Alaska or Europe?

You're getting some really good posts here, but I was thinking about this and I don't think "Europe vs. Alaska" is detailed enough in that there is a big difference depending on where in Europe you are considering. The Med port days are long and the ship docks far outside most of the towns. In Alaska we loved how we could walk to town in both Skagway and Ketchikan (well, we were docked IN town there, so it was more just walking around town). The Med and N. European cruises are more ruins/cathedrals/palaces/museums heavy cruises compared to Alaska which is mostly nature. But the Norway/Norway Iceland cruises are docking in the city most places (like in Alaska) and are more nature oriented or a combo of nature days vs ruins/palaces, etc. centric. Also, the Med can be HOT, Alaska can be quite chilly, and N. Europe can run from warm to cold. Sorry to be long winded, but which cruises in Europe are you considering?

I think it depends on what interests you more. Alaska will be more nature based. It's really beautiful there, but going once was really enough for me. I love Europe, but I love history and find all the places there fascinating. I've gone multiple times and plan to go back in the future.

I live in an area with a very similar landscape to Alaska, and for the year plus that I had it planned and booked, I just wasn't as excited about it as I was with our previous Caribbean cruises simply because of the similar landscape and wildlife. Bears, fish, eagles, mountains, snow, even dog mushing we have them all at home. I even have a Husky. I talked to everyone I knew who lives where I live and had been to Alaska just to see how they felt about it compared to home, and each one said, Alaska is AMAZING! GO! I just got back from Alaska a lil over a week ago, and I'm happy to say I loved every moment of it. I never once thought or said, "oh this reminds me of home" or "we have this at home" while on our trip. It truly is an amazing experience. I cannot wait to go back!

I think this is awesome! I think I also must be a little cynical or have cynical friends because everyone I talk to here who goes on an Alaskan cruise says it is just like home - with glaciers. Alaska is gorgeous, of course.

I've done several European cruises and one Alaskan. Im not as enamored with Europe as most people. If I had to pick I'd go with Alaska. My kids favorites were Alaska and Hawaii they preferred the US ports. Europe is a mixed bag in my opinion some ports are great some are meh. I really liked Norway, Iceland, and some the Baltic countries. I wasn't impressed with Southern Europe. If History and ruins are your thing you"d probably like the med. If nature is more appealing go with Alaska. If you want s little of both Norway and Iceland is ideal.

We just returned from the June 4th to 11th, 2018 Alaskan cruise. We have DH, DD18, DD15 and her DBF15. They loved Alaska alot. We were just discussing that they loved it, because it was just off the ship and more outdoor activities.
  • Skagway - walked around the town; horse adventure; the group encountered a black bear in the road
  • Juneau - walked around town, took Roberts Tramway; then, dog sledding camp, held puppies
  • Ketchikan - walked around town; 4x4 eBuggy tour; summoned a bald eagle
Overall, we loved this by far of all the cruises. It surpassed our Baltic cruise because of all the bald eagles that we saw with our own eyes.

If your family is geared towards more outdoors, Alaska would be the best bet.

If your family likes history like "Agent 86" mentioned, Med cruise would be the best bet. Our children does not really remember Europe when they were younger :(

I loved Alaska. I think it would be great for the ages of your kids. We did pretty active adventure excursions. I would not go in May though. It's much better weather in July. It was gorgeous. You can get 2 inside rooms. Yes Tracy Arm glacier has really receded. Endicott is much bigger. Skagway was one of the coolest places we have ever been. We also kayaked right up close to Mendenhall Glacier. We saw so much wildlife, we drove our own mini boats in Ketchikan. In Skagway we took the train to the Yukon area then biked back down the mountain (terrifying!!) But amazing. Memories for a lifetime. However if you want to see amazing history and museums and architecture then obviously Europe! :) Or if you don't like drizzly 65 degree weather in the summer!

Well I do not like drizzy 65 degree weather so I am hoping the rest would make up for it. The weather is the reason I am skeptical about Alaska. We live in IA and only get a couple good summer weather months so the though of my summer vacation being in the 60s sounds miserable...but I LOVE scenery.

What excursion was the kayaking? My oldest would love that.

Thanks

You're getting some really good posts here, but I was thinking about this and I don't think "Europe vs. Alaska" is detailed enough in that there is a big difference depending on where in Europe you are considering. The Med port days are long and the ship docks far outside most of the towns. In Alaska we loved how we could walk to town in both Skagway and Ketchikan (well, we were docked IN town there, so it was more just walking around town). The Med and N. European cruises are more ruins/cathedrals/palaces/museums heavy cruises compared to Alaska which is mostly nature. But the Norway/Norway Iceland cruises are docking in the city most places (like in Alaska) and are more nature oriented or a combo of nature days vs ruins/palaces, etc. centric. Also, the Med can be HOT, Alaska can be quite chilly, and N. Europe can run from warm to cold. Sorry to be long winded, but which cruises in Europe are you considering?

The cruise would probably be determined by dates. Most likely the Med. I do think the days would be long and tiring for my 2 youngest. None of us have left the country other than the caribbean/bahamas cruises so the thought of seeing other countries is what makes me lean towards the Med.

I've done several European cruises and one Alaskan. Im not as enamored with Europe as most people. If I had to pick I'd go with Alaska. My kids favorites were Alaska and Hawaii they preferred the US ports. Europe is a mixed bag in my opinion some ports are great some are meh. I really liked Norway, Iceland, and some the Baltic countries. I wasn't impressed with Southern Europe. If History and ruins are your thing you"d probably like the med. If nature is more appealing go with Alaska. If you want s little of both Norway and Iceland is ideal.

I would LOVE Norway and Iceland but they both occur during school times correct? With one in college and one in high school at that time that won't be possible

I loved our Alaska cruise but I’m from GA so any excuse to get out of the heat is great! I have a Med cruise this summer so I’ll report back then! One thing to consider - you may want to read the current “Middle America airfare to Europe” thread - cost of flying is a significant factor in going to Europe. For a family of 6, it can easily add $6,000 to $10,000 to total cost. (And that’s just coach.) I am a huge advocate of traveling overseas so dont let that deter you if that’s what you really want to do.

I would LOVE Norway and Iceland but they both occur during school times correct? With one in college and one in high school at that time that won't be possible

I guess it depends on the school calendar, but generally it's during summer. This summer it's in August, and I believe the 2019 one is in July.

We did the Med (from Venice to Barcelona, with Greece), the Iceland/Norway and the 7 night Alaska cruises, all with our 2 boys (who were aged from 7 to 15, spread over a couple of years.) It's true that the port days can be long in Europe, but for us, it was because we chose long port excursions to see as much as we could, whereas we chose more relaxed excursions for Alaska or did it by ourselves. Our boys found the European itineraries more memorable, but this might be because we are Canadian and see so much ice and pine trees in our lives that Alaska was less exotic for us. I agree with a previous poster that the Iceland and Norway cruise offers the best mix of grandiose nature/active adventures and discovering different cultures/architectures. But there is no wrong answer here, all those trips were absolutely beautiful and memorable! This summer, we are doing the Baltic, and our 16 year old says that this is the itinerary he is most looking forward to; apart from St Petersburg (where you need visas or group excursions), we will be visiting all the ports on our own, which will give us the freedom to make the most of our time there. Also, about once every trip, we have visited or done a port excursion with the kids for a half-day, returned the youngest or both of them to the boat for lunch, and then went sightseeing for 2 hours or so, just my husband and I, or with our oldest son. This is a nice way to avoid exhausting the younger kids yet enjoying each port as much as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter