Alaska scheduling questions and Dawes Glacier

jldcherry

Mouseketeer
We will be on the Wonder in Alaska in June. This is our first Disney cruise. We have lots of questions and have found everyone's advice on this forum very helpful!
-Is it feasible to easily get on and off the ship to go back and eat lunch then get off again? Is this more difficult because of covid?
-Is getting on the smaller boat at Dawes Glacier worth it? I've seen several people say they left their kids onboard and went adults only on the smaller boat, is that a better plan?
-How many excursions do you try to fit in a day? I have no point of reference for how long it takes to get off the ship in the morning.

We are sailing to Alaska in June as well. My kids are 8 & 11 (almost 12). While not our first cruise, it will be our first time to Alaska. We booked the Dawes Glacier Explorer for our kids. The cost is pretty high, but our kids are into science and nature so we hope it will be a worthwhile experience for them. I did book the later excursion, which will be a crunch or late for dinner, but my kids would also like to meet characters on deck so we're rolling with it. I'm only planning one excursion a day. We only have one long excursion planned in Skagway and will take time to explore the towns or hike on our own around the scheduled excursion. Not totally helpful based on past experience, but our plan of attack going into it. There are also some great trip reports on Alaskan cruises, although they're all pre-Covid.

I don't think it's very feasible to come back to the ship for lunch, while Skagway and Ketchikan have the ship close to town, Skagway excursions tend to be long, and Ketchikan had us arriving at 11 am, so we just did a late breakfast/early lunch before leaving the ship. Juneau requires a free shuttle from the ship to the edge of town, so that would cut into your port time if you go back and forth.

We didn't want to pay that amount for the smaller boat excursion. I feel we got plenty of great views from the ship (check out my trip report in my signature to see our pics.).

One excursion per day. If you're doing it thru Disney they require a certain amount of time between them...90 minutes? 1 hour? I can't remember... Generally Disney excursions are allowed off the ship first, then everyone else.

We loved the Dawes Glacier boat experience. It was a highlight of our DCL Alaska cruise. It was a great way to enjoy the glacier up close. If you've seen glaciers up close in other places, it isn't anything "special" in that regard. But if this is your first chance to get close to a glacier (it was for us at the time) then it is totally worth is.

If you plan to book excursions in each port, in general I'd recommend 1 per day. As others have said, they are usually several hours long, and the extra time at the end of the day can be used to just explore each town.
Exceptions to this rule for me would be if you book a helicopter tour to a glacier first thing in the morning out of Skagway (I'd highly recommend this, we LOVED it), because then you will be back by 11:00am. We just walked around Skagway and had a great time. We also returned to the ship for lunch before spending time in Skagway that day. If you wanted a second Port Adventure, this tour/time/booking would allow for something in the afternoon.

Second exception would be Ketchikan and the Lumberjack Port Adventure. This is a Port Adventure you can easily book on your own if you don't want to go through DCL. It is a pretty quick experience, and also right next to where the ship docks. You could easily come back for lunch (we had lunch before leaving the ship because we got to Ketchikan later in the day and didn't rush off) or book an afternoon Port Adventure, or morning PA and do the show in the afternoon.

Getting off the ship in the morning can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 50 minutes! Things to consider, are how long it takes to dock and clear the ship (I waited almost an hour once for customs to clear that ship in Ireland), if you are on a DCL Port Adventures or not (they get to go through exit first if needed usually), if your late getting into the port (problems the night before etc), and just how long and where in line you are in the scanning and checking out phase. To be safe when I book something outside of DCL I usually don't book it for any earlier than an hour past our arrival time. A lot of times the ship is in port and cleared early and it's a "wasted hour", on the other hand I was literally running to try and make my meet up time in Ireland!!!!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

We loved the Dawes Glacier boat experience. It was a highlight of our DCL Alaska cruise. It was a great way to enjoy the glacier up close. If you've seen glaciers up close in other places, it isn't anything "special" in that regard. But if this is your first chance to get close to a glacier (it was for us at the time) then it is totally worth is.

If you plan to book excursions in each port, in general I'd recommend 1 per day. As others have said, they are usually several hours long, and the extra time at the end of the day can be used to just explore each town.
Exceptions to this rule for me would be if you book a helicopter tour to a glacier first thing in the morning out of Skagway (I'd highly recommend this, we LOVED it), because then you will be back by 11:00am. We just walked around Skagway and had a great time. We also returned to the ship for lunch before spending time in Skagway that day. If you wanted a second Port Adventure, this tour/time/booking would allow for something in the afternoon.

Second exception would be Ketchikan and the Lumberjack Port Adventure. This is a Port Adventure you can easily book on your own if you don't want to go through DCL. It is a pretty quick experience, and also right next to where the ship docks. You could easily come back for lunch (we had lunch before leaving the ship because we got to Ketchikan later in the day and didn't rush off) or book an afternoon Port Adventure, or morning PA and do the show in the afternoon.

Getting off the ship in the morning can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 50 minutes! Things to consider, are how long it takes to dock and clear the ship (I waited almost an hour once for customs to clear that ship in Ireland), if you are on a DCL Port Adventures or not (they get to go through exit first if needed usually), if your late getting into the port (problems the night before etc), and just how long and where in line you are in the scanning and checking out phase. To be safe when I book something outside of DCL I usually don't book it for an easier then an hour past our arrival time. A lot of times the ship is in port and cleared early and it's a "wasted hour", on the other hand I was literally running to try and make my meet up time in Ireland!!!!

Hope that helps.
This is very helpful! We booked dog sledding and helicopter to a glacier in Skagway through an outside company and plan to book excursions in Ketchikan through an outside vendor. The one hour after arrival advice is very useful.

When looking to book two excursions, make sure the last one is through DCL. If you book one online or at the port, with someone else, and you are late returning to the ship, it will not wait for you. We were on an EBPC some years ago when a DCL excursion/bus was late. The Magic waited 45 minutes for them to get to the dock (flat tire). Any non-DCL adventure will not get that treatment.

-Is getting on the smaller boat at Dawes Glacier worth it? I've seen several people say they left their kids onboard and went adults only on the smaller boat, is that a better plan?

How old are your kids? If they are old enough to be left alone, then there is no issue. If they need to be in secured programming, the issue may be timing. I believe the glacier explorer small boat tour lasts several hours and currently there are limits on the amount of time kids can be in the clubs. Of course, this may be different by June.

How old are your kids? If they are old enough to be left alone, then there is no issue. If they need to be in secured programming, the issue may be timing. I believe the glacier explorer small boat tour lasts several hours and currently there are limits on the amount of time kids can be in the clubs. Of course, this may be different by June.
My kids will be 9 and 7, but we have grandparents coming on the trip who would be willing to keep the kids on the ship while we go on the early boat and go by themselves on the later boat. I'm mostly interested in if there is enough going on on the smaller boat and if we will get a good enough view from the ship. It is expensive and we could spend the money on other excursions, but if it is truly fantastic we are willing to pay for the smaller boat experience.

We did an excursion in Skagway (ziplining, avail through DCL but we booked independently for cost savings and a smaller group - turned out to be just the 5 of us). We returned to the ship for a late lunch, and the kids had zero interest in doing anything else. DH and I then went on an easy hike to Yakutania Point, right by where we were docked, literally just a few minutes walk. We also had extended family on board who had returned from their excursions not that long after us, plus DH had cell service just in case. It was a really great way to get some extra time in port without taxing the kids further, any cost, or wasted transit time. Plus I got a great photo of the Wonder! This was the only port that made that really doable with the excursions we had planned... we really couldn't figure out a way to get two actual excursions in anywhere (that we wanted to do). IMG_2454.JPG

if we will get a good enough view from the ship. It is expensive and we could spend the money on other excursions, but if it is truly fantastic we are willing to pay for the smaller boat experience.

I think it's really personal what is "worth it." What I will try to do is explain what we saw, and the differences between being on the Wonder and the tiny ship. Again, if you have been up close to glaciers before, either in Alaska or in another country, this may not be "worth it." I have seen lots of glaciers after this experience, and done some glacier tours that put me even closer. This was our first time ever seeing a glacier in person, so at that point it was absolutely worth it to us.

So what will you see? You will board the small excursion boat at the entrance of Endicot arm, or if you have the second time slot, at Dawes Glacier (I was on the early time slot, and we had the entire Endicot arm to ourselves on the excursion boat, which was part of what made it so amazing). This boat had two levels. The first level is mostly an indoor area surrounded by widows. Inside is a restrooms, a small refreshment stand, and plenty of seating. There are several small decks out back and on the sides where you can also stand while the ship is moving. These can get crowded and be very windy. Come prepared. The second level of the deck is only open when the boat has stopped at the glacier. On board will be around 50 people on the port adventure from the Disney Wonder plus a half dozen or so crew.

If starting from the early slot which is at the entrance to Endicot Arm you board your boat and will have around 60-90 minute (I'd have to go back and check my notes) of traveling up the Arm. You will travel close to shore, so you may see Bald Eagles, Bears, and other animals. We saw a Bald Eagle during our time traveling up the Arm. You will have a close up view of the rolling hills and trees. Along the way you may pass small ice chunks or icebergs, and on these may be seals (we saw a baby seal). You can relax inside or enjoy the main deck outside areas during this part of the journey,

Once you get close to Dawes Glacier, the boat will pull up as close as they determine is safe. This distance depends changes daily and depends on the weather and the ice activity and flow. Your boat will then stop, and turn off the engines (or at least it becomes very quiet so I assume they were off) and you can then go onto the second deck. This is a large deck, but everyone cannot fit at once. For us, most people ran up there, took all their selfies, and then left within 15 minutes. We waited on the lower deck, and went up when it was less crowded, and had the deck area almost to ourselves the rest of the time. You will park at the glacier for 45-60 minutes, depending. You hopefully may get a chance to hear the glacier calve, which is something I will NEVER forget. That and the smell of a glacier. It's unmistakeable once you've experienced it. Near the end of this time period, the Disney Wonder will pull up a distance behind you (and further from the glacier) and when your time is up, you will pull up to the Wonder and get off, and the next group gets on.

The afternoon group will start at the glacier, stay there a bit after the Wonder leaves, and then follow the wonder back out of Endicot Arm and re-board near the end of the Arm.

So what will you see on the Wonder. All the same sights, just further away and higher up. Your views will be looking down on everything. You will not be at eye level. Even on deck 4, you are much higher then you will be on the excursion boat. You board the boat on deck 1, as a reference and it is only a small second story above that. You also will have to jockey for position to see with all the other guests, especially if you don't have a verandah (I'd rather spend the money on the excursions then the verandah IMHO). You will have access to more services like comfortable loungers, endless food and drinks, Disney music, movies etc if you get board of watching the glacier and scenery for some reason.
Onboard the Expedition boat you won't experience Characters at the glacier. We rushed back aboard and got one picture with Mickey out on deck, but by that time the characters were done with on deck pictures. We still got plenty in the "Alaska outfits" indoors the remainder of the afternoon.

I think that is about it for my experience. This was several years ago now, and the experience for this Port Adventure could have changed, or be a different company so different small ship etc, but this should hopefully give you a general idea of what to expect.

Again, I would sign up for this in a second if we were going on an Alaskan cruise again. Standing on the upper platform hearing the glaciers calves was something that I felt deep in my core. It was amazing. Just standing on the lower deck while we sailed along with the wind hitting my face and the smell of nature and cold water was a great time. Seeing a baby seal unclose was awesome.

Whatever you end up doing you will enjoy, so just pick what fits your budget and wishes for spending that time.

I think it's really personal what is "worth it." What I will try to do is explain what we saw, and the differences between being on the Wonder and the tiny ship. Again, if you have been up close to glaciers before, either in Alaska or in another country, this may not be "worth it." I have seen lots of glaciers after this experience, and done some glacier tours that put me even closer. This was our first time ever seeing a glacier in person, so at that point it was absolutely worth it to us.

So what will you see? You will board the small excursion boat at the entrance of Endicot arm, or if you have the second time slot, at Dawes Glacier (I was on the early time slot, and we had the entire Endicot arm to ourselves on the excursion boat, which was part of what made it so amazing). This boat had two levels. The first level is mostly an indoor area surrounded by widows. Inside is a restrooms, a small refreshment stand, and plenty of seating. There are several small decks out back and on the sides where you can also stand while the ship is moving. These can get crowded and be very windy. Come prepared. The second level of the deck is only open when the boat has stopped at the glacier. On board will be around 50 people on the port adventure from the Disney Wonder plus a half dozen or so crew.

If starting from the early slot which is at the entrance to Endicot Arm you board your boat and will have around 60-90 minute (I'd have to go back and check my notes) of traveling up the Arm. You will travel close to shore, so you may see Bald Eagles, Bears, and other animals. We saw a Bald Eagle during our time traveling up the Arm. You will have a close up view of the rolling hills and trees. Along the way you may pass small ice chunks or icebergs, and on these may be seals (we saw a baby seal). You can relax inside or enjoy the main deck outside areas during this part of the journey,

Once you get close to Dawes Glacier, the boat will pull up as close as they determine is safe. This distance depends changes daily and depends on the weather and the ice activity and flow. Your boat will then stop, and turn off the engines (or at least it becomes very quiet so I assume they were off) and you can then go onto the second deck. This is a large deck, but everyone cannot fit at once. For us, most people ran up there, took all their selfies, and then left within 15 minutes. We waited on the lower deck, and went up when it was less crowded, and had the deck area almost to ourselves the rest of the time. You will park at the glacier for 45-60 minutes, depending. You hopefully may get a chance to hear the glacier calve, which is something I will NEVER forget. That and the smell of a glacier. It's unmistakeable once you've experienced it. Near the end of this time period, the Disney Wonder will pull up a distance behind you (and further from the glacier) and when your time is up, you will pull up to the Wonder and get off, and the next group gets on.

The afternoon group will start at the glacier, stay there a bit after the Wonder leaves, and then follow the wonder back out of Endicot Arm and re-board near the end of the Arm.

So what will you see on the Wonder. All the same sights, just further away and higher up. Your views will be looking down on everything. You will not be at eye level. Even on deck 4, you are much higher then you will be on the excursion boat. You board the boat on deck 1, as a reference and it is only a small second story above that. You also will have to jockey for position to see with all the other guests, especially if you don't have a verandah (I'd rather spend the money on the excursions then the verandah IMHO). You will have access to more services like comfortable loungers, endless food and drinks, Disney music, movies etc if you get board of watching the glacier and scenery for some reason.
Onboard the Expedition boat you won't experience Characters at the glacier. We rushed back aboard and got one picture with Mickey out on deck, but by that time the characters were done with on deck pictures. We still got plenty in the "Alaska outfits" indoors the remainder of the afternoon.

I think that is about it for my experience. This was several years ago now, and the experience for this Port Adventure could have changed, or be a different company so different small ship etc, but this should hopefully give you a general idea of what to expect.

Again, I would sign up for this in a second if we were going on an Alaskan cruise again. Standing on the upper platform hearing the glaciers calves was something that I felt deep in my core. It was amazing. Just standing on the lower deck while we sailed along with the wind hitting my face and the smell of nature and cold water was a great time. Seeing a baby seal unclose was awesome.

Whatever you end up doing you will enjoy, so just pick what fits your budget and wishes for spending that time.

We are trying to figure out which time slot to do the Dawes Glacier excursion. My bucket list item is to get an outdoor picture with Alaskan Minnie. In order to do that, which time slot for the excursion would give us better odds so we don't miss that opportunity? Thanks :)

We are trying to figure out which time slot to do the Dawes Glacier excursion. My bucket list item is to get an outdoor picture with Alaskan Minnie. In order to do that, which time slot for the excursion would give us better odds so we don't miss that opportunity? Thanks :)

Second time slot based on previous years schedules. You can't know for sure until then first cruises have gone and people post navigator information. My experience is most of those Mickey/Minnie outside opportunities are when the ship is sitting still at the glacier, which for us (on the first time slot) was when we were headed back to meet up with the Wonder. So we only got to take one outside with Mickey and we literally had to run up and do it as soon as we got off the Port Adventure.

But who knows how this year will look.

I booked the second excursion so we could meet characters on deck. I watched a vlog where someone did this. Fingers crossed it will work!

We did an excursion in Skagway (ziplining, avail through DCL but we booked independently for cost savings and a smaller group - turned out to be just the 5 of us). We returned to the ship for a late lunch, and the kids had zero interest in doing anything else. DH and I then went on an easy hike to Yakutania Point, right by where we were docked, literally just a few minutes walk. We also had extended family on board who had returned from their excursions not that long after us, plus DH had cell service just in case. It was a really great way to get some extra time in port without taxing the kids further, any cost, or wasted transit time. Plus I got a great photo of the Wonder! This was the only port that made that really doable with the excursions we had planned... we really couldn't figure out a way to get two actual excursions in anywhere (that we wanted to do). View attachment 647175
Thank you for your information!! So helpful! The yakutania point hike, can my kids get close to the edge of the water? They love to beach comb and we are trying to decide between the yakutania point and smugglers cove hike vs the lower Dewey lake trail in Skagway. My kids (7 and 9) can easily hike 3 miles, but much further is a stretch of their patience.

Thank you for your information!! So helpful! The yakutania point hike, can my kids get close to the edge of the water? They love to beach comb and we are trying to decide between the yakutania point and smugglers cove hike vs the lower Dewey lake trail in Skagway. My kids (7 and 9) can easily hike 3 miles, but much further is a stretch of their patience.
You can get right up to the water! It's not really a sandy beach, though - it's rocky. If your kids like scampering around rocks, they will be thrilled. I'm attaching a photo (pardon the bad blacking out of DH's face). My other picture of the Wonder was, IIRC, taken about the same time I took this, from this approximate location - just looking to my left. Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 9.45.47 AM.png

jldcherry - are you able to book the Dawes Glacier (day 3) excursion? We are sailing in July and when I try to add a port adventure activity, I still get the ”we’re working on it” page.

jldcherry - are you able to book the Dawes Glacier (day 3) excursion? We are sailing in July and when I try to add a port adventure activity, I still get the ”we’re working on it” page.
We sail in June. During my silver booking window it showed sold out, in the days after it started just erroring out when I tried to check for availability. It currently just gives me an error message.

We were able to book it today for our July 4 sailing! I think it was recently added (or someone recently cancelled)

We were able to book this for our June sailing today. They must've fixed whatever issue they were having, so I would check the app!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter