• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All about the Autotrain

Yes, I saw that too.

Actually, I just went in and did the status link you provided and went back as far as the calendar would allow. Only a weeks worth, but still a good indication of how things have been running. One bad day where train was almost 4 hours late. Hoping ours won't be like that, but either way we'll make it work.

First time DS flew, to college, the flight was delayed 5 hours. I know how so many complain about the AT and how much better it is to fly, but delays can happen anywhere.

Well I can't complain. It's always left on time when we went, and once we arrived in Sanford 15 min. Before that station even opened and waited for that. ( 8 am I think)

Just returned so I thought I would give an update on our trip, though this thread does seem to get lost on this site, so don't know how many see it if not specifically looking for it. But here goes.

We left on Friday, May 13th and most of the previous week, the train seemed to be running close to time except for the one day. So odds were in our favor.

We arrived and could not enter the station as the train from Lorton was close to 2 hours late. But, wow, did they turn things around quickly and we left by around 4:10pm. Unfortunately, the train seemed to be going rather slow and finally just topped around 8pm. Later found out it was due to replacing a bad engine. Not too long a delay about 35 minutes and we were on our way. Then around 4:15am it stopped again, rather abruptly, felt almost like we had hit something. This time it was about an hour and a half before we were on our way. Next morning were told the replacement engine blew and they had to remove it. We then travelled on one and a half engines(?). Needless to say we arrived almost 3 hours late.

The train was full, which we have never encountered before, so I would say mid May is definitely a peak time for North bound trains. There were close to 500 passengers and around 242 vehicles. I spoke w/ a few snowbirds and they said most start heading home late April into May, though most are usually gone by the end of May. If we ever used train again at this time of year I would book way early and get rooms, or just not travel via the AT.

As there were only 3 of us, I got to sit w/ a stranger. Very nice guy and we made it work, but it does make sleeping in coach very uncomfortable trying to respect each others limited space. Last time, we went non peak season south and were able to spread out and all have the entire seats to ourselves, and were able to sleep much better. We arrived in Lorton very hungry and very tired w/ a 5 hour drive home.

The only alternative would have been to drive home from Florida and since I already driven to FL from PA via AL, I had no desire to do that, so glad to have the AutoTrain as an option. We just didn't enjoy it as we have in the past.

I've been meaning to post this picture I took of the train car numbers:
Autotrain Car Numbers.jpg
This is the order for the northbound train. Can anybody who's done the AT more than me (once) confirm or correct if this is the usual set-up?

Just switched our family bedroom to a superliner bedroom since we have decided to stay at Disney for a couple of extra nights. Hoping we made a good decision! :)

Give a report on how it's doing. We went in Jan/Feb-2016. It was 1-2 hours late each way, but other than that, pretty good. We were overall very happy and if possible would use it again if we go back to Disney.

I will report back. This year we are spending the night in VA before we leave for the train. We used to leave at 4:00am and drive down from NJ. I'm excited to have the free wifi.

I will report back. This year we are spending the night in VA before we leave for the train. We used to leave at 4:00am and drive down from NJ. I'm excited to have the free wifi.

We were thinking about doing the same thing. We usually leave CT at 4am and still hit traffic in NY. Our trip is the last week of August in a roomette.

We warned that the wifi is not that good. It was okay for email and some light browsing, but I found it very slow and it would lose connection periodically. Still, much better than nothing as your phone will likely struggle in some of the areas.

We normally don't hit traffic but are happy to be there the night before unlike in the past. We like to hang at Potomac mills mall beforehand re we board the train. 3rd week in August also in a Roomette for us.

We were thinking about doing the same thing. We usually leave CT at 4am and still hit traffic in NY. Our trip is the last week of August in a roomette.

From Mass. we usually don't mind the ride down, leaving early, however the ride home is always bad, esp. when we hit CT and 84. CT takes us way too long, as there is nothing you can do about the timing and is usually 4 or 5 pm when we hit it.

Has anyone had any luck subbing an adult entree for the kid entree? DS hated the frozen cheese pizza last time and would much prefer to order something off the adult menu.

TIA!

Has anyone had any luck subbing an adult entree for the kid entree? DS hated the frozen cheese pizza last time and would much prefer to order something off the adult menu.

TIA!
Yes, they did it no problem each time we were on the train (the past 4 years).

We are in line to check in right now at Sanford. Train was 2 hours late getting in. A tip that works wonders is to park, check in inside the station and get dinner and boarding passes, and then drive out again for lunch and come back at 1:30 or 2. We did that both ways this trip.

We are in line to check in right now at Sanford. Train was 2 hours late getting in. A tip that works wonders is to park, check in inside the station and get dinner and boarding passes, and then drive out again for lunch and come back at 1:30 or 2. We did that both ways this trip.

Thank you for the tip. That was actually one of the questions that I had. We will be driving down from Pittsburgh, PA that morning that we leave for our first Autotrain trip. I was wondering if my husband should just drop me & the kids off at the station and then get in line to drop off the car. It sounds like he should. It probably doesn't make sense for all of us to wait to load the vehicle. Would I be able to get my husband's dinner and boarding pass or does he need to be with me? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter