• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All about the Autotrain

Does anyone know is the train gets chilly at night?

Our past round trip (7/14 south & 7/25 north) we had a bedroom & were warm when we first boarded the train in both Lorton & Sanford. We closed the door to the bedroom & started to feel the ac. By 8:00 pm we were comfortable in our bedroom. Enjoy your trip!! :)

All checked in!! Now we wait!! Eating at Pane&Vino. It's really good and they have lunch specials

We are on board as well. Train got rolling just before 4. 39 cars, 15 passenger/24 auto. Dinner seatings 5,7,and 9.

First time aboard.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Does anyone know is the train gets chilly at night?

We have never been cold. We've been warm and we've been comfortable, but never cold. We bring our own travel blankets and do use them for part of the night, but in a room, I usually sleep on top of the covers.

Live Update!! Since Sleeping is a chore. Ride wasn't bad at all overnight. I did notice when I went slower and stopped. I guess I got used to the gently hums of the train.. Lol.. A few more hours then fingers crossed to get my car quick. Then to shower!! Can't wait!! Will update after I try the breakfast.

Live Update!! Since Sleeping is a chore. Ride wasn't bad at all overnight. I did notice when I went slower and stopped. I guess I got used to the gently hums of the train.. Lol.. A few more hours then fingers crossed to get my car quick. Then to shower!! Can't wait!! Will update after I try the breakfast.

Enjoy your vacation!!

Quick question: do all seats face the same direction, or are there some that face each other.? We will be 3 adults, a preschooler, and an infant. 4 seats facing each other would be perfect.

I believe all rows are 2 seats. Should I get two behind each other or across the row?

Can anyone link to carry on requirements? I'd like to package up pillows and blankets in duffle, but not sure if they count as carry on.

Quick question: do all seats face the same direction, or are there some that face each other.? We will be 3 adults, a preschooler, and an infant. 4 seats facing each other would be perfect.

I believe all rows are 2 seats. Should I get two behind each other or across the row?

Can anyone link to carry on requirements? I'd like to package up pillows and blankets in duffle, but not sure if they count as carry on.

Seats in coach all face one direction, forward. Seats in sleepers face both directions, roomettes-one faces forward, one backward. Bedroom depends on which sleeper you get as to which direction sofa faces and there's one seat facing the opposite in there too. Don't know about family bedroom as we've never been in one.

Seating is 2 by 2.

You can take as much as you can carry on. Website says 2 carryon's per person, but I have seen people with more. There isn't really room to store large bags, but a small roller bag fits easily overhead. I always take two full size pillows and travel blankets and a DH and I each carry one bag each (gym size or backpack). And that's for coach or sleeper.

Sitting here on the northbound train that hasn't left the Sanford station. It's almost 450pm. They are switching out a car due to AC issues. They have advised that dinner seatings will b running late but we should get into Lorton on time.....we will see.

It is a full train. 4 dinner seatings for sleepers and 3 for coach.

Sitting here on the northbound train that hasn't left the Sanford station. It's almost 450pm. They are switching out a car due to AC issues. They have advised that dinner seatings will b running late but we should get into Lorton on time.....we will see. It is a full train. 4 dinner seatings for sleepers and 3 for coach.

So what happened? Hope you are soon pulling into Lorton.

Sitting here on the northbound train that hasn't left the Sanford station. It's almost 450pm. They are switching out a car due to AC issues. They have advised that dinner seatings will b running late but we should get into Lorton on time.....we will see.

It is a full train. 4 dinner seatings for sleepers and 3 for coach.

I just checked the status. Scheduled to arrive at 12:17 pm today (2 hr 47 min late) so yeah, not so much on time. Anyone traveling today should have received a text telling them when to arrive since they can't accept cars until all the ones coming off are offloaded. I wonder how long til they're back on schedule. I doubt they'll leave today at 4, but possibly by 5 depending on how many people and cars are traveling today. We have never left late, although we have had a delay due to an engine issue once but we were still almost on time even after sitting just outside Lorton for a bit. We have arrived late once to see cars lined up waiting to get in.

Sorry to leave you hanging! We didn't leave the Sanford station till after 6pm. First coach dinner seating was pushed back till 730pm. We never made up time overnight. We are 20 mins from Lorton now. We made up a little time since 7 am. They ran a movie at 9 am in the lounge car. I caught up on my sleep after breakfast.

I just checked the status. Scheduled to arrive at 12:17 pm today (2 hr 47 min late) so yeah, not so much on time. Anyone traveling today should have received a text telling them when to arrive since they can't accept cars until all the ones coming off are offloaded. I wonder how long til they're back on schedule. I doubt they'll leave today at 4, but possibly by 5 depending on how many people and cars are traveling today. We have never left late, although we have had a delay due to an engine issue once but we were still almost on time even after sitting just outside Lorton for a bit. We have arrived late once to see cars lined up waiting to get in.

Thanks!

Sorry to leave you hanging! We didn't leave the Sanford station till after 6pm. First coach dinner seating was pushed back till 730pm. We never made up time overnight. We are 20 mins from Lorton now. We made up a little time since 7 am. They ran a movie at 9 am in the lounge car. I caught up on my sleep after breakfast.

Thanks! We had planned to drive but did check prices for this train, jic. FYI, we are in NC...6 hrs more to drive.

Hope the rest goes smoothly.

Amtrak website now says 3 hours late, so if you're 20 minutes from Lorton, then not sure what's up with that.

Well we are now 45 minutes out from Lorton. Some reason I thought we were 20mind out when we last posted. I thought the head guy said we would arrive at 1016...guess I heard wrong. We are just going thru Fredrickberg.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter