Alaska - July 2019 Excursions - Please Advise

CassyB

Earning My Ears
We are traveling to Alaska on the Wonder in July with a 10.5 year old and an 11.5 year old. Excursions are really tough to decide! Here are a few questions, but please feel free to chime in with any other advice!
1. The Alaska Galore Tours in Juneau - anyone done this? Less expensive than Harv and Marv private (which we would have to do since we have kids) but sounded just as good
2. Other excursion companies - safe to do and better choice than thru cruise ship?
3. Contemplating dog sled on glacier - hard to justify the price
4. train ride in Skagway? keep kids' attention?
5. Tracy Arm- ok to skip this excursion? (I accidentally said ISP in prior post)
6. Ketchikan - totem poles, lumberjack show, other thoughts?

Really would appreciate any thoughts. Have read some of the prior threads but looking for any other info previous cruisers have to share. Thanks!

Last edited:
my two cents is to go independent. Your kids will be charged adult prices by Disney and you can probably get a cheaper child rate..

Skagway, I'd recommend doing the train one way. We had a lovely ride up, a few stops, lunch, and then took the train down.

We just did a helicopter to a glacier walk about, which was awesome. We didn't do the dog sledding but folks on our cruise that did said it was great. Both are $$$.

The lumberjack show is directly at the end of the dock, so you can book that last minute.

Can't comment on Icy Straight, my DCL cruise didn't go there. There is nothing there that sounds interesting to me the few times I've researched it.

We are going to Alaska in August 2019 - we also interested in any excursion advice. We will be traveling with an 8 year old.

In Ketchikan we did the lumber jack show and went to the Potlatch totem pole place. We did it in 2014, so it's been awhile. We booked with DCL, I thought we went to a third place on the tour, but maybe not. My dd was 6 yrs old the time, we all enjoyed both places. She's now 10 and I think she would still enjoy it if we were to do it again. As someone posted, the lumber jack place is just a few blocks from where we docked. However it was extremely crowded, not sure you would be able to just walk up and get seats if you tried to do it without reservations.

I went to ISP on RCCL a few years ago and you would have to pay me to get off the ship there if I ever picked an itinerary that took me back. Obviously manufactured for tourists only and it felt like it.

We went whale watching in ISP and had an amazing time. I second booking outside of DCL, you'll save money with the age of your kids. We did the train in both directions and wouldn't if we had it to do over again.

We haven't gone yet, but I've been doing a lot of research and for Skagway we've booked the Yukon rail and bus excursion with dogcart experience through Chilkoot Charters and Tours. I saw in one family's trip report and it had good reviews online.

We did: Juneau: Bus tour of city. Visit to Salmon hatchery. Mendenhall Glacier tour and free time.
Skagway: Trolley bus tour of town, cemetery, vantage points, etc. Bar hopping.
Ketchikan: Lumberjack Show. Totem Museum. It was the 4th of July, town had a big parade!!
No complaints about anything. Just 2 of us now, it was all we needed.

Last edited:
Highly recommend ziplining in Skagway. Still a fav excursion after multiple cruises. We booked on our own and saved some money too.

We booked all of our tours independently to have more of a say in what we did and save money.

Juneau: Rum Runners whale watching

Skagway: Beyond Skagway Tours through the Yukon and up to Emerald Lake

Ketchikan: Lumberjack Show and Crab Feast

Full reviews in my trip report (link in signature.) I'd 100% recommend all of our choices especially Rum Runner and Beyond Skagway.

My DS turned 10 a few days before our cruise and we saved a lot of money booking independently since everyone except Disney still considered him a child. Juneau: Rum Runners- Whale Watch- then we went to Mendenhall and took a cab back to the ship.
Skagway: Chilkoot Charters- bus up, train back with Dog cart ride.
Ketchikan: Southeast Sea Kayaks. We also had time to walk around.
We also did the Glacier Explorer on Glacier day

We cruised Alaska on Celebrity a few years ago with the same ports, and here's what we did:
  • Ketichkan - Lumberjack show tickets through the cruise line, lunch at the fish house next door (awesome fish and chips) and we wandered and shopped
  • Icy Strait Point - We took a cultural tour to Hoonah that ended in a native dance demonstration. While ISP itself is very tourist-oriented, they seemed to have a lot of local tours. We probably learned the most about the people who live there year-round on this tour, and it was very enjoyable.
  • Skagway - We did a tour where we canoed to Davidson Glacier (through the cruise line, though half the tour was either through Princess or direct). This was one of the highlights of the trip. After we returned, we had time to walk through downtown Skagway and do some shopping.
  • Juneau - We originally had no plans for this port. We got off the ship, walked over to the tour booths on the docks, and booked a Mendenhall Glacier + Whale Watch tour for 3 (2 adults, 1 child) all for child prices. It was a great deal compared to what we were looking at online prior to leaving. We only went over for bus tickets to the glacier, but were so glad we took them up on the deal - the whale watch tour was awesome, and we got to see a mom and baby humpback playing and breaching. It was spectacular!
All in all, there was not a bad port or a bad excursion in my opinion. I do think you need to book a tour on ISP to get outside the cruise port area and see the actual island, but the scenery was beautiful and there are some trails around ISP itself to do some short hikes and get some great photos. There was plenty of wildlife to see everywhere, and something to do even if you have nothing pre-planned.

I did the train ride when I had a 2.5 year old and I personally really enjoyed it. It was a bit long for him of course (and ended up being longer than planned because they added a short loop) but saw some really pretty scenery. We also did the lumberjack show - it's cheesy but good fun. Pretty sure we booked both of these on our own, didn't want to pay the high cruise line prices. Frankly this entire part of Alaska is fairly touristy and probably less 'authentic' than one might hope, but it seems like it's always this way with cruise ports.

the totem pole excursion is very very boring. We wanted a cheap excursion so we picked the totem pole and lumberjack show. Lumberjack show is good totem poles is very boring. IMO

Train ride is very nice well worth it.

It’s been a long time I was on dcl very first Alaska cruise beginning of May 2011. But still remember how boring the totem pole excursion was. I’m assuming it hasn’t gotten any better.

Skagway ...
I don't think that the kids would enjoy the train ride up and back --- my experience is that kids (young, tween, teens) typically need "excitement". The train is leisurely and has great scenery - but when have you hear a kids say "That trip had awesome scenery, and nothing else - it was awesome!"

They might like an excursion that goes to Liarsville.

in 2011 we did the "canoe to a glacier" tour - and absolutely loved it. Tour started on a smaller boat that went back down the fjord - and across to Davidson Glacier. They provided wet weather gear and the canoes. But don't worry, we didn't have to paddle very much - just to get away from the dock and back again ... there was a motor on the canoes!! We got to see (and feel) a glacier up close and personal ... but not too close - safety first. There was a constant flow of rocks / boulders coming down the glacier and off of its face.

Icy Point
We did a bear and whale watching tour. Didn't see any bears, but we did see Orcas up close and personal (unexpected by the crew of the boat) and saw the backs of many humpback whales (only one showed us his tail fluke from a distance). But as far as this or any other excursion in Icy Point - I don't really know...

Juneau
We have visited Mendenhall Glacier - it was one stop on a tour we had. We needed more time here - would have hiked the trail back to the waterfall / face of the glacier if we had the time

Whale watching is supposed to be the best here - but again when we were out, just a lot of backs and one brief view of a tail fluke

Summer Dog Camp - a surprisingly fun excursion (we are not dog people). Enjoyed meeting some of the dogs, the cart ride was a blast, our guide has raced in the Iditarod, and we go to hold a puppy. Pretty sweet!!

If it's a clear day, taking the Roberts tram up the mountain and just going for a hike can be an enjoyable time.

and if Money isn't an object - the Float plane trip over 5 glaciers to Taku Lodge for lunch is an awesome experience. The lodge even had a mama bear and her two cubs in a tree (they had a couple of people with long stick to help entice the bears to stay in the tree while guests were on site :))

Ketchikan
took a boat excursion out to Misty Fjord. It wasn't my favorite excursion, and I think kids would be board.
Did Zip Lines here in 2011 - and had a BLAST!!
I would look at excursions that go in smaller boats to look for wildlife - there are many such excursions offered here.

I don't know what type of room you have, but Deck 4 out on the deck has great views. Spend time out here looking for wildlife. And you can see a lot from decks 9 and 10 (along with easy access to the other side of the ship if other guests spots some critters. Remember, if you're lucky the temps will be only up to about 70. August is also the start of rainy season. Layers!

Have Fun

In: Skagway we did the Liarsville breakfast. Minimized the campiness, got a fire cooked breakfast and did gold panning. Kids (then 14/12/12) loved it and so did DW & I. Afterwards we hit the museum and drifted through town. Great day.

Juneau: we rented a car from Juneau car rental (very easy to pickup, right there at the pier) and did the town on our own. Great day. Mendenhall, Eagle Bay Shrine of St. Therese and downtown. Fantastic.

Ketchikan: used the free public bus to go to the Totem Pole museum. We'd gone to the University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology during our pre-cruise Vancouver trip, so in comparison, this was a let down. The Smithsonian is a letdown compared to UBC Anthro. We tried to replicate our Skagway experience and drift through town, but Ketchikan didn't seem to have the same magic so it was meh. The NPS Tongass center was quite good, though.

2. Other excursion companies - safe to do and better choice than thru cruise ship?
You will find great excursions that guarantee you'll be back to your ship in time for far less pricing than DCL.
I did a walk up reservation with M & M tours which was next to the dock in Skagway. They have kiosks in other ports, too. You can book ahead of time, which is what I'd recommend to make sure you get what you want.
4. train ride in Skagway? keep kids' attention?
The train ride is very nice. However, I think it could be very boring for kids. They do allow you stand outside on the platforms, but those areas are small and only a couple people can fit out there at a time. I'd look for something else to do. FWIW, I bought our tickets directly from the train company before the cruise and was seated in the same car as those who paid higher prices at DCL. There was no difference at all in what I got compared to what they got, other than I paid less.
6. Ketchikan - totem poles, lumberjack show, other thoughts?
I did a private tour of a rain forest hike and the totem poles. My daughter and I were the only people on the tour, so it was very relaxed and private. I would not have enjoyed the totem poles in a large group. I've been to Ketchikan twice and didn't like it either time.

we sailed last August with a 13 and 7 year old.
In Tracy Arm we stayed aboard ship and were very happy we did. Great view and no real need to get closer. My 7 year old was interested in the glacier and my 13 year old could have cared less.
In Juneau since our youngest was 7 it limited where we could go so we went on our only Disney excursion which was a whale watching and rainforest hike (very easy hike). The boys both enjoyed that.
In Ketchikan we booked a private kayak tour through a group that I heard about in the disboards in previous threads. Kayakketchikan.com, it was our family of four and a single teacher who grew up in the area and had returned to visit her family along with the lone guide. We were placed in three double kayaks and had a beautiful time paddling around away from the city. When the tour ended we had more then enough time to explore the city before it was time to go back to the ship.
In Skagway we also used a group that was recommended on the previous thread and rented a Jeep from green Jeep tours. It comes with a cd of info about the road that plays as you drive and you can take it as fast or as slow as you want and get out and hike a bit. We used it to drive up to the pass and our final stop we met up with the train. On the way back we stopped at a sled dog camp where you could take sled dog rides and or just play with the puppies. Both boys loved that stop but the car ride not so much. However the adults ( my husband and I)thought the views were amazing and we were able to travel at our own pace see similar views and even stop and hike a bit. Totally worth it to us

Also doing Alaska with kids.. Looking for suggestions.
Anyone experience Disney liarsville excursion? Was it fun for kids?

To piggyback on this post: has anyone with young kids traded off doing the Glacier Explorer on Tracey Arm Day? I think my DH would enjoy it but it would be wasted on the kids who would be happier meeting characters or playing in the club on deck. Was thinking of putting him on the 12pm one and myself on the 3pm if it's available, which would mean I would miss the start of dinner in the MDR that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter