• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska - Whale Watching & Crab Lunch Recommendations

Is it better to do whale watching in both ISP and Juneau? Or just 1 port?
It depends on what else you want to do and how much you want to see. We did it in Juneau and saw so many whales. In Ketchikan, we did the deadliest catch boat and got to see Eagles and lots of other sea creatures. I’m glad we did different things, honestly.

It depends on what else you want to do and how much you want to see. We did it in Juneau and saw so many whales. In Ketchikan, we did the deadliest catch boat and got to see Eagles and lots of other sea creatures. I’m glad we did different things, honestly.
I would agree with this, I wouldn’t do two whale watching excursions. There are too many other things to do in Alaska.

What trail do you hike on JU33?
I have no idea, it goes around the visitor’s center and over a bridge with a creek where you check water temperature and maybe something else for the science part and they talked to the kids about different types of trees and other stuff. I was carrying my 2yo and it was a relatively flat and easy hike though for my back’s sake I was really wishing I had brought my carrier.

Is it better to do whale watching in both ISP and Juneau? Or just 1 port?
We did whale watching in ISP with Captin Shawn through Glacier Winds. It was an incredible day on the water with only 5 guests - his boat holds 6. We saw humpbacks, porpoises, sea otters, puffins, and a bear walking along the shore. There are far fewer boats in that area which makes for much nicer viewing. Highly reocmmend!

I would agree with this, I wouldn’t do two whale watching excursions. There are too many other things to do in Alaska.
The thing is I already know my family will just ride the gondola at ISP and maybe try one of the restaurants but there is nothing else to do that will interest my family. Yet, Juneau is the best to watch whales which I was gonna plan on. But it is harder trying to do Mendenhall at the moment trying to get transportation and find time to eat at Tracy's. I have booked excursions with local vendors for whale watching at both ISP and Juneau who have gotten remarkable reviews which is making my decision difficult.

I was reading somewhere else that DCL might have a better excursion through a local vendor that does whale watching and Mendenhall combined. Yet, one deals with science and looks like might do photo trail, while the other one does photo with the steep trail. So trying to figure out which trail would be best to do with limited time at Mendenhall. Ideally I would like to do nugget falls but the one option that could do it with whale watching will be on a double deck catamaran so that isn't feasible for whale watching with DCL.

Also ISP the local vendor wants 30 days notice of cancelation before excursion which doesn't help with weather at the last minute. Juneau allows more timeframe like 2 to 3 days before excursion.

I'm going in July so not sure if weather will play a role in viewing of whales at ISP and Juneau.

We did whale watching in ISP with Captin Shawn through Glacier Winds. It was an incredible day on the water with only 5 guests - his boat holds 6. We saw humpbacks, porpoises, sea otters, puffins, and a bear walking along the shore. There are far fewer boats in that area which makes for much nicer viewing. Highly reocmmend!
Which month did you cruise? Was your cruise a morning or afternoon excursion?

It was early June. Our excursion started at about 10 AM and we spent more than four hours on the water.

In 2018 we did the Ketchikan KE31 Wilderness Exploration and Crab Fest. Excellent excursion. You start off with a boat ride (a small touring boat holds about 35 people) and travel to an area where there are crab cages in the water. They pull up one cage and show you actual crabs. They tell you all about the fishing/crabbing industry, point out eagle nests and other wildlife along the shoreline. Then you return to their boat dock and go into a dining area where you fest on crab legs. It's all you can eat. Everyone at your table competes with the other tables to see who can make the tallest crab shell tower (in the middle of your table). Really fun and would do it again.

We also did this excursion and loved it! We will be going back for this crab feast at the George Inlet Lodge on our coming return trip. Yummy!!!
Thanks guys, I had this booked, then cancelled thinking it was too expensive and wouldn't leave us enough time to walk around Ketchikan, and now I have it booked again 🤦😄

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter