did we feel unwelcome at a TS and we just choose to not go there.
This makes me feel so much better. Thank you!

With "just" dairy and shellfish, you shouldn't have too many issues getting food. Table service will be easier but quick service is doable too. I have multiple allergies, including dairy and shellfish, and find plenty to eat.

At quick service, notify a CM and ask for an allergy menu. They will have a manager or chef come out to discuss options if you don't feel comfortable ordering from the allergy menu.

For table service, make sure to note the allergies when making reservations. You can call Disney Dining to have them added if the ADRs are already made. When you arrive, confirm the allergies at check in and they should have something to put on the table that says allergy. Most sit down restaurants have allergy menus as well and you can request a chef there too. A chef can walk you through the buffet line and get safe food from the back.
It’s good to hear from someone with the same allergies. At least I know it is do-able. Thanks for the help.

I agree with PPs who have said that with "only" dairy and shellfish allergies you should have no problem finding things to eat. :)

Our D is allergic to dairy, egg, soy, and is a vegetarian, and on the last WDW trip we took her on, she had been newly diagnosed with these allergies. We noted the allergies on the reservations (I agree with the PP who said that only once did we get a call back from a restaurant/chef, so I'm not sure it's worth your time), and each restaurant printed off a special allergy "tag" or little receipt that was placed on each table we ate at.

I agree that the allergy menus can make it seem like there aren't many choices, especially when you have multiple allergies and no one item on the allergy menu is safe for all of your allergies. I wish that instead of listing multiple categories that each item is "safe" for, they would just list ingredients, because I'm used to reading those for my D. We found that some chefs were extremely willing (and even excited) to make our D special off-menu items...and in each case they offered (my D is too shy to ask). In particular, Chef TJ (I believe he's currently at Trail's End), the chef at Mama Melrose, and the chef at The Wave made our D incredible custom meals (Chef TJ made her an incredible 7 course meal!). Boma was the only buffet we attempted, and the chef there pointed out everything on the buffet our D could safely eat, and made her some custom items as well.

My D was less thrilled with her choices at CS restaurants, but she could always find something...it just wasn't necessarily "delicious" or what would've been her first choice. But she (and H and I) still felt lucky that they had anything at all and were willing to try, and that's why we keep going back to Disney. Honestly, I tell our friends who have allergies in their family that Disney is better at accommodating allergies than anywhere we've ever been on vacation.

I just thought of one idea to suggest...if you don't mind eating vegetarian, you could try checking out the Vegan Disney World website. They maintain excellent lists of CS and TS options that are vegan, so any of those items would be safe for you to eat as they would be both dairy and shellfish free. :)

HTH!

Hi
Anaphylactic allergy to shellfish here
I carry Benadryl and epipen with me now.Be prepared,,I wasn't and it almost cost me my life.
Re: C.S (Counter Service). Check and double check with Chef,,many things are cooked in a deep fryer (ei: french fries, onion rings,chicken nuggets) and cross contamination can occur.(shrimp,lobster,clams,calamari, scallops, etc).
This happened to me at Disney's Old Key West. I now ask for food to be prepared in a dedicated fryer,,it takes longer because they usually have to heat the oil up fresh,,,but it's worth it.
** One thing I realized is that most Chinese food is cooked in Oyster sauce so I tend to avoid it also.(Epcot).
Best wishes for a healthy, fun, and safe Holiday!
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
I agree with PPs who have said that with "only" dairy and shellfish allergies you should have no problem finding things to eat. :)

Our D is allergic to dairy, egg, soy, and is a vegetarian, and on the last WDW trip we took her on, she had been newly diagnosed with these allergies. We noted the allergies on the reservations (I agree with the PP who said that only once did we get a call back from a restaurant/chef, so I'm not sure it's worth your time), and each restaurant printed off a special allergy "tag" or little receipt that was placed on each table we ate at.

I agree that the allergy menus can make it seem like there aren't many choices, especially when you have multiple allergies and no one item on the allergy menu is safe for all of your allergies. I wish that instead of listing multiple categories that each item is "safe" for, they would just list ingredients, because I'm used to reading those for my D. We found that some chefs were extremely willing (and even excited) to make our D special off-menu items...and in each case they offered (my D is too shy to ask). In particular, Chef TJ (I believe he's currently at Trail's End), the chef at Mama Melrose, and the chef at The Wave made our D incredible custom meals (Chef TJ made her an incredible 7 course meal!). Boma was the only buffet we attempted, and the chef there pointed out everything on the buffet our D could safely eat, and made her some custom items as well.

My D was less thrilled with her choices at CS restaurants, but she could always find something...it just wasn't necessarily "delicious" or what would've been her first choice. But she (and H and I) still felt lucky that they had anything at all and were willing to try, and that's why we keep going back to Disney. Honestly, I tell our friends who have allergies in their family that Disney is better at accommodating allergies than anywhere we've ever been on vacation.

I just thought of one idea to suggest...if you don't mind eating vegetarian, you could try checking out the Vegan Disney World website. They maintain excellent lists of CS and TS options that are vegan, so any of those items would be safe for you to eat as they would be both dairy and shellfish free. :)

HTH!
I have read that Chef TJ is amazing. We may need to head out there to see him.

I see California Grill has both an allergy menu and a vegan menu. That looks promising.

Hi
Anaphylactic allergy to shellfish here
I carry Benadryl and epipen with me now.Be prepared,,I wasn't and it almost cost me my life.
Re: C.S (Counter Service). Check and double check with Chef,,many things are cooked in a deep fryer (ei: french fries, onion rings,chicken nuggets) and cross contamination can occur.(shrimp,lobster,clams,calamari, scallops, etc).
This happened to me at Disney's Old Key West. I now ask for food to be prepared in a dedicated fryer,,it takes longer because they usually have to heat the oil up fresh,,,but it's worth it.
** One thing I realized is that most Chinese food is cooked in Oyster sauce so I tend to avoid it also.(Epcot).
Best wishes for a healthy, fun, and safe Holiday!
Hugs Mel
Thanks for the heads up! I would not have thought about the fryers.

One other thought, speaking of fryers and QS locations - I would avoid Columbia Harbor House. The menu there is almost entirely seafood and if it were my group, the risk for cross-contamination would push past my risk tolerance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter