Alaska - Seattle vs Vancouver

Canada has many cruises planned for 2022 on both coasts. Those on the East Coast, almost all originate in the US. They will have things figured out in the New Year I am sure, as long as omicron doesn’t turn out to be a wild card. Most Canadians are vaccinated.

Vancouver Pro's
  • a better Canadian port than Victoria. You want a few pre/post-cruise days to experience it all.
  • sail the scenic calm protected waters of South Inside passage that Seattle sailings skip. There's even limited cell coverage in the passage!
  • Disney cruises from there!
  • Seattle is a $30 bus/train ride away in a few hours
Seattle Pro's
  • less issues with customs and Covid issues for US residents
  • cheaper flights
  • get to experience larger cruise ships that don't find under the Lion's gate
  • get to explore the rough waters found in Graveyard of the Pacific

I ended up with 4 as I was allowing for not going directly from the ship to the airport.

Test into Canada
Test onto ship
Test back into Canada (on ship?)
Test back into the US

I am on a DCL cruise in September 2022, and I am having the same thoughts regarding testing and the time restraints to get it all done. Also, the thought of what happens if someone tests positive. I haven't bought air yet because I am waiting to see if there will be any changes before I actually book the flights.

If money is a factor, flights to- and lodging in- Seattle are usually less expensive. Vancouver is a very nice city; probably nicer for tourists. But I can’t pick one over the other, hands down. The port in Vancouver is more convenient than one of the ports in Seattle, but that’s only about 20 minutes of your entire week.

I find the itinerary and ship (after all costs) to be my determining factor.

If it’s your first AK cruise, I think any set of ports will be fine. (Unless you have a must-do on your list).

I cruised NCL this September from Seattle and did not experience the rough waters of the Pacific. And have not in the past when sailing out of Seattle (maybe we entered the Inside Passage earlier in the journey).

I stayed downtown near the Convention Center and did a lot of walking. Yes, more homeless people than I am used to - but I live in a suburban area. I felt safe as a solo, late middle age, traveler on an afternoon precruise. I do keep aware of my surroundings, but did not feel the need to get out of any area quickly.

I have friends who live in Seattle and they don't go "downtown" anymore and steer any guests away from the area (Pike Place Market, etc). I think it's very sad and hope they find a solution. That said, it's a beautiful area. There's much more than just downtown, though. Check out Ballard (https://visitseattle.org/neighborhoods/ballard/) with tons of fun shops and great places to eat or brave downtown long enough to catch the ferry out to Bremerton (https://www.visitkitsap.com/bremerton). I would still choose Seattle just for the convenience.

We have a DCL cruise booked out of Vancouver in July and are wondering how everything will be addressed. We have a large group so I think one of our plans will be to test before we ever go to the airport to give some reassurance before we fly out west.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter