Alaska Skagway helicopter tour

wendlle

Aussie Wendy
How nervous should I be about having booked a helicopter glacier tour at Skagway for 3pm ?

I’m concerned if it gets foggy and we get stuck there we will miss our ship - I booked directly not thru Disney - I can’t change to Disney as it’s sold out.
Our all aboard time is 8pm and the excursion is from 3-5pm

I’ve seen a few people say they got fogged in and had to stay overnight and get sent to the next port the next day - I’m sure this isn’t the norm but also something I’m worried about.

Thoughts??

How nervous should I be about having booked a helicopter glacier tour at Skagway for 3pm ?

I’m concerned if it gets foggy and we get stuck there we will miss our ship - I booked directly not thru Disney - I can’t change to Disney as it’s sold out.
Our all aboard time is 8pm and the excursion is from 3-5pm

I’ve seen a few people say they got fogged in and had to stay overnight and get sent to the next port the next day - I’m sure this isn’t the norm but also something I’m worried about.

Thoughts??
It can happen. Does it happen to everyone? No. Can it happen if you have a 9am helicopter tour? Yes. They had an emergency hut on the glacier I visited in case tours have to stay over night. If fog is a serious factor that day they may not even do the helicopter tour, but if sudden fog or weather rolls in, you'll be spending the night on the glacier.

Good news is the next port probably isn't "that far" by air and since your already working with a helicopter tour company, maybe you can work out a deal to get you to the next port. :D

If it makes you more comfortable you could try to move your tour earlier in the day, but in all reality this is the small risk of taking a helicopter tour in Alaska without having the DCL guarantee when you book with them. Only you know how stress inducing this entire situation will be for you. Can you live with the small percentage chance? I always prefer to have information, so maybe contact the tour company you booked with and ask them how many tours this season have had to wait out weather on the glacier for extended periods of time. Then you have a better number to use to decide if you find that an acceptable risk for you.

And, to be clear, even if this is rare, and 1000s of people have gone on these tours without it happening. It. Can. Happen. Period. Thats flying in Alaska. It's a valid concern for you to consider.

What does Disney do in the event of a DCL excursion being fogged-in? We're taking a helicopter to the Mendanhall Glacier (booked through Disney). I know generally the expectation is that they hold the boat for late arriving DCL excursions, but would they really sit at dock overnight if we're stuck on the glacier?

What does Disney do in the event of a DCL excursion being fogged-in? We're taking a helicopter to the Mendanhall Glacier (booked through Disney). I know generally the expectation is that they hold the boat for late arriving DCL excursions, but would they really sit at dock overnight if we're stuck on the glacier?
They won't stay overight at the dock. They would make arrangements to get you to the next port.

plus if you dont make it back and have to catch up the next day, many of the the charter companies refund the cost of the excursion. I wouldn't worry and enjoy an event of a lifetime. It is awesome. One thing I did notice is Disney booked charters are seemed quicker to cancel. We were leaving the ship for the third party booking and some of the Disney ones were cancelled.

I booked ours through Alaska Shore Excursions, who used Temsco. ASE had a guarantee about getting you to the next port. Who did you book with?

I have not read stories about this situation - but plenty of cancelled flights due to fog.

I really believe they err on the side of caution.

I booked ours through Alaska Shore Excursions, who used Temsco. ASE had a guarantee about getting you to the next port. Who did you book with?
I booked with Alaska Shore Tours. They use Temsco.
I think I have decided to keep it. Yes it is a risk and yes I do have kids with me so not ideal to get stuck - but honestly, spending a night on a glacier is a story to tell for a lifetime! So I have accepted the risk!

Last edited:
I’ve spoken to CM, should that happen, the kids stay with CM, so they would not be left alone.

I booked with Alaska Shore Tours. They use Temsco.
I think I have decided to keep it. Yes it is a risk and yes I do have kids with me so not ideal to get stuck - but honestly, spending a night on a glacier is a story to tell for a lifetime! So I have accepted the risk!
I wouldn’t worry too much. They really watch the weather. Where did you read about people getting fogged in? I don’t recall ever seeing anyone mention that on these boards.

Are you just doing the glacier or the dogsled one?

I wouldn’t worry too much. They really watch the weather. Where did you read about people getting fogged in? I don’t recall ever seeing anyone mention that on these boards.

Are you just doing the glacier or the dogsled one?
I'm going in September so the dogs aren't available then. So this is just a glacier explorer.

I've watched several videos on youtube, some very recent - in the last few weeks, some from a year or two ago.
Also I'm on some Disney Alaska Cruise Facebook pages, and there are some reports on there as well.

I'm going in September so the dogs aren't available then. So this is just a glacier explorer.

I've watched several videos on youtube, some very recent - in the last few weeks, some from a year or two ago.
Also I'm on some Disney Alaska Cruise Facebook pages, and there are some reports on there as well.
Which September cruise? 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter