• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska cruise question - room advice

We are 3 adults and 3 kids spread across 2 rooms. Goal was to book connecting verandah rooms but they are not available for our dates. Options are 1) to book 2 next door rooms not connecting or 2) we could book each room across the hall from each other. I was thinking of the latter in case there is something more interesting on the other side of the ship to look at.

Any advice?

Which side of the ship is better for an Alaska cruise?

How is deck 8 aft?

If you book staterooms across the hall, the second stateroom will be an inside. Those are only available on deck 6 and down. If you are looking at the deck 8 plan, staterooms facing each other on each side of the ship are separated by two hallways and a large inaccessible section reserved for crew members. You would have to walk to one of the staircases and back to reach the other.

You’d be better off booking two staterooms near each other on the same side of the ship.

In Alaska, the side of the ship really doesn’t matter. On sailing days, both sides are interesting and a lot of guests spend their observation time on the top deck, where both sides are visible.

Depending on location, 2 verandah rooms next to each other without a connecting door may still have connecting balconies.

We are 3 adults and 3 kids spread across 2 rooms. Goal was to book connecting verandah rooms but they are not available for our dates. Options are 1) to book 2 next door rooms not connecting or 2) we could book each room across the hall from each other. I was thinking of the latter in case there is something more interesting on the other side of the ship to look at.

Any advice?

Which side of the ship is better for an Alaska cruise?

How is deck 8 aft?
The room across from veranda is an inside stateroom, less expensive. Depending on the ages of the children, perfect for naps or early sleep schedule, since no outside light.

We just debarked an Alaska cruise Monday and we were a family of five, split across one verandah room and one interior room directly across the hall. It was nice, but we have already decided that next time we will get two connecting verandah rooms (or connected via balcony, if connected rooms are not available). I was in the interior room with one of our kids and my spouse was in the verandah with the other two kids and I kept finding myself wanting to go to their room to see the view outside while everyone was getting ready, or as we were turning in for the day.

Our arrangement was less expensive, so it was great in that regard.

I think either side of the ship is great in Alaska, because both sides had great views in the inside passage.

Enjoy your trip!

Do you mean other side of the hall (where one will be an inside stateroom), or other side of the ship, where you’d have to find a break in the rooms (3 points along the ship, where the elevator and stairs are) in order to cross over? I’d go for balconies next to each other in both scenarios a) I’d want a verandah no matter what and b) kids love to roam between rooms. I’d want to minimize my kids wanting to roam if in second scenario

Do you mean other side of the hall (where one will be an inside stateroom), or other side of the ship, where you’d have to find a break in the rooms (3 points along the ship, where the elevator and stairs are) in order to cross over? I’d go for balconies next to each other in both scenarios a) I’d want a verandah no matter what and b) kids love to roam between rooms. I’d want to minimize my kids wanting to roam if in second scenario
Deck 8 doesn’t show any interior rooms where I was looking so it looked like the rooms were directly across from each other. But it sounds like there is a middle area. It’s different when viewing a pdf deck plan vs how it shows on the room reservation website. So it was good to find out it means more going around.

Ah, I looked at a deck plan at that particular floor and see why it looks confusing! Probably all the “interior” space is for crew use - but there still is a middle part of the ship and you’d still have to go around. If you look at the official deck plans, the hallways are in bright white.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter