• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska with youngsters

Julie0315

Earning My Ears
Greetings all,
My family and I will be going on the late Aug Alaska sailing. We want to fly out of the NYC area, direct, and our kids will be 11 months and nearly 5 years. We have some logistical questions and would love feedback:
- how many days ahead of time do you recommend flying to Vancouver? Day before? A few days? We're open to Van sightseeing but are more concerned with flight delays.
- How would you recommend getting to and from Vancouver International airport to the hotels near Canada Place (dock)? We weren't intending on bringing our car seat.
- How easy is it to buy formula during the cruise? Should I plan to bring all of my own from home?
- Should we bother bringing a stroller? (I can wear the baby in a Bjorn for long periods if needed.)
- We were put on the later dinner seating (which will feel like 11pm to us), and have requested the first seating. Recommendations if we don't get it?

This is our first cruise and first time taking baby on a long flight. She's done 2-hour flights well but still has the typical needs of a young kiddo. Any additional tips or insights welcome :)

Thanks everyone!

We did Alaska when DD was 15 months old. Yes, bring a stroller! I would bring your own formula. Some car services would allow you to rent a car seat to get to the port. We flew in the morning of the cruise since we live in Portland, OR. I would fly in at least 2 days ahead in case of any delay and to acclimate to the new time. If you still do not have early seating prior to the cruise, ask once on board. Good chance you will get switched. Enjoy!

I can only address a couple based on general experience traveling (although I was out of the formula stage by the time we traveled)
- I would aim for at least the day before but most of our east coast travel disruptions during the summer are due to late day storms (either elsewhere that delayed the plane you're supposed to leave on or a late day flight on the east coast is delayed due to local weather). My own neuroticism would probably have me fly out at least 2 days early if i could swing the hotel.
-I had a picky kid, so I would bring my own. You probably know how much you need to bring based on your normal consumption. I'm pretty sure DCL has bottle warmers available on request.
-With an 11 month old, I'd bring a stroller, but check the dimensions of yours. The doors are narrow and you might not be able to stroll in and out of the stateroom.

-as far as late seating, my kids wouldn't cope eating that late...but maybe room service and or the food from the quick serve/buffet earlier in the day and the younger one could go to the nursery while the older one is in kids club and you eat dinner that late if you can't get it changed.

Take the skytrain (Canada Line) from the airport to Waterfront station. Exit through Cordova street and turn right. Canada Place/cruise terminal is 2 blocks or so away, super close. If you’re staying at Pan Pacific it’s right above the cruise terminal.

Two days before, allows you to make sure you're there on time and adjust to time changes for your LO.
Stroller not really necessary IMO but I do have a City Tour that folds into a backpack so it's easier than some giant things you can get.
You can take the train or get a car service to provide a car seat, car service/limo companies are expensive but you'll know your LO is safe.
as for late dinner, I can't help with that one. Perhaps they will see the age of your baby when you board and take pity on you and get you into main dining. Otherwise room service.

Thank you everyone! Appreciate all the comments; these are extremely helpful.

Follow-up questions: If we cannot make that late seating, is room service considered an extra cost? We will also fly home the afternoon the same day we disembark. Would you recommend taking transportation to airport via Disney or is taxi or Skytrain fine (how much of a difference does that make)? Thanks again!

Train v other methods - train is way cheaper. It’s just the question of juggling suitcases and kids. Kids under 12 yo travel free (and adults are not expensive).

- how many days ahead of time do you recommend flying to Vancouver? Day before? A few days? We're open to Van sightseeing but are more concerned with flight delays.
Early the day before is the absolute minimum, and I would personally do 3 so I could see more of the city.

- How would you recommend getting to and from Vancouver International airport to the hotels near Canada Place (dock)? We weren't intending on bringing our car seat.
Depending on the luggage you have, either the subway or an Uber. If you arrive in the middle of the day you'll have no problem fitting everyone on the train, but you also might have too many bags to manage.

- How easy is it to buy formula during the cruise? Should I plan to bring all of my own from home?
During the cruise will be difficult. Bring everything you need on the cruise. Whether you fly it to Vancouver or just visit a grocery store when you arrive depends on you.

- Should we bother bringing a stroller? (I can wear the baby in a Bjorn for long periods if needed.)
I still would, if nothing else to get around the airport and city before you get on the cruise. You'll rarely need it on the ship but it'll be huge in port.

- We were put on the later dinner seating (which will feel like 11pm to us), and have requested the first seating. Recommendations if we don't get it?
They do an accelerated version for the kids so they can eat quickly and head to the kids club. 3 hours after your prenights won't feel like a huge difference, but if 8 pm is still too late for the kids then you can always grab them food on the pool deck. But you'll most likely get first seating.

This community is so wonderful! Thank you, everyone, for your generosity of insight and time. Much appreciated!

Skytrain is great , but for a family of four, with little ones, I would take a taxi to waterfront when arriving, not that much more expensive capped at around $30 CAD +tip and less stressful on first trip in with luggage. Use the Skytrain though for exploring the city , it is great. You can always decide to use the skytrain back to the airport once you have used it already.

Skytrain is great , but for a family of four, with little ones, I would take a taxi to waterfront when arriving, not that much more expensive capped at around $30 CAD +tip and less stressful on first trip in with luggage. Use the Skytrain though for exploring the city , it is great. You can always decide to use the skytrain back to the airport once you have used it already.
@xuxa777 Thank you! Do you have a sense of requirements for car seat with the taxis, or if they provide?

Our kids were older when we sailed, however, I would definitely recommend main seating coming from the East Coast and with younger kids. I'd definitely request it on board if you're not granted it beforehand.

I'd recommend flying in two days prior. This allows for hiccups in your travel plans. We had planned to come in three days prior to see Vancouver and visit family, but our kid's schedules meant we only came in a day early and visited on the back end of our cruise. We took the earliest flight out in the morning from Baltimore to reduce possible delays, connected in Chicago, and the only hard part was staying awake once we were in Vancouver after dinner. We took a cab from the airport which was super easy, but didn't need a car seat. There are car services that might be able to provide a car seat for you as well if you'd like to go a route different from the train. There are a ton of kid-friendly things to do in Vancouver. We did the aquarium, Grouse Mountain and FlyOver Canada. FlyOver Canada is at the port, but probably not appropriate for a one-year-old.

As for the formula, we did go to a market in Skagway, which is an easily walkable town. We had taken a private tour with Chilkoot Charters so our tour guide gave us directions, but I'm sure you could easily Google it. However, I'd probably pack my own just to be sure. I wouldn't want to rely on them having what we normally used.

When I flew cross country with a one-year-old I made sure I packed plenty of snacks, a sippy cup, and a few new toys or activities for him to do on the plane. I'd bring something new out at different intervals to entertain him. Actually, I will still pack my kids snacks and something new to keep them occupied! ;) We also had a tablet so he could watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or something like that if we were desperate. Plus, there's always naptime!

Have a great time! Alaska is amazing!

Don't have kids, so can't really provide an informed opinion on most of your questions, but I can address this one. We were on the second Alaska cruise of this season. We are also from the Eastern timezone and had been put on 2nd seating for dinner. We got on the waitlist for the early seating, but that didn't come through ahead of the cruise. So on embarkation day, as soon as we got on the ship we asked where they were doing dining requests and went straight there. They were able to move us to the early seating with no problem at all. So my recommendation is to go to wherever they are dealing with dining requests as soon as you board the ship and see if they can help you with your request. For us, they set up in the French Quarter Lounge on deck 3, down near Tiana's. There will be two different lines set up for dining issues, one for people wanting Palo and the other for other general dining issues (seating changes, allergies, etc.), so just make sure you get into the right line. There will be plenty of Cast Members to direct you to the right place. Hope you enjoy the cruise, it really was awesome!

-how many days ahead of time do you recommend flying to Vancouver? Day before? A few days? We're open to Van sightseeing but are more concerned with flight delays.
We flew in two days before the cruise. I’m glad we did. Our flight from Newark was delayed over 2 hrs and I was really worried we wouldn’t even fly that day. So normally I only fly in the day before but given the distance I think 2 days is safer.

If you stay at a hotel near the Sky Train you can walk right out of the Vancouver Airport onto the train, then walk from the station to your hotel. You can also use it to go to the port.

Bring your own formula.

Personal preference. I would personally bring a small reclining umbrella stroller and a baby carrier since you have two kids and may be traveling at night while dealing with a time change.

Eat a nice lunch then just eat on the pool deck for dinner.

T
Thank you everyone! Appreciate all the comments; these are extremely helpful.

Follow-up questions: If we cannot make that late seating, is room service considered an extra cost? We will also fly home the afternoon the same day we disembark. Would you recommend taking transportation to airport via Disney or is taxi or Skytrain fine (how much of a difference does that make)? Thanks again!
aking Disney transportation to the airport would be more expensive but easier because they’ll load all your luggage on the bus for you.

Oh - make sure your luggage tags are on your luggage before you get to the cruise terminal. It drastically speeds up check in. I couldn’t believe how many people didn’t have luggage tags when they arrived. They had to stand in a huge line and we zoomed through with no wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter