• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alcohol Tastings on the Magic

pezgirlroy

DIS Veteran
I just learned the options for the tastings on our cruise and I am really debating. We did Mixology and Champagne on the Fantasy and loved them both. I know Mixology is different on the Magic. If you could only choose one which of these would you pick: Rum, Mixology, Wine, Tequila or Chocolate/Liquor. Thank you as always.

I just learned the options for the tastings on our cruise and I am really debating. We did Mixology and Champagne on the Fantasy and loved them both. I know Mixology is different on the Magic. If you could only choose one which of these would you pick: Rum, Mixology, Wine, Tequila or Chocolate/Liquor. Thank you as always.

I have found mixology to be fun on all the ships. You did not mention it, but I have also enjoyed the Mojito and Caipirinha tasting. It is often offered on Castaway Cay, so a different experience than in one of the ship's bars.

What is people's experience with Tequila/Margarita? It is the one offered in advance that I can definitely make work on my upcoming Wonder cruise (I would still love to do Champagne, but that is 2pm on Embarkation day, and I don't know if I will be there in time coming from WDW on DCL transfers (solo and do not drive, so it isn't the most economical)).

What is people's experience with Tequila/Margarita? It is the one offered in advance that I can definitely make work on my upcoming Wonder cruise (I would still love to do Champagne, but that is 2pm on Embarkation day, and I don't know if I will be there in time coming from WDW on DCL transfers (solo and do not drive, so it isn't the most economical)).

They serve some good tequila at that tasting!

We enjoyed the wine tastings on Fantasy and Magic but like the Sommlier on the Fantasy a bit better, he was really entertaining, good host.

I had a great time doing the Mojito tasting on the Magic this summer--you make part of the drinks yourself. The glasses already have the lime/mint/sweetener (sugar or sugar syrup or fruit puree.) You muddle the lime/mint/sweetener together. Taste the alcohol, then add it to your glass, stir. Then add club soda if the drink is supposed to have it.

I really want to do the Chocolate and Liquor tasting someday!

As far as times--The rum/cognac/whiskey ones seemed to be around 10:30PM. Wine/mixology/mojito in the afternoon. Not sure about champagne or tequila.

I had a great time doing the Mojito tasting on the Magic this summer--you make part of the drinks yourself. The glasses already have the lime/mint/sweetener (sugar or sugar syrup or fruit puree.) You muddle the lime/mint/sweetener together. Taste the alcohol, then add it to your glass, stir. Then add club soda if the drink is supposed to have it.

I really want to do the Chocolate and Liquor tasting someday!

As far as times--The rum/cognac/whiskey ones seemed to be around 10:30PM. Wine/mixology/mojito in the afternoon. Not sure about champagne or tequila.
Thanks. I actually have all of the times and dates. It is for an April cruise and we are concierge so I sent an email to ask so I can prepare to send my email on Saturday. :) I am a bit surprised that the Champagne tasting is at 2 on the first day before the muster drill. The rum/cognac/whisky are all at 10:30. The Chocolate/Liquor is at 12:15 and then Mixology is at 2 on one day. That is too much in one day. :)

I've never been to Mixology, but many have reported enjoying it. I did Champagne and it was OK. Really liked the Tequila tasting. Had two Margaritas and three small shots. Well, 6 because two people didn't show up and they had pre poured their shots. :cool1:

If you could only choose one which of these would you pick: Rum, Mixology, Wine, Tequila or Chocolate/Liquor.

We've done all of these (some twice) except Rum and they were all good but the chocolate/liquor was amazing. We had: champagne/white chocolate, cabernet sauvignon/milk chocolate, port/parmigiano-reggiano, whiskey/dark chocolate.

What is people's experience with Tequila/Margarita?

I've done the tequila twice. We now regularly drink (good) tequila and I would never have done so without doing this tasting. Really opened my eyes up to: (a) what is tequila versus mezcal; and (b) what makes a good tequila.

Has anyone done the Rum or Cognac?

We have unfortunately done the cognac. I say unfortunately because now I have good cognac always in the house and it's not inexpensive. Never liked it before the tasting but that was largely because I wasn't drinking the right stuff. I'm hoping to one day go to the high-end cognac tasting which was offered a bit later on the same cruise but conflicted with our schedule. Or maybe that's not a good idea. If what I'm buying now is not high-end cognac, I may never recover financially after doing that particular tasting!

Loved the chocolate and liquor. Champagne was good, too, but I'd pick the chocolate over the champagne. My parents have done mixology a couple times and find that one to be the most fun, even if they don't love all the drinks. They've also done cognac and mojito (on Castaway) and enjoyed them, but if they had to pick one, I think they'd prefer mixology because of the overall atmosphere.

We have done mixology on the Magic and Dream and loved both. we are looking to branch out on our next cruise so this info is great!

The Chocolate and Liquor class is awesome. Mixology on the Magic and Wonder isn't as hands on as it is on the Fantasy and Dream. There's not much mixing involved.

Out of the ones I've done, in order of preference:

1 - Chocolate and liquor
2 - Mixology
3 - Beer
4 - Wine
5 - Mojito and caipirinha

Chocolate and liquor is worth the higher price. Just be sure to wait and listen to what the instructor says! There were... certain people on my cruise that began devouring the chocolate the moment they sat down.

For me, hands down, no doubt about it --- Chocolate and liquor (There is cheese and wine in there also) is my all time favorite. The set up is so beautiful - I have pictures if I could find them and download them. I've done it probably 4 times. Mixology is always fun - but strangely different each time I have done it. Sometimes every one gets involved, other times just a few people are chosen. I did one that was tequila and margaritas - it was interesting and I love Tequila but I couldn't drink all of the tequila shots IIRC. I wouldn't do the rum or wine, but those aren't my favorite drinks so...

Another vote for the chocolate and liquor tasting - we do it as often as we can!

Aby

I've done the mixology on both the Magic and Dream and enjoyed it both times. It is different, on the Magic they will premake all the drinks so it isn't as involved. But we did mash up the leaves for a mojito and helped with a shot, but you can't go behind the bar. I like the Mixology class because you get a wide variety of liquors and is a fun time. I did a martini class also and wasn't really a fan of half the drinks so I wouldn't repeat that one. The chocolate and liquor one sounds great too! I tried to do that for my upcoming cruise but the times conflicted with other activities, can't really go wrong with chocolate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter