Alcohol and 19 year old

natb

Mouseketeer
We are going on a family cruise. The drinking age is 18 where we live so my 19 year old son is not impressed that he can't " legally" have drinks onboard. How strict are they? Will I be able to order him a drink?

We are going on a family cruise. The drinking age is 18 where we live so my 19 year old son is not impressed that he can't " legally" have drinks onboard. How strict are they? Will I be able to order him a drink?
Only if you want to be removed from the ship in the next port. DCL does not allow under 21 year olds to drink alcohol, except on the European cruises that begin and end in Europe.

It's illegal for them to serve alcohol to anyone under 21 onboard. If any of your ports allow under 21 alcohol sales (Mexico, for example), you can buy him a drink there, while off the ship.

They are strict. His room key will be coded so Cast Members know he is not of drinking age. If you provide him a drink then you are putting the CM serving you at risk and yourself at risk for breaking international laws. Of course maybe they won't catch you but if they do is it worth messing with your vacation? He can drink off the ship in ports of call that allow drinking at his age.

Just an FYI if it's important to you, on NCL parents can sign a waiver at the beginning of the cruise to allow 18-20 yro young adults to be served wine & beer, no liquor. Parents need NOT be present for them to be served. My boys both really enjoyed going out to clubs & having some beers.

You're allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine/champagne (750 ml or less) OR 1 six pack of beer (no more than 12 oz each) per adult 21 or older. If he drinks in the room there shouldn't be an issue, so I guess you could buy him a drink and let him have it in your room. Also your son will be able to drink in pretty much all the ports unless you're porting in Key West or Castaway Cay. Even though St. Thomas and Puerto Rico are part of the US, the drinking age is 18 in both territories.

You're allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine/champagne (750 ml or less) OR 1 six pack of beer (no more than 12 oz each) per adult 21 or older. If he drinks in the room there shouldn't be an issue, so I guess you could buy him a drink and let him have it in your room. Also your son will be able to drink in pretty much all the ports unless you're porting in Key West or Castaway Cay. Even though St. Thomas and Puerto Rico are part of the US, the drinking age is 18 in both territories.
Just curious why you need to be 21 to drink at Castaway Cay. Since it is part pf the Bahamas, should it have the same restrictions? Doesn't affect me personally, since my youngest it 27 and the oldest grandchild is only 7.

Just curious why you need to be 21 to drink at Castaway Cay. Since it is part pf the Bahamas, should it have the same restrictions? Doesn't affect me personally, since my youngest it 27 and the oldest grandchild is only 7.

I think it probly has to do with the island operations being an extension of the ship. So, if there was a Bahamian run bar like that little cropping of shops that are not Disney, that'd be the one that served according to Bahamian laws. Probably all part of the lease contract. Disney allows those few shops, employs a certain number from surrounding islands, etc. But they don't have a non-Disney run bar. Of course Disney will always err to the conservative side.

have done that with my son, bringing your own alcohol on board helps...

I'm son was 19 drinking age in Canada, my husband ordered 2 drinks at Castaway Cay , son was beside him. The bartender asked if he was so and so not even having his card ....and he said yes poured one drink out. Not sure how they knew . Wonder what they would have said if my husband would have said it was for me and he was taking it back, maybe I would have had to go get my own.

Like others said he drank in the ports and we took beer on board.

We were on the Magic in April and I actually could not believe how easy it was for the 19 year old I was with to drink on board! We used my card for all the purchases and she was right next to me while I ordered the 6 beer package and she'd instantly drink one. At one time she even took my card and went up to the bar herself.

By the 3rd night I figured they really didn't care who drank or not which is why I let her use my card.

We were on the Magic in April and I actually could not believe how easy it was for the 19 year old I was with to drink on board! We used my card for all the purchases and she was right next to me while I ordered the 6 beer package and she'd instantly drink one. At one time she even took my card and went up to the bar herself.

By the 3rd night I figured they really didn't care who drank or not which is why I let her use my card.
As noted, you were lucky. You could have been removed from the ship, at best. Or actually jailed for providing alcohol to a minor.

I would suggest you not boast about breaking the law on a public forum.

As noted, you were lucky. You could have been removed from the ship, at best. Or actually jailed for providing alcohol to a minor.

Unless they were in a US port at the time, it wouldn't be illegal nor would it be providing alcohol to a minor. Disney's policies on drinking age being 21 while in international waters are just that - policies.

The legal age for alcohol consumption in international waters is 18, so not illegal necessarily. It is against the cruise ship's policy, and they could have been ejected at the next port of call.

Unless they were in a US port at the time, it wouldn't be illegal nor would it be providing alcohol to a minor. Disney's policies on drinking age being 21 while in international waters are just that - policies.

The legal age for alcohol consumption in international waters is 18, so not illegal necessarily. It is against the cruise ship's policy, and they could have been ejected at the next port of call.

"Policy" or whatever, the DCL website says:
Q.What age must a Guest be to drink alcoholic beverages on the ship?
A.The drinking age on board is 21, and a valid photo I.D. is required.

However, during roundtrip cruises departing from any European country that has a lower drinking age, parents or guardians may sign a Beverage Consent Form that allows their 18- to 20-year-old children to consume alcoholic beverages while in the adult’s presence.

Please note:
  • All Guests must comply with all laws and Disney Cruise Line policies related to the consumption and distribution of alcohol. In particular, Guests are prohibited from providing alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age.
  • This policy is subject to change without notice.
  • Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to refuse sale and/or service of alcoholic beverages to anyone.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/dining-food-beverages/alcohol-policy-onboard/

I guess it depends on whether you want to play by the rules. Yes, Disney's rules, but rules nontheless.

It's illegal for them to serve alcohol to anyone under 21 onboard. If any of your ports allow under 21 alcohol sales (Mexico, for example), you can buy him a drink there, while off the ship.

"Policy" or whatever,

I guess it depends on whether you want to play by the rules. Yes, Disney's rules, but rules nontheless.

Why would you not be gracious enough to admit you were wrong saying it was illegal and you made a mistake? Trying to blow it off with a comment "Policy" or whatever is really unbecoming.

Why would you not be gracious enough to admit you were wrong saying it was illegal and you made a mistake? Trying to blow it off with a comment "Policy" or whatever is really unbecoming.

Well, technically on the ship their "policy" regarding alcohol and the consequences of being caught providing it to a minor IS their law. Their ship, their rules - and their consequences. If you don't like it, there may be other lines that allow US-based ships to serve to the under 21 crowd you can check out.

Well, technically on the ship their "policy" regarding alcohol and the consequences of being caught providing it to a minor IS their law. Their ship, their rules - and their consequences. If you don't like it, there may be other lines that allow US-based ships to serve to the under 21 crowd you can check out.
PrincessShmoo said they could be jailed for serving a minor. That is incorrect. And no, Disney policies are not laws.

Sorry I disagree. The line has the right to detain or eject anyone not following or complying with their policies, or breaking international laws.
The line cannot prosecute and convict or impose a fine on anyone for breaking their policies. If an international law is broken it would be up to a law enforcement agency to prosecute a passenger for breaking a law or doing something "illegal".

And before you or anyone says you can be fined for smoking in a cabin, no you can not. You can be CHARGED a fee for returning the cabin to a clean state again, but that is a civil matter, and the cruise line would have to take you to court for their money. It is not illegal to smoke in a cabin or balcony, it is against the lines policy.

"Policy" or whatever, the DCL website says:
Q.What age must a Guest be to drink alcoholic beverages on the ship?
A.The drinking age on board is 21, and a valid photo I.D. is required.

However, during roundtrip cruises departing from any European country that has a lower drinking age, parents or guardians may sign a Beverage Consent Form that allows their 18- to 20-year-old children to consume alcoholic beverages while in the adult’s presence.

Please note:
  • All Guests must comply with all laws and Disney Cruise Line policies related to the consumption and distribution of alcohol. In particular, Guests are prohibited from providing alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age.
  • This policy is subject to change without notice.
  • Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to refuse sale and/or service of alcoholic beverages to anyone.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/dining-food-beverages/alcohol-policy-onboard/

So how about those of us that live in states where we the parent can buy our child a drink in a bar, that is our expectation, why would we think any different? To be honest I thought that was the global law, it is all I have known for over 30 years.

If my kid had wanted a drink, she isn't interested which I think is a good thing, I wouldn't have thought twice about getting if for her, and based on how and where I grew up I wouldn't have thought I was doing anything wrong, or thought I had to check DCLs policy for.

Actually to be a bit snarky the policy in red would prohibit me from buying my wife a drink, that is very poorly worded, or done that way to give them an out if they want to bust people that they feel are drinking too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter