• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All FP machines to be removed from Animal Kingdom by next week and....

I'm noticing a distinct lack of posts in this thread from those who claim that FP+ is wonderful and will enhance everyone's WDW experience in the most positive of ways.

The rubber is about to meet the road.

I guess, ultimately, it could be wonderful. At this time, it does not appear that way.

Kelly

You can.

Do you suppose most off-site or local or day-of guests have done so?

If they want to use the system they should. I got an email earlier in the year to open it, so I did. When I booked my trip everything went into it without me having to link anything. There is no downside to opening the account...that I see anyways. This show is on the road whether we like it or not, so if you are going to WDW I would roll with it. Don't you think?

If they want to use the system they should. I got an email earlier in the year to open it, so I did. When I booked my trip everything went into it without me having to link anything. There is no downside to opening the account...that I see anyways. This show is on the road whether we like it or not, so if you are going to WDW I would roll with it. Don't you think?

I'm noticing a distinct lack of posts in this thread from those who claim that FP+ is wonderful and will enhance everyone's WDW experience in the most positive of ways.

The rubber is about to meet the road.

Well, this combined with the FP+ pre-booking dates being moved to 30 days out just makes me shake my head.

And stomp my feet.

And bang my head against the wall.

And throw things. LOTS of things.

I think people are making this too complicated. On-site guests and AP holders will be allowed to pre-book experiences--this is the perk to staying on-site or buying an AP.

Off-site guests will essentially use FP+ the same way FP- is used right now. Remains to be seen, obviously, how well that works, but I don't see it as being that different from the way things work now, except that, presumably, on-site guests and AP holders will have first dibs on FP slots. However, one of the great things about this is that the system should not be as linear, and FP times may be scattered throughout the day rather than becoming later and later until they run out as they do now. I could see this being used to keep a more even flow of guests at FP+ attractions. IOW, a certain number of slots will always be "held back" for day-of use by all guests. But if a bunch of people pre-booked FP+ times for evening leaving a lot of afternoon slots, the kiosks will show a lot of availability in the afternoon. And obviously this will change throughout the day as people make changes on the fly.

I think now that the intention has never been to limit on-site guests to 3 FP+ with tiers, and that guests will still be able to make additional day-of FP bookings. Maybe there won't be any limits on FP on the day-of except overall availability (like now) and not being able to "hold" more than one FP+ at a time.

I could get behind this system (warts and all) if that ends up being the case and day of FP+ are available once you're in the park. If that happens, it helps the park hopping, tiering issues and MK issues, leaving us with only the planning rigidly in advance issue. I wouldn't love it, but I could deal with it.

We're a family that hasn't stayed offsite since the early 90's though. I can't say I'd be pleased if I were an offsite guest used to a fairly level playing field, but it's understandable if Disney were to move to a system like this. Onsite perks (aside from unchangeable ones like location) have been decreasing over the years.

ETA: Just please fix the awful MDE website and app. Please. Also, implement same day FP+ by February ;)

I think now that the intention has never been to limit on-site guests to 3 FP+ with tiers, and that guests will still be able to make additional day-of FP bookings. Maybe there won't be any limits on FP on the day-of except overall availability (like now) and not being able to "hold" more than one FP+ at a time.

This is a strong possibility. I think that the rolling one FP+ for day of reservation will work just like the FP- system. Only you can cancel and change it as needed. When you're in your window, get a new one. If you think about it, it is less waste of paper FP-. So many get taken and never used.

This is a strong possibility. I think that the rolling one FP+ for day of reservation will work just like the FP- system. Only you can cancel and change it as needed. When you're in your window, get a new one. If you think about it, it is less waste of paper FP-. So many get taken and never used.

Another potential advantage is that, with my rose-colored FP+ glasses on, I can make day-of FP+ reservations not only from the kiosks but from MDE. So theoretically, I could be having breakfast at Boma and make my day-of FP+ reservations there before heading to the park . . .

At least that's the way I'd like to see it work.

I think people are making this too complicated. On-site guests and AP holders will be allowed to pre-book experiences--this is the perk to staying on-site or buying an AP.

Off-site guests will essentially use FP+ the same way FP- is used right now. Remains to be seen, obviously, how well that works, but I don't see it as being that different from the way things work now, except that, presumably, on-site guests and AP holders will have first dibs on FP slots. However, one of the great things about this is that the system should not be as linear, and FP times may be scattered throughout the day rather than becoming later and later until they run out as they do now. I could see this being used to keep a more even flow of guests at FP+ attractions. IOW, a certain number of slots will always be "held back" for day-of use by all guests. But if a bunch of people pre-booked FP+ times for evening leaving a lot of afternoon slots, the kiosks will show a lot of availability in the afternoon. And obviously this will change throughout the day as people make changes on the fly.

I think this is totally possible.

But the issue is...what will the same-day availability be when thousands and thousands of people have gotten in line 60 days (or whatever) ahead?

If they haven't, now is the time to do it. I wouldn't want to be standing in line at a kiosk or having no FP, all standby. When they pull the FP- machines that will be their options if you don't have the account.

But the issue is...what will the same-day availability be when thousands and thousands of people have gotten in line 60 days (or whatever) ahead?

Theoretically, it would be slightly worse than the FP- situation right now, wouldn't it?

We can probably assume that in this situation they're not adding anybody to the prebooking pool (except maybe AP holders staying offsite) but that more people will become aware of the system as time goes on. Other than that, aside from offsite guests who don't use FP+ because it's not as simple as FP-, there shouldn't be too much difference than there is now. The day of FP+ will probably go at a similar rate to the smaller number of legacy FP now, assuming they restrict it to in park reservations only.

If they haven't, now is the time to do it. I wouldn't want to be standing in line at a kiosk or having no FP, all standby. When they pull the FP- machines that will be their options if you don't have the account.

I have one for ADRs.

I think that's really the $20,000 question, but a certain percentage of the population will never pull any kind of FP, some won't show (I'm sure that's built in to the equation), and obviously the tiering was meant to address this precise issue. But right now, people are booking FP+ and using regular FP, and in many cases, have been double and triple-dipping, and by and large most people are saying there continues to be good FP+ availability even during busy times. I will be very curious to see how it shakes out. But I absolutely refuse to believe that Disney didn't know the numbers before diving in to this new system, and that it isn't fully aware that if the guest experience diminishes as a result, so will profits. That seems like a no-brainer to me. Now IT issues and glitches are, to me, a separate issue, because unlike a flawed concept or relying on bad data, these are fixable issues.

After reading all these posts and contemplating what will happen once all the paper kiosk are gone a question came to mind. In the past you have had to physically walk up to the kiosk to get your FP, this has it's own built-in "curb" and only rides like TSM are out almost immediately. Now people will be able to book FPs way in advance without having to step foot in the parks. Question: Won't this create many situations where there won't be ANY FPs available on many of the headliners on the day you enter the park? I realize this won't be a huge issue for those who plan their trips way in advance but folks like me who live fairly close often don't plan a trip much more than a week or two away it seems like it will be a major issue.

Another potential advantage is that, with my rose-colored FP+ glasses on, I can make day-of FP+ reservations not only from the kiosks but from MDE. So theoretically, I could be having breakfast at Boma and make my day-of FP+ reservations there before heading to the park . . .

At least that's the way I'd like to see it work.

The other question is why does it have to be same day??? If I have a 7 day pass associated with my MDE, why not give me access to pre book 7 days and then lock out??? The MDE will not let you book more than your pass allows, and it only gives you a 14 day from first use day window, so it is possible to give them prebook status without it overloading the system day of. And like Disney said, they are locking their guests in to a plan prior to arrival even offsite guest. It's genius really, but I have those glasses on too!;)

After reading all these posts and contemplating what will happen once all the paper kiosk are gone a question came to mind. In the past you have had to physically walk up to the kiosk to get your FP, this has it's own built-in "curb" and only rides like TSM are out almost immediately. Now people will be able to book FPs way in advance without having to step foot in the parks. Question: Won't this create many situations where there won't be ANY FPs available on many of the headliners on the day you enter the park? I realize this won't be a huge issue for those who plan their trips way in advance but folks like me who live fairly close often don't plan a trip much more than a week or two away it seems like it will be a major issue.

Yup.

Welcome to the "But, What Will Happen To..." FP+ club.

The "advance reservation" FP+ situation has always been the more problematic part of the program.
The NUMBERS don't add up well.

Yes, we've been discussing this. The headliners do not have enough capacity. There have been numbers thrown around for the past week. Legacy FP's run out for them (TSMM, Soaring/TT, ETWB, 7DMT) fast. Pre-booking headliners, even if they limit it to one FP+ is not going to alleviate that problem. Sure, they may con newcomers into booking FP+ for Figment or Living with the Land or Muppets, but eventually the numbers are going to catch up with them. :goodvibes

The only possible advantage I can see is if there is a way to book same-day in some way other than kiosks. A ride like TSMM of course runs out quickly and people have to hurry to it in the hope that they can get fastpasses for the evening. That will probably still be true but it would be better to be able to book from anywhere and any amount ahead of time would also help.

I don't know, it doesn't sound all that promising so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter