Alaska - Seattle vs Vancouver

emilymad

DIS Veteran
Will we be missing out if we book an Alaska cruise out of Seattle instead of Vancouver? We are considering DCL but the Vancouver departure is making us hesitate. By my current math we would need 4 covid tests for the Vancouver cruise instead of 1 for the Seattle sailing. I know lots could change between now and then but you have to make a decision based on what is known now.

The ports on the Seattle options seem mostly the same as the Vancouver sailings. Is not sailing in the Pacific that big of a deal? We have never sailed to Alaska and watching YouTube videos only shows so much.

There really isn't a great difference between sailing from Seattle or Vancouver. Go with the one that looks best for you.

We had a similar predicament when we were booking our Alaskan cruise. We were down to DCL (Vancouver) and Norwegian (Seattle). We were equally fine with the cost of each cruise, but we ended up doing Seattle because it was significantly cheaper (4 figures!) for us to fly in/out of there. So I can't compare the two, but I can say we LOVED our cruise out of Seattle (and exploring the town the day before!). We want to do it again.

I'd look closely to see if you could pick up Glacier Bay on a Seattle run. DCL doesn't have sailing rights to GB and it is one of those things that the chance to see dies a little more each year.

We had a similar predicament when we were booking our Alaskan cruise. We were down to DCL (Vancouver) and Norwegian (Seattle). We were equally fine with the cost of each cruise, but we ended up doing Seattle because it was significantly cheaper (4 figures!) for us to fly in/out of there. So I can't compare the two, but I can say we LOVED our cruise out of Seattle (and exploring the town the day before!). We want to do it again.

Yeah, I would agree. All things considered, total cost of incidentals out of SEA will be cheaper. Even with the exchange rate, majority of hotels downtown or even on the Eastside will be cheaper.

Now offset that as to whether it's desirable to go out of Seattle. Don't wear open-toed shoes (way too many drug needles laying around on the streets downtown) and don't make eye contact with anyone who looks sketchy (a LOT of those). Don't forget to come only when there's not a protest. Don't waste time at Starbucks #1. But definitely go to the Piroshky place a couple doors down (SO good!).

Yeah, I would agree. All things considered, total cost of incidentals out of SEA will be cheaper. Even with the exchange rate, majority of hotels downtown or even on the Eastside will be cheaper.

Now offset that as to whether it's desirable to go out of Seattle. Don't wear open-toed shoes (way too many drug needles laying around on the streets downtown) and don't make eye contact with anyone who looks sketchy (a LOT of those). Don't forget to come only when there's not a protest. Don't waste time at Starbucks #1. But definitely go to the Piroshky place a couple doors down (SO good!).

I agree with your 2nd paragraph. I loved Seattle when I went in 2010 but my last recent trip it was meh, not sure I want to go back. Vancouver has always been great and couldn't wait to go back.

Look carefully at the port schedules for the cruises. Alaska cruises that are round trip out of Seattle have to make a port call somewhere in Canada. For the 7 night cruises this is almost always Victoria and it will be an evening call with the ship arriving around 6pm. Victoria is a beautiful city, but you will only have a few hours there. This will also mean one of the other ports, often Ketchikan, has a shorter time ashore.

I know what you mean--I wish DCL would re-route this year's summer cruises to leave from Seattle. It is going to be such a challenge worrying about changes in testing protocols etc. But we're keeping it because I just no if I switched to another cruise line I'd be constantly comparing it to DCL and feeling cheated out o fhte Alaska cruise I really wanted. Hopefully, by summer the border restrictions won't be too bad any more.

Spending time in Vancouver itself is one of the best parts of an Alaska cruise.
I agree, It was our favorite port to begin or end a cruise. It’s usually just my husband and I, and we love the ease of the sky train from airport to cruise terminal. Easy, fast and cheap. The city is beautiful with great restaurants, and places to wander.

I would pick whichever cruise has the longest time in ports. I have only sailed Princess to Alaska, and only twice, and both from Vancouver. My favorite was a one way Vancouver to Whittier. It could be if you end in Alaska, you wouldn‘t have as many COVID requirements.

Seattle isn’t the city it was a few years ago. Hopefully it will get better because it has so many great areas to see.

I know what you mean--I wish DCL would re-route this year's summer cruises to leave from Seattle. It is going to be such a challenge worrying about changes in testing protocols etc. But we're keeping it because I just no if I switched to another cruise line I'd be constantly comparing it to DCL and feeling cheated out o fhte Alaska cruise I really wanted. Hopefully, by summer the border restrictions won't be too bad any more.
We are in the same boat…seriously considering switching to Fantasy cruise instead…coming from the east coast, if we were to get a positive result upon embarkation from anyone, that would suck. If the testing restrictions are the same this summer as they are now to get across the border, we would not go….that’s like two tests we have to pay for, coming in and out of Canada, times my family of six..that’s a lot of extra $$$ for testing on top of a very expensive cruise :guilty:….we can drive to Florida…
I am just going to be so upset if we switch and they decide to change ports to Seattle…can they do that?:confused3
Will we be missing out if we book an Alaska cruise out of Seattle instead of Vancouver? We are considering DCL but the Vancouver departure is making us hesitate. By my current math we would need 4 covid tests for the Vancouver cruise instead of 1 for the Seattle sailing. I know lots could change between now and then but you have to make a decision based on what is known now.

The ports on the Seattle options seem mostly the same as the Vancouver sailings. Is not sailing in the Pacific that big of a deal? We have never sailed to Alaska and watching YouTube videos only shows so much.
Did I miss a test somewhere? I get three..going back and forth across the border, and then one on embarkation?

We are in the same boat…seriously considering switching to Fantasy cruise instead…coming from the east coast, if we were to get a positive result upon embarkation from anyone, that would suck. If the testing restrictions are the same this summer as they are now to get across the border, we would not go….that’s like two tests we have to pay for, coming in and out of Canada, times my family of six..that’s a lot of extra $$$ for testing on top of a very expensive cruise :guilty:….we can drive to Florida…
I am just going to be so upset if we switch and they decide to change ports to Seattle…can they do that?:confused3

Did I miss a test somewhere? I get three..going back and forth across the border, and then one on embarkation?

I ended up with 4 as I was allowing for not going directly from the ship to the airport.

Test into Canada
Test onto ship
Test back into Canada (on ship?)
Test back into the US

This is a little of what I am concerned about. Always FOMO 😂 I am also concerned about DCL canceling the Alaska cruises if they can't work out the on ship testing requirements. I think I read on another thread that someone called DCL about the Hawaii to Vancouver cruise and testing and DCL had no answer about what they planned to do.

I have been to Seattle, Vancouver, and Victoria before so I am not super concerned about sightseeing at these places unless it just happens to work out.

DCL cannot switch to Seattle for 2022.

The legislation that was passed for 2021 to provide a PVSA exception was valid only until Canada lifted restrictions on cruise ships docking at Canadian ports.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/legislation/2021/05/24/bill-signed-h-r-1318/
While a new bill has been proposed to make the exception semi-permanent, the bill was proposed in September, referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, and hasn't received a single hearing to date.

Last edited:
Don't wear open-toed shoes (way too many drug needles laying around on the streets downtown) and don't make eye contact with anyone who looks sketchy (a LOT of those).
Half of Seattle residents wear socks and Birkenstock sandals. Also you really can’t tell the difference between the billionaire tech bros and the homeless. They are both dressed equally as bad

Reactions: KVH
So, personally as much as I love DCL (I'm platinum), I would recommend Princess for Alaska because they have access to Glacier Bay. But as others have said, if you're truly just looking at departure for the cruise and not spending a few days ahead, then Seattle is great. if you want a mini-trip before, I would echo the Vancouver recommendation (and suggest you consider flying into SEA and taking Amtrak up to Vancouver, it's a lovely ride on the Cascades!).

No matter what - an Alaska cruise will be amazing, so just go with what feels like makes the most sense for you and your family.

So, personally as much as I love DCL (I'm platinum), I would recommend Princess for Alaska because they have access to Glacier Bay. But as others have said, if you're truly just looking at departure for the cruise and not spending a few days ahead, then Seattle is great. if you want a mini-trip before, I would echo the Vancouver recommendation (and suggest you consider flying into SEA and taking Amtrak up to Vancouver, it's a lovely ride on the Cascades!).

No matter what - an Alaska cruise will be amazing, so just go with what feels like makes the most sense for you and your family.
This had been our plan, but I do not believe train service into Canada is operating at this point…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter