Alcatraz and Th Disney Family Museum on the same day?

jiminy14

DIS Veteran
We will be visiting San Fran next week and have limited free time. My DD would like to visit Alcatraz and the Disney Family Museum but our only free day is Thursday. Is it possible to do both on the same day?
If we did Alcatraz first thing in the morning how long should we allow for the ferry ride and tour? We would then take a cab out to the Presidio in the late morning/early afternoon to visit the museum. If this won't work, what other attractions would you suggest to visit at the Presidio?

It's been a while since I've done Alcatraz, and I haven't been to the DFM. But I'll give my opinion anyway :) I think it sounds like a very busy day, but doable, especially if you get on one of the first Alcatraz tours. Make sure you book your Alcatraz tickets in advance! They get sold out quite a ways in advance. Have fun!

-Bob

I am in trip planning mode too and what I have read says to allow 2.5 hours for Alcatraz as an average. The earliest tour leaves at 9:10 for our date in July. Another option which would leave you more time is to do the night tour.

Make sure you have good shoes, there is a good incline when walking upto Alcatraz. You can take how much time you want over there. If I remember right there are ferries that are there about every 20 to 30 minutes. They have the self guided tour. It is very interesting. So if you have limited time, go early and you determine how long you want to be there. Take your camera. Have a good time.

I'll vote for the night tour of Alcatraz . . . really a fun experience and the city lights at night on the way back are something else.

Bob is correct get your tickets ASAP.

I think it's completely reasonable to do both, assuming you don't need to stop for a nap midday with kids. The Family Museum took us about 2 hours, though there's a lot of art to look at that could take longer if that's your thing. Definitely get a picnic lunch, as the views are wonderful. Or, The Presidio Social Club is a restaurant about a mile from the museum that is quite good (especially if you like classic cocktails).

If it were me, I would get to the museum when it opened at 10 and spend my 2-3 hours there. Then have a leisurely lunch, head over to the Embarcadero, hang out near Pier 33 where the Alcatraz tours depart from. Add in a side trip to the Ferry Building or Coit Tower if you have time to kill. Then go on the tour, preferably one that's coming back as the sun is setting over the Golden Gate. Man, just writing that really makes me want to go to S.F.

Walt

^ Awesome post.

We're going next summer to SF (as well as DL and Yosemite). Are there many places to get a picnic lunch around there?

I'm sure there are others places, but we usually just stop at Safeway (grocery store) and pick up sandwiches and some fruit and veggies and hummus. I know there's one down in the Fisherman's Wharf area.

Definately can do both in one day - we did this two weeks ago. Had the "Early Bird" Alcatraz tickets (be sure to buy ahead online if you want the Early Bird as these sell out) - we were on the 9:30 boat, did the audio tour plus stopped a few times to take pictures and enjoy the view. We were on a boat back to the pier around 12:30. We swung by In-N-Out for lunch to eat on the way to the museum and rolled up to the Disney Family Museum at 1:05. Spent around 4 hours at the museum enjoying all of the exhibits.

It was a great day and a highlight of our trip.

Definately can do both in one day - we did this two weeks ago. Had the "Early Bird" Alcatraz tickets (be sure to buy ahead online if you want the Early Bird as these sell out) - we were on the 9:30 boat, did the audio tour plus stopped a few times to take pictures and enjoy the view. We were on a boat back to the pier around 12:30. We swung by In-N-Out for lunch to eat on the way to the museum and rolled up to the Disney Family Museum at 1:05. Spent around 4 hours at the museum enjoying all of the exhibits.

It was a great day and a highlight of our trip.

Sounds like a great day!

We did both last year and it was great. As the other posters suggested, take the early ferry to Alcatraz. If I can add anything,make sure to take the audio tour of Alcatraz. It was outstanding! I believe it is award winning and I can see why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter