Allergy Adventures at Universal Restaurants

nighttowll

DIS Veteran
There isn’t a whole lot of information out there about allergies and Universal restaurants, so I wanted to post a bit about our experiences recently in the hopes that maybe it will help others.

Over the summer, I was living with my sister in Fl, so we went to the parks together quite a bit. Luckily, I don’t have any allergies or food restrictions because she has enough for the both of us.

For those of you who don’t care about her personal allergy background, you can skip the below and jump straight to the reviews in the third post.

I’m not going to go into detail about all her health issues, but I will try to explain a little about her food issues for context. She doesn’t have typical “allergic” reactions to foods such as a rash or trouble breathing, so thankfully, we don’t have to worry about cross contamination causing anaphylaxis. However, certain foods can make her physically sick and cause other health problems I couldn’t even begin to explain as I’m not a Dr and her list of medical issues is long and complex. My point is every one of the foods she isn’t supposed to eat is a restriction a team of doctors has placed on her. These are foods she has a documented physical reaction to. This isn’t a diet or life style choice she’s making.

However, since trace amounts one time don’t have a large impact, she sometimes has to compromise. For instance, if a dish comes out containing both foods she can and cannot have, for the most part, she can simply remove the forbidden food and eat the safe food without any major issues. It would be better if the food wasn’t contaminated, but in her situation, as long as that doesn’t happen frequently, she’ll be ok. That doesn’t mean she is ok to do that repeatedly or that enough of a specific food won’t make her sick or that even trace amounts over time won’t add up to cause problems. But in moderation, cross contamination is ok in her case. Even eating a small trace amount of a food she is allergic to is ok, if the alternative would be to not eat at all which would cause other worse problems for her. She tries to minimize this happening, but sometimes menus and dishes that seem safe really aren’t after you speak with the chef. They contain what I call “invisible” foods, and you are left with choosing the option that contains the least number of these.

Ok, so let me stop for a second and explain what I mean by “invisible” foods. This is my own little term I’ve made up because it just makes sense to me. These are foods that like an invisible illness you can’t see and have no idea they are there unless someone else explicitly tells you. What’s worse is they can pop up in even the most benign safe sounding dish.

You’ve got your traditional invisible substances, things like gluten, soy, and dairy. These are pretty straight forward as you don’t expect to be able to see them in a dish but are very annoying since unless the restaurant provides allergy information up front, you’ve got no way to know if they are present or not.

Then, you’ve got whole foods that traditionally you would think would be easy to avoid. These can be any whole food, a vegetable, fruit, nut, or meat, but when a part of one of these is used in cooking, it can become invisible. For instance, let’s say you are allergic to apples. You check the menu before going to the restaurant, and there are plenty of apple free entrees on it. However, you tell the chef you are allergic to apples, and he proceeds to tell you that all of their meat is actually marinated in a sauce that contains apple juice and some of their vegetables are also cooked with a dried apple spice. It sounds crazy, but that’s the kind of stuff that really causes my sister issues. Especially, if it turns out that all the entrees we thought were safe for her actually aren’t and contain multiple invisible foods she is allergic to. This is the type of situation where she might have to pick the entree that has only one invisible food as opposed to all the others that have multiple.

So, that’s basically where we are coming from food restriction wise. It won’t kill her if she has a small amount of something she isn’t supposed to have. It might make her sick, depending on what and how much, but she’ll live. However, it does really upset her if she has to eat something she knows isn’t good for her. She tries very hard to follow her doctors instructions and eat only what she is supposed to eat.

As far as the specific foods she is allergic to, she has a long list her doctors have asked her not to eat. There’s no way I will remember everything, but I’ll try to list as many as I can remember.

Gluten
Soy
Peanuts
Corn
Potatoes
Bell peppers
Mushrooms
Lettuce
Watermelon
Strawberries
Bananas
Apples
Imitation butter
Plus everything else I’m forgetting!

Thankfully, dairy is ok. She has to be careful with quantity but used in cooking it is ok. Drinking a whole glass of milk probably wouldn’t be a great idea.

The four worst offenders are soy, corn, potatoes, and bell peppers, in that order. Speaking in general, not just about Universal, everything has soy or corn syrup or both in it, and the number of foods that contain potato starch really surprises me as well. It also doesn’t help that corn and potatoes seem to be the go to alternatives for creating gluten free products. Gluten itself, though, has been easy to avoid. It’s such a trendy thing right now that gluten free is the one thing we easily find everywhere and is usually clearly marked on almost all menus. The downside I have noticed is that basically no one is concerned with cross contamination. This is not an issue for my sister, but I can see how it would be for those who suffer severe reactions. Bell peppers have been the other surprise that keeps turning up in dishes. I guess it’s such an inexpensive way to flavor things. We picked up a box of rice the other day, read the ingredients on the back, and... bell peppers. They crop up in everything!

Last edited:
We are going to Universal next month and my daughter has a soy allergy (it's in EVERYTHING) so I am very interested to know your experience! Disney is sooooo fantastic with allergies and I do not worry as much there but Universal is another ball game. Thank you!

My son was born with an anaphylactic allergy to all milk based products. Amd eggs. And tree nuts. And peanuts. And oral allergy to most fresh fruits and vegetables. Horrific.

The number of things that sodium caseinate are in boggles the mind. Deli turkey breast, for instance.

We are going to Universal next month and my daughter has a soy allergy (it's in EVERYTHING) so I am very interested to know your experience! Disney is sooooo fantastic with allergies and I do not worry as much there but Universal is another ball game. Thank you!

I wish I could say they were as good as Disney, but sadly I think they’ve got a long way to go.

And YES, it is in absolutely EVERYTHING!!! I never realized just how many foods have soy in them before. It’s the enemy. >:(

When they first told us no soy, we both thought, no problem, she doesn’t really eat soy or tofu. Yep, we had no idea what we were getting into. Everyone eats soy daily and probably most don’t even realize it.

I honestly feel like even with everything else she has to avoid if she could just have soy that would eliminate 99% of the issues we run into. Soy usually ends up being the one food that if we have to make a compromise on, its on soy because you just can’t escape it.

Soy is the main reason I wanted to be clear that she can have trace amounts or eat something forbidden, and if it happens only once or twice, she’ll still live and not get too deathly ill. That’s the one food we kept running into and not finding a way around eating it, or we just had no idea if something had soy in it or not which means it probably did.

I’ll be honest, I’d plan on eating in the room, packing picnics p, or eating outside the parks, although I’m not sure we had a lot better luck with soy anywhere else either, a couple of places maybe. Chipotle comes to mind. You may even want to plan a few Disney resort meals if you know they do the No Soy thing well. I’d pay ridiculous Disney prices for anyone who can guarantee that. You can also try eating at some of the sit down restaurants at Universal where you can speak to the chef, but in our experience that wasn’t always the best experience. In addition, at the restaurants we visited, my sister had practically zero options for foods they could offer her that were safe for her to eat soy-wise, so she never really got a choice in what she ate for her meal at all. They were lucky to come up with even one custom thing for the chef to make her or told her only one menu item was safe and didn’t offer to make anything else or substitute the things she couldn’t eat. I can’t imagine a child in that kind of a situation. Definitely no allergy free Mickey waffles here.

This sums up our experience:
Gluten issue: No problem, look you can have half the menu!
Soy issue: Here, let me take that menu, you don’t need it. The chef will come out in a minute and tell you the one food you can eat.

Soy is just the worst!

My son was born with an anaphylactic allergy to all milk based products. Amd eggs. And tree nuts. And peanuts. And oral allergy to most fresh fruits and vegetables. Horrific.

The number of things that sodium caseinate are in boggles the mind. Deli turkey breast, for instance.

So sorry to hear that. I’m sure it’s almost impossible for you guys to go out to eat. You definitely have it much worse than my sister. I am so thankful that she doesn’t have to worry about anaphylaxis. I think I’d be too scared to let her eat out anywhere if she did. In your situation, I definitely wouldn’t feel safe eating at some of the restaurants we visited at Universal. I mean they did try, but there was just too much confusion at some for me to have any confidence. But I’m a pessimist so...

Ok, I’ll start this off by saying that all this allergy stuff is new to us. My sister has been on restricted diets in the past, but they were for different foods and had more to do with making sure her body could heal properly and that nothing was interfering with her meds, then with allergies. She only received the allergy testing results this past June. Up until then, she was on a no gluten, no dairy diet. She was so relieved when they finally cleared her for dairy, only for them to restrict everything else. She was kind of like I’ll take the dairy back now.

Due to her job, we've both been in and around the Orlando / Tampa area off and on for the last few years and have made multiple trips to Universal during that time. However, none of those trips have ever really coincided with diet restrictions, so we really had no idea what to expect.

I’m the type A planner in the family. She’s the type B easy going one. Happy to sit back and let me figure it all out. My first instinct was to research as much as I could about restaurants and allergy info in regards to Universal. After trying this approach, my advice to others is don’t waste your time googling. There’s almost no information out there, and what I could find in the form of blogs or reviews for the most part ended up being outdated and no longer accurate. For instance, I read a blog about the Croissant Moon Bakery having gluten free pastries. If they ever had them, they no longer exist. However, they do have a prepackaged gluten free brownie, but no rolls or other types of bakery items as the information I read had implied.

Universal’s main stance on allergies seems to be instructions telling guests to look at our menus to see if you can eat anything.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/things-to-do/dining/food-allergies/index.html#how-to-plan

I find this such a great approach!:headache: Because of course the menus list all of the ingredients! I know I can immediately tell if there’s soy, corn syrup, or gluten in a dish just by the name! Not to mention all the other invisible foods, I’d never expect to find. Universal’s next bit of advice if you aren’t happy with the first suggestion is to simply contact them or talk to a chef. As we found about 99% to 100% of most menus contained foods my sister couldn't eat, talking to the chef was the only real option, so I basically gave up on the research before hand, and we sort of winged it. This delivered mixed results.

The one thing I will say is that for the most part I wouldn’t be comfortable eating at the majority of the restaurants we did, both in Universal and around Orlando, if cross contamination was a concern. Usually, there was a disclaimer on the menu stating cross contamination was possible, or we just didn’t have confidence in the staff / chef, or they told us it was a possibility. Only two restaurants really stood out as winners in the cross contamination game, Margaritaville and Confisco Grille. These two were the best allergy friendly experiences overall as well. They were really great. We’d go back again, and I’ve never been a big fan of Confisco to begin with.

Before I get into the actual restaurant reviews, I thought I’d list some of the information we have found useful during this whole allergy journey.

Below I’ve listed the chain restaurants we’ve found so far that offer allergy menus online, so you can actually plan in advance. We found that in the end it was actually less stressful to either eat at home or eat at one of the below restaurants where we could plan ahead and know what we were getting, then to try to navigate the world that is Universal allergies.

Probably not what most people want to hear, but it’s the truth. And those of you that recognize me know I’m a big Universal fan and really prefer them to Disney, especially the food, so it pains me to say that. But I think they still have a lot of work to do in the allergy department. We also knew that there was literally nothing she could have at a number of the restaurants, so there was no point even trying. We may try more places in the future, but we reached a point where she didn’t need to take anymore chances because she’d reached the limit on the amount of food she had consumed that she wasn’t supposed to (mainly soy) and anymore would be too much, so we kind of gave up trying. I would have liked to have eaten at a few more restaurants, as I didn’t get a chance to visit all my favorites, but it wouldn’t have been a good idea for her.

Red Robbin
https://www.redrobin.com/allergen-customizer.html
This restaurant has never been a favorite of ours, but I think it’s becoming one. They do a great job with letting you know about what’s in their food. They also have gluten free buns. My sister likes eating here because they have sweet potato fries which she can eat since she can’t eat regular fries.

The allergen options listed on their online interactive menu are:
Milk
Eggs
Gluten
Wheat
Fish
Shellfish
Peanuts
Tree nuts
Soy
Vegan

PF Chang
https://www.pfchangs.com/nutrition/allergens
This is probably one of the best restaurants to eat at as long as your allergy isn’t soy. Basically, the entire menu has soy in it. Other than that, they do a good job listing all the main allergens and then some and the chef does come to the table to speak with you as well. I’m still not sure they can guarantee no cross contamination, but it’s more personalized than I’ve seen at other chains.

The allergen options listed on their online menu are:
Wheat
Soy
Milk
Egg
Fish
Shellfish
Tree nuts
Peanuts
Corn
Sulfites
Sesame
Legume
Onion
Mushroom
Gluten

Chipotle
https://www.chipotle.com/allergens
I didn’t think it was possible to love Chipotle more than I already did, but I think we do now. We ate so much Chipotle this summer I actually got sick of it. It is a great place for allergy sufferers. They provide allergy info up front on their website, and since most of the ingredients are fresh, no preservatives or additives, it is really easy to know what you are ordering. What you see is what you get. You don’t really have to worry about invisible allergens. And the best part is their menu is basically soy free, except for the tofu!!!

The allergen options listed on their online menu are:
Milk
Soybean
Wheat & Gluten
Sulphites
Vegetarian
Vegan

A disclaimer on their site states:
“WE DO NOT USE EGGS**, MUSTARD, PEANUTS, TREE NUTS, SESAME, SHELLFISH, OR FISH AS INGREDIENTS IN OUR FOOD.”
Which explains why allergy information is not provided for those foods.

Sweet Tomatoes
https://sweettomatoes.com/nutrition-guide/#nutrition
Sweet Tomatoes is an all you can eat salad bar buffet with a changing seasonal menu. Similar to Chipotle, the majority of the ingredients are going to be what you see is what you get. However, they do have soups, premade salads, pasta, and bakery items that you would need to look up allergy info for. They always have one gluten free bakery item, usually some type of muffin and a couple of different gluten free soups as well. The down side is that due to the restaurant being a buffet, you can count on cross contamination to some degree.

Gluten
Egg
Shellfish
Soy
Fish
Peanuts
Milk
Wheat
Tree nuts
Vegan
Vegetarian

Note: Their allergy menu is a bit hidden. You have to first click on View Our Interactive Menu and then select the Gluten and Allergens heading to unhide the choices.

Captain Ds
https://www.captainds.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Nutritional-and-Allergen-Information.pdf
This one came as a complete shock. Captain Ds is just not the kind of place you think of when you think healthy or allergy free dining. But their allergy menu is straight forward and easy to read. I do also find it kind of funny that fish is listed as an allergen at a fish restaurant. Maybe I should be concerned about the entrees that don’t tick that one off.

The allergen options listed on their online pdf menu are:
Fish
Milk
Peanuts
Shellfish
Soy
Tree nuts
Wheat
Corn
Gluten
Added MSG
Pepper

Note: The allergy information starts on page 4 of the guide.

Chick-fil-A
https://www.chick-fil-a.com/-/media/Files/CFACOM/Allergens-PDFs/Allergens-2018-01-22.ashx
Another fast food option with an online allergy menu. Thank goodness for the grilled chicken nuggets, no soy or gluten. I think she’s burned out on these as well as it is one of the few known safe options for her when we were traveling and short on time.

Dairy
Soy
Tree nut
Wheat
Egg

California Pizza Kitchen
https://www.cpk.com/Contents/Downloads/Nutrition-Allergen.pdf?1
Not our favorite place in the world, but they do offer both gluten free pizza crust and cauliflower crust and have a detailed allergy menu. The gluten free crust is only available for select pizzas, but the cauliflower crust can be substituted for any pizza.

Peanuts
Eggs
Dairy
Shellfish
Wheat
Soy
Tree nuts
Fish
Certified Gluten Free
Gluten Free Ingredients

Note: The allergen information starts on page 34.

Mellow Mushroom
http://www.nutritionix.com/mellow-mushroom/menu/special-diets/premium
I’m going to be honest I’ve never really cared for this place. I don't dislike it, but I don’t understand all the hype. However, my sister does like it, and they do have gluten free crust and an online interactive menu. Having said that, this isn’t her favorite gluten free pizza by any means. The service and quality of food here have also been hit or miss for us. We've had some bad experiences with them messing up orders and taking a very long time over an hour and a half to bring her food. I don’t recommend it, but I’m including it for the all the fans outs there.

Animal Products
Eggs
Fish
Milk
Peanuts
Shellfish
Soy
Tree nuts
Wheat
Gluten free crust

Honorable Gluten Free Pizza Mention: Ruskin Family Drive-In Theater
http://www.ruskinfamilydrivein.com/
This is a small family owned drive in theater about 30 minutes south of Tampa. It’s not too far from the Manatee Viewing Center if anyone has plans to visit there. Even though it’s a drive in, you can go and order food to go without paying for the movie. They don’t have a big menu, and there is virtually no allergy information provided, but they do sell gluten free pizzas. The pizza is plain, simple cheese or pepperoni, but my sister said it’s the best of that type of pizza she’s had so far. She said it was much better than even Papa-johns, and she liked the crust better than either of the crusts at Mellow or California. They win out in the overall toppings category, but for simply the best crust, the drive-in actually wins. I tried the pizza as well and was surprised it was gluten free. The first time we went I thought maybe they gave her a regular pizza by mistake. It didn’t have that gritty doughy texture so many gluten free foods have. It tasted like a normal thin crust pizza to me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nothing amazing since it’s just a plain pepperoni pizza and a concession one at that. But, the fact that it tasted like a normal pizza, maybe not the best normal pizza, but normal nonetheless, is what impressed us. The downside is they make everything from scratch when you order, so you’ll have to wait a good 20 minutes or more for your food. The other issue we ran into is that even though the website explicitly states you can order food to go, they don’t provide pizza boxes, so plan accordingly if you don’t stay for the movie. It’s not somewhere we’d drive out of the way just to eat at, but we’d eat there again if we were in the area.

Pizza Note:
I checked with my sister to see which pizza place she actually prefers best as far as those with gluten free crust are concerned. She said her actual favorite so far is PizzaRev. They also have an allergy free interactive online menu. Sadly, there aren’t any anywhere near Orlando, but I thought I’d mention it for those who might have one near their home. If anyone has any other suggestions for good places to try gluten free allergy free pizza, feel free to let me know.
http://www.nutritionix.com/pizzarev/menu/special-diets/premium

Jason’s Deli
https://www.jasonsdeli.com/nutrition/nutrition-calculator
Once they put her on the gluten free diet, this became one of her favorite places to eat at home. They have gluten free bread that she likes the taste and texture of and a thorough allergy menu.

Milk
Eggs
Gluten
Wheat
Soy
Peanuts
Treanuts
Fish
Shellfish
Mustard
Vegetarian
Vegan

They also have information detailing their gluten free policy and process here.
https://www.jasonsdeli.com/nutrition/allergens

Note: They sort of hide their allergy menu. You’ll need to select the state first. Then select the specific location in the state. The closest location to Universal is Crystal Lake. (It’s about 15 minutes up I4, but expect it to take longer if traffic is bad.) Then click on I Have Food Allergies and Preferences, and you’ll finally be able to select the allergens that apply to you.

Honorable Mention Gluten Free Mexican: Azteca D’Oro
I’m sure there are a million Mexican restaurants in Orlando. There’s probably a number better than here, but we recently came across this small chain and really like it. There’s no allergy menu that I’m aware of, but the gluten free options are designated on the menu. I thought the decor was nice. I went to a couple of different ones over the summer and none were run down or in disrepair. The one I visited closest to Disney was really cute and seemed to cater to families. I went on a Sunday after church, and they had someone there blowing up very elaborate balloon animals for the kids. I saw quite a few balloon Mickeys and Minnies. I’m sure a Minion could be arranged as well. They also had a Mariachi band playing. I grew up in Texas, so that brought back some fond memories. It was a lot of fun and the food and service were very good as well. I’m excited to go back in the future as there are still a few dishes I’d like to try on the menu. I didn’t get to go very often as we weren’t sure about what invisible allergens might be lurking, and we didn’t want to take any chances.

Honorable Mention Gluten Free Donuts: Mini Doughnut Factory
This is a very small donut shop with two locations, one in Tampa and one in St. Pete. We’ve made a number of other unsuccessful attempts to find gluten free donuts back home. Those have all ended in the trash, so it was really nice to finally find an actual edible gluten free donut that tastes good. The other plus to this restaurant is that you custom make your donuts to order, so it’s easy to work around allergies. The donuts are also small, so you can try a number of different flavors until you find your favorite type without feeling like you are wasting food or spending a ton of money. They also differentiate between gluten free as a lifestyle choice and actually gluten free with the need for there to be no cross contamination. They will specifically ask you about if cross contamination is ok or not and respond accordingly. It is also a fun place to take kids who really enjoy designing their own donuts and enjoy the novelty of the tiny little donuts. It’s worth a stop if you are in the area.

That’s all the restaurants I can think of off the top of my head that we’ve recently been visiting. Hopefully, this list will help others. If anyone has any other great places, I’ll be happy to add them.

As far as grocery stores if you want to do your own shopping we’ve found the below to offer the best allergy friendly options in the order listed below.

Whole Foods
*Chamberlain’s Natural Foods
Fresh Market
Super Target

*We weren’t familiar with Chamberlain’s before this summer. I’m not sure if it’s a national chain or local to Orlando, but I wish we had one back home. It’s a small store, about the size of a Walgreens, but they really have a lot of great options. We even found certain items there that weren’t available at Whole Foods, so it’s definitely worth checking out if you are near one.

Sorry, I didn’t think it would take me this long to get around to writing up the actual Universal part.

I’ll start with our snacking experience.

Because my sister has to do both gluten free and soy free on top of avoiding all the other foods she can’t have, that basically wiped out 75% of what was available snack wise.

We had read that the Universal bakeries had gluten free pastry options, but they did not. We asked around at both the bakeries in both parks, and the only gluten free option they had was a prepackaged brownie, and it took a while and a couple people to get that answer. They were very busy in both bakeries and in general, we felt like we were bothering them asking questions. It was an awkward experience, we didn’t really want to repeat. As far as other allergies, the staff wasn’t really familiar off the top of their head and offered to get a manager or go check, but as there really wasn’t anything gluten free to begin with we declined. At that point, we just wanted to leave.

We had a much better experience at the candy store at the front of IOA. They were really great and very knowledgeable about what was in the different items sold there. I’m not sure if we just got lucky and caught a knowledgeable TM, or they have easily available packaging to look at or what. There were a number of gluten free options as far as candy went. However, those all had corn syrup or some other forbidden ingredient in them, so again, nothing she could have. But overall, it was a good experience. Not awkward, and they were very nice and helpful.

Universal’s snack carts tend to fall into two categories, carbs or fruit. Also, most of the carts carry the exact same items and if not exact, very similar ones, basically pretzels, donuts, pastries, popcorn, churros and fruit. However, not all options are available in the same cart, usually only one or two. Since my sister can’t have gluten or corn that left only fruit as far as the carts went. The carts usually had whole apples, whole oranges, bags of grapes, and cups containing watermelon, cantaloupe, and green melon. Since she can’t eat apples and eating a whole orange in the parks seemed messy, our go to snack was usually the fruit cup, with the plan being that I’d eat the watermelon she couldn’t have. However, we ran into a slight issue. The watermelon was always bad. We tried a few different carts on different days, and every time, the watermelon in the cup was bad. We think we figured out what happening. The way they display the fruit cups in the stands the cantaloupe and melon are buried under the ice. However, the watermelon is above the ice in direct sunlight, so we think the direct sunlight combined with the extreme summer heat is what caused the fruit on top to start to spoil. We switched to buying prepackaged fruit sold inside Starbucks in their refrigerated section and never had any issues with that. The refrigerated fruit was all in good condition, so I definitely suggest sticking with the Starbucks fruit in the summer. I’ve had the Universal fruit cups in the winter before, and they were always ok, but they just weren’t holding up well in the summer heat.

So, our overall experience with snacks was that we had the option of fruit or fruit, pretty much.

but when a part of one of these is used in cooking, it can become invisible

Mine is coconut. I have to be really careful these days because people now cook with coconut oil and it kills my stomach. I also don't have breathing issues or a rash but the stomach pains will then kick up my autoimmune disease and it is just a chain reaction from there. Great post :)

I am so glad we do not have to deal with allergies, but good info for those who do.

I cannot drink Tea. Of any kind. I am not going to call it an allergy, but it makes me throw it back up.

One time I went to the mailbox and there was a free pack of Koolaid strawberry tea mix and not even thinking I thought I will fix that for supper.

Mixed it up, had it with supper, went to watch TV and suddenly I didn't feel too good. I barely had time to grab the trash can. It took me a minute to realize I had drank TEA.

I know that was the name of it, but it just didn't register it was actually TEA. Never made that mistake again.

My allergy list is similar to your sisters and have found that eating anywhere is hard. But my go tos in the parks are the Harry Potter themed places. They have some options that are prepaired in a different way that are easier on allergiy people. Though for a sweet treat I found the gummy eggs are not amde with any offending substance to me and you can get them at suess landing.

I'm gluten sensitive, yet also have allergies to flax and psyllium, which are very often found in gluten-free rolls/crusts, etc. I haven't had an anaphylactic reaction that required an epipen yet, but my voice changes, my chest become very itchy inside, and my mouth/throat numb. Benadryl has taken care of it, but I've been told to avoid, or my next reaction could be anaphylactic. Also, most nuts except for walnuts and pecans - peanuts are ok. The last super challenging one is sunflower and safflower oils/ingredients. Dried fruit is usually coated with it; most chips are cooked in it, and it is almost every bag or package of pre-processed food, including "gluten free" items - ingredients change all the time, and more and more foods are using sunflower/safflower oils - anything labeled "vegetable oil" is out. Last week I ate out, was super careful (I have a card with these allergies/explanation) and I decided to be safe and have eggs and bacon - I asked if the eggs could be cooked in butter, and I was assured they would be. They came out, and I had a nice bite of the eggs and had an immediate reaction. Numb mouth, throat, gravelly voice. They said THEN that they didn't have butter, but used Canola oil. I don't believe them, about the oil. They offered to make me something else, but I was afraid. I'm feeling a bit anxious as we head into our first trip to Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter