• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aldi?

I've been shopping at Aldi for 20+ years. As others have said it's not a one stop shop. I find their meat prices to be higher than our local stores. Their prices on snack foods can't be beat. And their owl brand of wine is so good. I usually pick up a few bottles of Moscato for less than $4 a bottle and it's good. Their produce has defintely improved over the years which makes me happy. They have a nicefancy cheese selection and once again it's very cheap. I usually hit Aldi and then head to Meijers to finish up my shopping.

The biggest pro for me is the size of the store, i love how i can jump in and out.
The cashiers are timed on scanning so they are super fast.
We save s lot of money there.

I dont like there mama cuzis ( may be mispelled) pizza products.

Instacart delivers Aldi

Aldi quarter hack.
If you dont have a quarter your house key will fit in the slot to release the basket. Just tell them you are keeping your basket at the register.
(Key fits the hole side in)

I had never shopped in Aldi... so I was quite skeptical... We went to a house warming and the hostess told me most of the items came from Aldi... and everything was really good...

So I made a stop and picked up a few things... and Wow everything was really good... so the next time more and next time even more...

I now shop there every other week... So far the only thing that we haven't like is there store brand of potato chips... Yuck...

They have the best selection of nuts, and dried fruit you can make your own mixes super easily...

The Winking Owl wine... is pretty dang good... I have served it several times, and everyone really likes it..

Produce - super fresh, and great prices.... the only thing is the banana's they just don't ever really get ripe... and they are very bruised...

I stock my pantry full, sugar, flour, brown sugar, cooking sprays, bread crumbs, veggie oil and olive oil, pasta, stock,

As far as can goods, I really haven't tried that much... I can say that the black beans, white beans, and diced tomatoes are all good...

The boxed goods like mac and cheese, or stuffing are good as well... pretty much just like Kraft or Stove Top just a lot less money.. and I really think that there is more product in the boxes as well...

As far a Milk, cheese, butter, sour cream its all very good... I like the Greek yogurt...

Fresh meat, The chicken can't be beat for flavor, freshness, and price... they have really good pork chops, too... we also like the fresh maple sausage links,

I like the frozen cod... it's individual packaged... and it very easy and is just like what you would buy at Sam, or Publix... just alot cheaper...

They have seasonal items... I always check out what they have... and have picked several things...

Last edited:

I had never shopped in Aldi... so I was quite skeptical... We went to a house warming and the hostess told me most of the items came from Aldi... and everything was really good...

So I made a stop and picked up a few things... and Wow everything was really good... so the next time more and next time even more...

I now shop there every other week... So far the only thing that we haven't like is there store brand of potato chips... Yuck...

They have the best selection of nuts, and dried fruit you can make your own mixes super easily...

The Winking Owl wine... is pretty dang good... I have served it several times, and everyone really likes it..

Produce - super fresh, and great prices.... the only thing is the banana's they just don't ever really get ripe... and they are very bruised...

I stock my pantry full, sugar, flour, brown sugar, cooking sprays, bread crumbs, veggie oil and olive oil, pasta, stock,

As far as can goods, I really haven't tried that much... I can say that the black beans, white beans, and diced tomatoes are all good...

The boxed goods like mac and cheese, or stuffing are good as well... pretty much just like Kraft or Stove Top just a lot less money.. and I really think that there is more product in the boxes as well...

As far a Milk, cheese, butter, sour cream its all very good... I like the Greek yogurt...

Fresh meat, The chicken can't be beat for flavor, freshness, and price... they have really good pork chops, too... we also like the fresh maple sausage links,

I like the frozen cod... it's individual packaged... and it very easy and is just like what you would buy at Sam, or Publix... just alot cheaper...

They have seasonal items... I always check out what they have... and have picked several things...

I posted this earlier... - I had a couple more thoughts...

They carry things like soft Irish butter in a small container, and I have gotten French butter a time or two as well...
They offer things like prosciutto, and other cured meats, some cured meats wrapped with mozzarella, as well as fresh mozzarella, lots and lots of cheese options, blocks, sliced, cheese balls, shredded Parmesan cheese fresh.... They have fresh humus, salsa and guacamole... all this a very affordable price's...So much so that I pick up this kinda deli stuff much more often...

I also love the cracker assortment...You can pick up a box of fancy company crackers with 6 different types for like 3.00 or 4.00 bucks, and its a really good size box...

I have two Aldi's within a 10 to 15 minute drive... and both of them carry different things... so depending on where I am at, I always like to run in a check out what they have...

I figured out that I am saving around 300.00 dollars a month by shopping at Aldi 2 or 3 times a month... I still shop at Publix, Wal-mart , and BJ warehouse... for certain other things...

I am so sad to see this thread! We used to live 5 minutes from an Aldi in Indiana and we loved shopping there. We'd do the bulk of our shopping there and then go over to Meijer and finish off the list if we needed to. Sadly now in California we do not have Aldi or Meijer! You'd be surprised at what you can find at Aldi. We used to get Brioche buns there that were delicious and cheap!

My family loves Aldi's. Some of our favorites:

- Bread: sourdough, mini-croissants, brioche buns
- Wine: we bought the wine for our daughter's wedding at Aldi's
- Snacks: chips, nuts, cookies, single-serve ice cream snacks
- Dairy products: milk, yogurt, butter
- Cheese: excellent selection and low prices ... and crackers
- Sandwich meat
- Chicken is often a good price, but we rarely buy other meats

However, we have been exceedingly disappointed in their pizzas -- both the deli-type pizzas and the frozen stuff. The name brand Mama Celeste should be avoided.

Hints:
- I always keep a quarter in my car console so I'll be able to get a cart at Aldi's.
- I always keep reusable grocery bags in my trunk. I actually like bagging my own groceries because it means they're put away carefully.
- If you see something you want in what we call the "Aisle of Shame" -- that is, household goods that you didn't know you needed until you see them -- buy it right away. They turn over fast!

My family loves Aldi's. Some of our favorites:

- Bread: sourdough, mini-croissants, brioche buns
- Wine: we bought the wine for our daughter's wedding at Aldi's
- Snacks: chips, nuts, cookies, single-serve ice cream snacks
- Dairy products: milk, yogurt, butter
- Cheese: excellent selection and low prices ... and crackers
- Sandwich meat
- Chicken is often a good price, but we rarely buy other meats

However, we have been exceedingly disappointed in their pizzas -- both the deli-type pizzas and the frozen stuff. The name brand Mama Celeste should be avoided.

Hints:
- I always keep a quarter in my car console so I'll be able to get a cart at Aldi's.
- I always keep reusable grocery bags in my trunk. I actually like bagging my own groceries because it means they're put away carefully.
- If you see something you want in what we call the "Aisle of Shame" -- that is, household goods that you didn't know you needed until you see them -- buy it right away. They turn over fast!

I believe the name brand is "Mama Cozzi". And I agree with you--I find their pizza sauce to be so spicy, it drowns out any other flavor that's supposed to be there. Maybe I wouldn't notice if I liked pepperoni, but I don't.

I have had good luck with their fresh ground beef, pork chops, and sausage. I've also gotten ham for a good price, but they don't always have it. I haven't tried any of their more special meats, like their frozen lamb or buffalo. This week, because of Valentine's Day, they have specialty chocolates and frozen lobster/lobster tails.

Most produce, dairy, and non perishable foods I have found to be the cheapest. German chocolates, cookies, crackers, potato chips, etc are awesomely cheap. Meat and frozen foods I can get as cheap or cheaper elsewhere. SKIP the aisle with seasonal special buys. Maybe 1-2 item in the whole aisle is a deal, while the rest are ripoffs you can get cheaper elsewhere. Avoid furniture, gardening supplies, seasonal foods, toys, etc in that aisle don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Bring a quarter to borrow a shopping cart, then return the cart to get your quarter back. Bring lots of grocery store bags because they aren’t free at Aldi.

We like their potato salad. Also when they have their chuck roast on sale I try to buy one because my husband thinks they are better than Kroger’s. They often have good prices on eggs and milk. We also like their household items. I buy their water pitcher filters. They are not Brita brand but they fit my brita pitcher and are way cheaper.

I've found it depends on where you live,and grocery prices in general in each area.... in the midwest,where my fam lives, they have a LOT of cheap grocery places to choose from. Where I live (Northeast) it's much more expensive,and we have less choice. I do almost ALL my shopping at Aldi. I love the small size and convenience of each store- I buy mostly organic and gluten free items and their prices mean that I can get what I need without worrying about sales or coupons. There are very few things I don't like from Aldi (I don't like thier gf sandwich bread,I get that elsewhere) but things like OG sprouted grain bread,or OG greek yogurt or eggs or almond milk.... best prices around!

Question for those of you getting their salmon- you are getting the fresh not frozen right?
I was there yesterday and noticed they had some pre-marinated fillets. There were only 2 left so I was going to go back during the week to see if they got more in.

I've found it depends on where you live,and grocery prices in general in each area.... in the midwest,where my fam lives, they have a LOT of cheap grocery places to choose from. Where I live (Northeast) it's much more expensive,and we have less choice.
I am from MA and the area I live in we have 2 Stop + Shop's, Wegmans, Whole Foods, small Trader Joe's and Walmart and Target that have small grocery sections but not a full supermarket type store. A discount store like Aldi would do well I think.

I am a self-professed grocery store snob. I only shop at Festival Foods, which is a chain in WI. I can't stand Aldi because it feels like a junk store to me. Everything about it feels cheap...the shelving, the floor, the tacky presentation of product, haphazard placement, the ever-changing merchandise, the check outs, the cheap linoleum shelf across the front,etc.

Conversely, I love Trader Joe's and wish it was closer than 2 hours away!
I live in Chicago and spend a decent amount of time in WI.....I love Festival Foods! like LOVE IT!!!!! So much in fact that my son is picking colleges two of his choices are in WI, and Festival Foods is a "pro" on my pro/con list. One school has Festival less than a mile way.

I live in Chicago and spend a decent amount of time in WI.....I love Festival Foods! like LOVE IT!!!!! So much in fact that my son is picking colleges two of his choices are in WI, and Festival Foods is a "pro" on my pro/con list. One school has Festival less than a mile way.
Then you're one of the few people who knows exactly why I don't like Aldi. LOL There is no comparison between the two!

Question for those of you getting their salmon- you are getting the fresh not frozen right?
I was there yesterday and noticed they had some pre-marinated fillets. There were only 2 left so I was going to go back during the week to see if they got more in.

I get the fresh, the large side/piece (I'm not exactly sure what that cut is called... you get it) and then when I get home I cut it into multiple filets and date and freeze them.

I personally do not like Aldi. I find many of their items to be just as expensive as WalMart and I do not like going to a bunch of different stores. Our Aldi is small and has very limited selections

Aldi (USA) use to be extremely cheap, but its selection was limited. For example, in 2008, it offered two varieties of bread - white, sold at just a dime per loaf, and wheat, sold at just a quarter per loaf. Today, there's over a dozen varieties of bread, and prices are slightly less (sometimes slightly more) than Walmart. Produce is another example -- in 2008, there was a handful of local, in-season offerings (as well as staples including apples and bananas) that were cheap. Today, there's a huge variety, including organics, and prices are higher.

Aldi limits its loss leaders to milk, eggs and select produce items. You won't find Coke or beer on sale here. Most of its non-perishable items are priced slightly less than Walmart, but many of its perishable can be higher. If you shop sales, stock up, and use digital coupons at your local traditional grocery store, you will save more in the long run than you would at Aldi. Another thing to consider is that the quality of Aldi's meat and produce can be very disappointing. Thankfully, it offers a great replacement policy, but some staff is ignorant.

Trader Joe’s is the parent company of Aldi.

A popular misconception. Years ago, the brothers that founded Aldi split the company in half; the two separate companies continue to operate today. One of those companies expanded "Aldi" into the USA. The other acquired Trader Joes.

Aldi (USA) use to be extremely cheap, but its selection was limited. For example, in 2008, it offered two varieties of bread - white, sold at just a dime per loaf, and wheat, sold at just a quarter per loaf. Today, there's over a dozen varieties of bread, and prices are slightly less (sometimes slightly more) than Walmart. Produce is another example -- in 2008, there was a handful of local, in-season offerings (as well as staples including apples and bananas) that were cheap. Today, there's a huge variety, including organics, and prices are higher.

Aldi limits its loss leaders to milk, eggs and select produce items. You won't find Coke or beer on sale here. Most of its non-perishable items are priced slightly less than Walmart, but many of its perishable can be higher. If you shop sales, stock up, and use digital coupons at your local traditional grocery store, you will save more in the long run than you would at Aldi. Another thing to consider is that the quality of Aldi's meat and produce can be very disappointing. Thankfully, it offers a great replacement policy, but some staff is ignorant.

A popular misconception. Years ago, the brothers that founded Aldi split the company in half; the two separate companies continue to operate today. One of those companies expanded "Aldi" into the USA. The other acquired Trader Joes.

I disagree with you on prices being better at a regular store using sales and coupons. This may well be regional, but I haven't found it to be the case at all. I also haven't found the meat or produce to be of lesser quality than a typical grocery store, although the selection is more limited.

I agree that anyone who hasn't visited an Aldi's in a few years might be surprised at the range of offerings now. The number of products that I'll purchase at an Aldi's has increased greatly--10 years ago, I would avoid their produce, canned soup, and there was no such thing as fresh meat beyond heavily processed (and still questionable) items such as bacon or lunch meat. These days, you can get ciabatta rolls, organic bananas, pre-packaged salads, and Greek yogurt. They've vastly expanded their fresher, healthier items. OTOH, their frozen prepared foods are just as crappy and expensive as any other store (think chicken strips and the like). We do like their parmesan chicken tenders--we use them to make a quickie chicken parmesan (putting on sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese and cooking an extra 5 minutes). It's not super healthy, but it's a crowd-pleaser in my house, and really easy.

That is true. Especially if you are looking at prepared packaged items (hummus, for example...or riced cauliflower...or macaroni salad). The non-perishables (salt/flour/sugar/oil/broth/canned produce) are the cheapest...but I can easily beat perishable prepared foods at my Safeway.

As for produce, my Hmart definitely leads in best priced and best quality produce; however, they can have some one-off odd prices (when celery was $5 each all fall, yeah, I didn't buy celery there). Whereas, my Aldi almost always runs out of loss leader produce, and when they have it, it's not as nice as HMart's or even Safeway's. So, when my husband has his "post gym" Aldi's run, I'll throw on produce loss leaders, and he'll bring home about a 1/3 of them (either b/c they are out or they look awful - our problem is bananas will be way overripe, so he'll leave them b/c my kids eat underripe to just ripe, so I never buy them when they are always almost all brown:)...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter