Alaskan Cruisers...Question About Juneau

MickeyDee

Mouseketeer
Hi all...my parents, sister, niece and I will be cruising Alaska at the end of the month. My dad is an amputee and for the most part, wheelchair bound. He uses a motorized wheelchair, so it weighs a couple of hundred pounds at least. We had planned on doing the "Deluxe Tour of Juneau" port adventure, as it was wheelchair accessible, but as I was reading on, I noticed there was a weigh limit for the wheelchair/user. My dad is also a big guy, so I don't think with the wheelchair he would meet the weight limit.

I say all that, to ask this....can you easily tour Juneau without doing one of the tours or port adventures? Is there anything to see/do within walking distance from the ship?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all...my parents, sister, niece and I will be cruising Alaska at the end of the month. My dad is an amputee and for the most part, wheelchair bound. He uses a motorized wheelchair, so it weighs a couple of hundred pounds at least. We had planned on doing the "Deluxe Tour of Juneau" port adventure, as it was wheelchair accessible, but as I was reading on, I noticed there was a weigh limit for the wheelchair/user. My dad is also a big guy, so I don't think with the wheelchair he would meet the weight limit.

I say all that, to ask this....can you easily tour Juneau without doing one of the tours or port adventures? Is there anything to see/do within walking distance from the ship?

Thanks in advance!
First and main issue is that the ship docks a bit out of town and there is a bus shuttle to town it had steep steps. Worth speaking to DCL or book a private tour.

I agree... Assuming it's the same dock I was at last year, it's about a mile from town.

When I went looking at excursions... I had troubles finding something that was marked "wheelchair friendly" in the brochure for a loved one. Hopefully things have changed, but you may want to call Tourism Juneau for advice.

At least you don't have to "tender" to a lifeboat. That prevented us from accessing Juneau on another cruise line.

We were just in Juneau last week and where we docked was quite a distance from the downtown area. Hope you are able to find an excursion that works for you.

The Alaskan ports are very easy to do no your own. With a little research, it is also very easy to book private excursions or rent handicap accessible vehicles. We had a wheelchair in our party last year and booked mostly private tours. Everybody was very accommodating.

My daughter needs a wheelchair which normally limits us in excursions (which we don't mind as we love just staying in the ship!). We did find Alaska to be the most accessible of our cruises. In Juneau Disney arranged a bus with a wheelchair lift to take us into the town. We only did the Mt Roberts tour with the cable car taking us up the mountain. It was beautiful and easy to do with her chair. We did find the trails to be difficult after a certain point, but we saw enough to enjoy it. Besides, once a giant fly landed on her arm and didn't want to get off, she was done with nature! The bus driver told us where to meet the bus to get back to the ship. We had no problems and had a enjoyable day. Have a wonderful cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter