All about the Autotrain

Hello! We just rode from LOR to SFA on June 3.
The dining car is still closed for dinner due to staffing. They hope to open it later this week. We had a bedroom and a roommate for our daughter. Our SCA , (sleeping car attendant) was Debbie and she was terrific. You have the same SCA for the whole trip.

When you check in, you pick a time for dinner to be delivered, with choices 5:30, 6:30 and 7:30. We got to the station a little after 2 and 6:30 was gone. That was fine with us, because we always start with a wine and cheese party in our room. So we got dinner delivered at 6:30 on the request the time you want your room transformed for sleeping. My exhausted teacher daughter picked 8 and we asked for 10:30. That is about the latest that is reasonable for the SCA.

In the morning, breakfast is grab and go in the diner, and then you can take it to your room or eat in the lounge. We ate in the lounge. A good egg and sausage sandwich, and a crumbcake. Tasty. The SCA will do up your room while you are getting breakfast, which is 6-9.

We tipped 40 for the 3 of us. Generally, you tip at the end as you exit the train.

Approximately how long does it take to unload, once the train arrives in Sanford? We have friends that will be taking the train and meeting us there (we get to Orlando the day before)

Approximately how long does it take to unload, once the train arrives in Sanford? We have friends that will be taking the train and meeting us there (we get to Orlando the day before)
It’s a crap shoot. After you certain, the first cars come out in about 15 minutes. They are the 30 priority, which you pay for. Then they come off randomly. We got ours about half an hour after we detained. It can take over an hour for the last one to come off.

It’s a crap shoot. After you certain, the first cars come out in about 15 minutes. They are the 30 priority, which you pay for. Then they come off randomly. We got ours about half an hour after we detained. It can take over an hour for the last one to come off.
Great, thanks! So I'm thinking we'll have at least 2ish hours (depending on if they stop to eat) after they pull in, until they can meet up with us.

Hello! We just rode from LOR to SFA on June 3.
The dining car is still closed for dinner due to staffing. They hope to open it later this week. We had a bedroom and a roommate for our daughter. Our SCA , (sleeping car attendant) was Debbie and she was terrific. You have the same SCA for the whole trip.

When you check in, you pick a time for dinner to be delivered, with choices 5:30, 6:30 and 7:30. We got to the station a little after 2 and 6:30 was gone. That was fine with us, because we always start with a wine and cheese party in our room. So we got dinner delivered at 6:30 on the request the time you want your room transformed for sleeping. My exhausted teacher daughter picked 8 and we asked for 10:30. That is about the latest that is reasonable for the SCA.

In the morning, breakfast is grab and go in the diner, and then you can take it to your room or eat in the lounge. We ate in the lounge. A good egg and sausage sandwich, and a crumbcake. Tasty. The SCA will do up your room while you are getting breakfast, which is 6-9.

We tipped 40 for the 3 of us. Generally, you tip at the end as you exit the train.

Thank you So much— that is excellent information!

We’ve been super quick and have also been the 2nd to last car!!! That took a loonngg time!

Just adding from my experience. We stayed in a roomette. It took over 2 hours to get our car once we finally arrived. Our train was delayed several hours.
We paid to get priority loading on our return. (Haven't done it yet)
Also, we found the food inedible. Luckily we had packed a cooler.

Just adding from my experience. We stayed in a roomette. It took over 2 hours to get our car once we finally arrived. Our train was delayed several hours.
We paid to get priority loading on our return. (Haven't done it yet)
Also, we found the food inedible. Luckily we had packed a cooler.
We’re also not a big fan of the meals. We have a great lunch at Glory Days before boarding (or Cracker Barrel), shop for fun food at that grocery down the street and pick at all else. The breakfast suffices.

It wasn’t gourmet, but on June 3 I had the chicken on risotto, DH had the salmon and DD had the tortellini. I’m allergic to fish, but he said it was pretty good. The chicken was fine, not great, but the risotto, mushroom sauce and veggies were all quite good. The tortellini seriously needed crushed red pepper, but it wasn’t mushy. The chocolate torte for dessert was very good, and the wine was Kendall Jackson, not out of a box. We had already had our wine and cheese party that we bring in tribute to the wine tasting days, including the pre-stale Ute party mix. We were happy and festive.

It wasn’t gourmet, but on June 3 I had the chicken on risotto, DH had the salmon and DD had the tortellini. I’m allergic to fish, but he said it was pretty good. The chicken was fine, not great, but the risotto, mushroom sauce and veggies were all quite good. The tortellini seriously needed crushed red pepper, but it wasn’t mushy. The chocolate torte for dessert was very good, and the wine was Kendall Jackson, not out of a box. We had already had our wine and cheese party that we bring in tribute to the wine tasting days, including the pre-stale Ute party mix. We were happy and festive.
I’ll have my wine as well and will definitely give the chocolate torte a go!

Sorry to be dense but can someone please explain the advantage of the auto train vs just driving for those who don’t live close to VA? Eg if I’m driving from the northeast why would I only go half way, deal with the stress of being on time, loading unloading etc, and paying more than what gas (and a hotel) would cost? If you are close by I get it, but if I’m already going through the hassle of driving why not just do the whole thing?

I live in CT, eastern/middle/southern, basically towards the bottom of the CT river. As a family we took the AT about 10-12 years ago. The year before we drove to Ft. Myers-destination for both trips. We said we never wanted to drive again so we tried the AT. We had rooms, didn't sleep well but slept better then those in coach-just looking at them coming off the train. We were still tired and had another 4+ hour drive after we got off the train.

Last week I drove with my son home from school in Daytona (he stayed late for summer A to get in some flying time). FL was quick to get out of. I got the rain in SC pretty much the whole way. We didn't stop until we got to north of Baltimore. We left at 8:45am and got to our hotel around 11:40pm. Tired...yes! But we knew we had to get ahead of that DC/Baltimore traffic. Those long states are torturous for us. He and I both agree as much as we hate the traffic it is at least "something to see" vs trees, trees and trees.

So we are taking the AT in August when I bring him back to school just to get some rest. It won't be saving much but it will save one night in a hotel, actually 2 because we are leaving a day later now. It won't save on tolls unfortunately. It will save on food, it may be good, it may be bad but the last time I liked the steak! So we won't be stopping for 4 meals, just 2 and I may bring sandwiches for the day we leave so one meal-i book hotels with free breakfast. No stop at Buc-ees in SC for me to spend $30 on junk-I can do that at the Daytona one which is maybe 10 min from his school and about 2 min from his storage locker! It will save a little on gas. But he is in a Civic and can get 35-40mpg but I think he is getting a different car for the fall so it will save on even more gas.

I am not sure if I will take it back north next May/June because the timing and traffic. It took us from 12:30-3:45 to get from the vince lombardi rest stop to the Milford, CT one and we still had another 40 min drive but he wanted to go over the GW bridge to see the sights.

Did anyone book with points recently? I am wondering what is now a 'deal'. We last went in 2019 and I snapped up a roomette once it was 15 thousand-ish points. Got the return for 12000+! Now it's all so much more so I'm not sure what point amount to book as a 'good' price.
Thanks

Did anyone book with points recently? I am wondering what is now a 'deal'. We last went in 2019 and I snapped up a roomette once it was 15 thousand-ish points. Got the return for 12000+! Now it's all so much more so I'm not sure what point amount to book as a 'good' price.
Thanks
If you have 2 adults in the roomette, 12,000 points is a good price you won't see too often. We booked 3 kids in a roomette for about 16,000 points in the last year. We can often get a bedroom for 18-20,000 points for 2 adults and a child. It helps to be flexible on your dates and watch them like a hawk. It used to be cheapest to book 11 months out but I booked 3 trips on the auto train in the last year and that was never the case.

Glad I finally found this again. The link on the transportation page was broken.

I believe they are still not seating in the dining cars for meals, dinner is served in your room.
We traveled in October 2021 and had a choice of dining car or room service. So in reading this thread, it looks like it went back to all room service.

My questions was going to be, since they changed the departure time, I wondered what the dining times are now. I may ask again closer to our departure from Lorton in mid-August.

Is there a single attendant at your car that you just like tip for the whole trip or no?
Yes, a single attendant we tip on the way off.

Also, we found the food inedible.
We've eaten on the train several times and found it to be ok. The desserts can be quite good.

Another couple of questions about the dining room.

We are a couple. Will they seat us with another couple we don't know? Didn't mind pre-COVID but wouldn't like now.

Did they put up any kind of barrier between the tables? Like plexiglass.

Another couple of questions about the dining room.

We are a couple. Will they seat us with another couple we don't know? Didn't mind pre-COVID but wouldn't like now.

Did they put up any kind of barrier between the tables? Like plexiglass.
Currently as of last month (and before, but I was on it last month on the 25th) they are not seating meals. If you are in a Roomette or Bedroom, the Attendant takes your order and brings it to you at the picked times, which was super soon at like 530, 730 (I prefer), and later I think too(but not sure on that ).There is no dinner anymore for Coach, but there is a Car that sells food.
For Breakfast, they box up and give you it, which you go get from them yourself if you are Roomette or Bedroom.
You are welcome to sit in the Lounge car or the next empty car with tables as you want, however. Those do not have glass barriers, but they’re also not full.
We ate in our rooms, but used the lounge car for our card games and drinks as usual.

Last edited:
It's me again. We board our roomette in 6 days. I just wondered if anyone has been on recently and could tell me if they have reopened the dining car.

When you check in, you pick a time for dinner to be delivered, with choices 5:30, 6:30 and 7:30.
Are these still the times for room service dinner.

Thanks for any info you can give.

It's me again. We board our roomette in 6 days. I just wondered if anyone has been on recently and could tell me if they have reopened the dining car.

Are these still the times for room service dinner.

Thanks for any info you can give.
We just got off the train in Lorton this morning, completing our round trip journey. The dinner times for the sleeper car dining room were 5, 7 and 9 last night.

We just got off the train in Lorton this morning, completing our round trip journey. The dinner times for the sleeper car dining room were 5, 7 and 9 last night.
Thank you! And that was actually in the dining car? Is room service still an option?

Thank you! And that was actually in the dining car? Is room service still an option?
Yes, those were the dining times in the sleeper lounge dining car. On our southbound trip in late July the dining times were a bit different (5:30, 6:30 & 7:30) and we were told in-room dining was not an option. I am disabled and have issues with my balance, moving around the train while it is in motion is a challenge and I wind up getting slammed from side to side against the walls/windows and get dizzy. We asked for in-room dining when we checked in and we were told it was up to our attendant, that their policy for that particular trip was no in-room dining. We received some pushback when we asked our attendant but he eventually let us have it - we don't need the accessible room as we are fine in a bedroom and have never noted my disability on my reservation. Our room attendant seemed skeptical that I was disabled which was annoying.

For our trip from Sanford to Lorton on August 11th/12th they allowed the in-room dining because of my disability at check-in and the only time they offered us was 9pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter