• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alesund, Norway The Frozen Excursion

sweetlovin

Mouseketeer
I am not typing out a trip report because I was on the ship from May 15th for the EBTA through June 13th for Baltic and Norway cruise. I did want to let others who are thinking about or wondering about the Frozen excursion in Alesund to have a look and at least one opinion of the excursion.

This excursion was one of the most expensive ones I have been on to date (excluding dog-sledding in Alaska) $350 per person whether adult or child. So I went in hoping it lived up to the cost. The summer village was rented out and almost everyone there was a volunteer. As soon as we got off the bus, we were greeted with horns from volunteers welcoming us to the village. We first went on a little tour, explaining how people were living back in the 1700s in Norway. Let me say, the village had the most breathtaking views and backdrops of the mountains. It was truly beautiful. There was an option to play horseshoes, see a traditional school from the 1700s, and see how barns were set up.

As we moved along, games and activities were plentiful. The bride and groom were out wearing traditional Norwegian headwear. There were places set up to learn how to make Norwegian pancakes, traditional purses from the 1700s, walking on stilts, tug a war, and kitchens set up to make Norwegian bread. Horse carriage rides were offered, a school room to test your knowledge of Norway's culture, knot tying, and a house to walk through and see what a typical house would look like. There was even a reindeer to pet and play with, by far my absolute favorite part of the entire excursion.

Here is the biggest complaint about the whole excursion. Anna, Elsa, and Kristoff arrived in a carriage. They announced that they would now stay and let people get pictures with them. Some people stood in line for over an hour, just to get a picture, then the characters were gone. I will say, they did help kids by learning a traditional Norwegian dance and a small ensemble of instruments that played as people were waiting. I was lucky as I only waited 15 to 25 minutes, but there were definitely people paying a lot of money just to stand in line for a picture with the characters.

If you are going, just for Anna and Elsa, you will be highly disappointed. If your child loves to bake, play, crafts, and Anna and Elsa are just a side note, you will have a decent time. I was surprised by the amount of activities there were, but again, the characters were only there to take a picture with and then they were gone. My suggestion would be to skip it unless your child really has their heart set on going. After asking and talking to people that night, Path of the Trolls was an excursion everyone that went loved! I would suggest looking into that and saving some money.

Here is a video I put together to give everyone an idea of what to expect.
WATCH HERE:

Great video! What a neat idea.

I really felt like the best part of this excursion was the balance between locals and cruisers. We saw the reindeer and did the carriage ride too, but missed the dancing. At one point my son made friends with a couple of little local kids and ran off, so we didn't stay in the middle of the action.

People waited over an hour??? Omg! We were late getting in line and waited 15-20 minutes. One thing that really bothered me was that they put us ahead of the local kids. Many of them missed the chance to meet the characters entirely. I thought this was sad; really Disney should have left enough time for everyone, locals included, to meet them. Did it not occur to them what a great photo op it would be to put the locals in their dress with the characters? They looked straight out of Arendale. They need to make this excursion longer, like starting at noon instead of 2.

But this is nitpicking, and from our perspective, I was glad that I did this with my son.

I agree that they should have had a separate meet and greet for the kids that were volunteers. I thought that wasn't very nice as well. Those kids showed up and participated, so they should have been given an opportunity. Then again, we paid $350 per person..so it should have been a separate place for those kids to go and get pictures with the characters. My 10yo didn't want to bake, which seemed to be a huge deal, if you were into that. They were handing out the recipes for all the baked goods. I'm glad I went with my child as well, because she liked it. I still recommend saving money if you are only there to see Anna and Elsa. I thought they should have done a lot more to incorporate the characters into the excursion. Not have them drive up and stand for photos and leave. I can honestly say, I wouldn't do it a 2nd time. Once is plenty.

There are excursions, especially on the Baltic, that we did and would love to have another go. In fact, my daughter didn't want to get off the ship June 13th because it was headed back to the Baltic. She wanted to head to Tallinn and Helsinki again.

Great video! Are you going to be posting more like this?

I did post one on St Petersburg, Russia from the May 30th, 2015 cruise. You can find it here:

I went with Anastasia Tours and they were willing to work with me on finding doll painting classes and the guide found and helped order McDonalds for our kids. We had a private canal tour, which we loved. I have more for the first Norway cruise I could post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter