• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DVCJones

DIS Veteran
I am planning our next trip for April 08 ( never can start too early:) ) and I am trying to decide between VWL and SSR and I need some help.

I own at SSR and really want to stay there. I also have fond memories staying at FW when I was a kid and think that the VWL would be nice for that reason. We also have two DD's who will be 3 and 5. I like the idea of the zero entry pool at SSR. I also like the idea of being able to take a boat to the MK. (where we will be spending most of our park time)

What to do???

If staying at SSR, is there a location that gives you a DTD view with an easy to get to bus location where we wouldn't be stuck standing all the time. Not that I mind standing, it just hard with two little ones. That is why the boat to the MK sounds nice to me.

If staying at VWL, can you walk to the campground to participate in the campfires and activities offered there?

I can make my ressie for SSR now, but I will have to wait until the middle of Sept. for VWL.

Any thoughts or suggestions???:confused3

Thanks!

We own at BCV and SSR. BCV is my fav, so we have stayed there a few times. However I am in such a hurry to try all of the DVC resorts that we are doing a split stay for the first time this Aug. The first week at OKW and the second at VWL. This year we will be driving so I don't mind doing two different resorts. Each resort has something different to offer. We have tried BCV, SSR, HH, so far I have not been dissapointed. Every resort has something different to offer. I know split stays aren't for everyone, but I'm willing to give it a try.

VWL was a perfect location for our group last summer, because of the proximity to MK. DGC, ages 1, 2, and 3 only visited MK, and the villa pool and the kiddie pool were enough to make them happy. We have swimmers this year, and so I imagine that the slide pool will be utilized as well.

The path to FW isn't lit, so night travel wouldn't be advised, but you can take the boat. You can rent bikes or the surrey bikes to go over to the little petting zoo, and pony rides and to visit the huge horses in their stable over at FW. Lunch/dinner at the Trails End is tasty, too.

Bobbi:goodvibes

We've stayed at both. They are both great resorts, but I'd suggest staying at your home resort for your first trip. Both resorts are very quiet and relaxed.

To us, the big advantages of each resort with preschoolers would be:

VWL -
  • proximity to WL for the campfire w/Chip and Dale (although we've never actually found time to make it happen - I always intend to!)
  • love the ferry boat to MK.
  • stunning design/lobby/themeing
  • best family TS restaurant

SSR -
  • convenient bus transportation to everywhere
  • best pool for small children
  • best CS restaurant for small children
  • community hall w/activities
  • bigger and more luxurious studio rooms
  • easy access to DTD for winding down - Rainforest cafe, Lego Store, Bibbidi Bobbidi, Once Upon a Toy, WOD

We just got back from our first ever DVC trip to our home resort SSR. We stayed in Congress Park which had a DTD view and convenient bus service. We didn’t ride the buses all the time since we had a car, but we didn’t have to stand when we did ride the buses. I thought the bus service at SSR was very good. My DD6 loved the pool. She is a good swimmer so she used all the slides. There is a big slide and a smaller slide for little ones. She also loved Donald’s wet play area. Never been to VWL so can’t compare.

I would stay at VWL with kids as little as yours. Besides the fact that it is a beautiful resort, the location would probably be best for you since you say that you'll spend most of your time in MK. The boat ride to and from MK is nice and very convenient. If you're using your own stroller, you can wheel it right onto the boat with the kid(s) in it! That's so much better than getting everybody and everything out of the stroller, folding stroller, etc. as you have to do on busses and trams.

We're staying at VWL in Aug and I can't wait. It's our first time staying there with kids and I know the location will be perfect for this trip. We usually rent a car and are no doing so this time, so the boat ride will be very convenient for us.

Have a great time!

Like all DVC resorts, both SSR and VWL are both fantastic so the reality is you can't lose no matter where you go! But here's a nice suggestion for you:

One of the advantages you have for an April reservation is that it's one of the times of the year when you have a good shot at booking VWL at the 7 month window (preferably on a day to day basis to increase your chances for success even further)!

Look at it this way, VWL is very difficult to book during Oct and Nov (because of the lower points required for DVC resorts during those months) and almost impossible to book during December (because of the holiday decorations at VWL) without the 11 month window home advantage.

You're lucky since you have a good shot at availability during April when demand for VWL is not as high as for Oct, Nov or Dec.

Best wishes,
Dave

P.S. - You can always book SSR now with your 11 month advantage so you know your safe, and then switch your reservation to VWL at the 7 month window if it is available.

We have stayed at both and have DS8 and DD7.

SSR--

Stayed in 1 bdrm in Congress Park facing road/bus stop. Very short walk to bus stop and easy walk for us to main pool/food. Also enjoyed smaller pool/spa in Congress park and sitting on the rockers looking at the lights from the walkway facing DTD/Pleasure Island at night. Loved walk to DTD and having option of using boat to/from DTD. Artist's Palette had great food for all with easels on the tables for kids(adults to enjoy). Great activities for kids--movies by the pool, contests, activities center with crafts, video games movies, puzzles, etc. Had NO problem with buses. Very friendly CMs and Mousekeeping. Beautiful, relaxing atmosphere.

VWL--

Stayed in 1 bdrm facing lake and DVC pool area. Amazing setting surrounded by tall trees and peaceful music. Can watch Electric Water Pageant from beach and could hear and semi-see through trees from balcony. Loved boat ride to/from MK. Did not go to FW but the boat dock was close and boats were nice. Enjoyed renting small boats for lake behind VWL. Loved Whispering Canyon(TS) but thought Roaring Forks(CS) was ok. Very nice CMs and great Mousekeeping. Buses were fine. Nice kid's club located on property. Grand yet serene atmosphere.

We truly loved them both. Since you are planning to spend most time at MK, VWL may be the best choice for you and then you can try SSR when kids are bigger and you can enjoy DTD. Both are great places for different reasons. If I can help, send me a pm with questions. I'd be happy to help:goodvibes

P.S. - You can always book SSR now with your 11 month advantage so you know your safe, and then switch your reservation to VWL at the 7 month window if it is available.

I second this suggestion. You could even be placed on the waitlist for VWL so that if it comes through, you'd get it automatically.

I've stayed at both and I would suggest VWL. With the ages of your children, you will likely be spending most of your time at MK and VWL offers the best transportation. It is such a serene atmosphere. Hard to believe you are in Florida. It's also smaller so it's easier to walk around for the younger ones. I based my suggestion mostly on the fact that you will be able to get into SSR about any time due to the size of the resort, but it is more difficult to get into VWL. THe time of year you are going you have a good chance to get into VWL. If your next trip is during a busier time, you will probably not be able to book VWL, so I say book it while you can.

I agree that you should book SSR and try to get VWL at the 7 month window. That way you can be assured you will have a room.

Believe me, you will be more than happy with either VWL or SSR.

Thank you all so much for all the suggestions. I think I am going to take the wonderful advice and book SSR, but try for VWL at 7 months.:)

Thanks again!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter