• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alamo Inn and Suites?

ccarolinec

Earning My Ears
My boyfriend and I are heading to DL in mid january, and since he hasn't been since he was maybe 8, the hotel choice was put in my hands. I frequent DL so I have experience with numerous motels/hotels, but this time I was looking for something cheap within walking distance. I booked Alamo Inn and Suites on a whim because of the extremely cheap rates, and stupidly did the non-refundable room. I thought it would be fine, but the reviews are less than spectacular. On the other hand, I've always wanted to stay at Candy Cane Inn and they do have rooms available for our stay. If I did book it, I'd lose the Alamo Inn reservation cost, but if it really is that bad i'm thinking it may be worth it.
My question: Has anyone stayed at Alamo Inn? What was your experience like? If you were in my shoes, would you switch hotels?
We are not picky at all, but bugs and dirty rooms are a big no for us.

@ccarolinec I can't speak to the current Alamo, but I always laugh about it. I stayed here as a very young child, then again in the mid-70s, and once again on a college road trip.

That said for reviews I tend to use Yelp more, if you look to see if they actually took the time to check-in and not just do a review I think you tend to get a better picture of the hotel. Alamo on Yelp Good lucky with you decision.

We are not picky at all, but bugs and dirty rooms are a big no for us.

I have a buddy who stayed there about a year ago. He was in LA on business (by himself) and added a couple of days on the end of his trip to go to Disneyland. So he spent no time at the hotel except to sleep and shower. And he was satisfied with it for what he paid. It's old and run down, but there weren't bugs and it wasn't dirty other than just the being overdue for some maintenance.

He walked to the parks and back the first day. The second day he took an uber. He said the walk was manageable, but a little long, and it was worth the cost of an uber for him.

He said he stay there with his family. Not because he felt unsafe, but it just wasn't as nice as he would want for a family vacation. He said he'd consider staying there alone again.

I wouldn't lose the money paid by booking somewhere else. You can easily just use the room for sleeping and showering. If you want to hang out at a hotel, you can do that at the DLH or GCH and enjoy their lounges and restaurants.

If your stay ends up being unacceptable and the manager cannot fix that for you, let them know that you'll do chargeback on your credit card. That costs them a lot more than whatever you paid and you'll get your money back.

I had booked Alamo Inn too for our trip next month, and then saw the reviews also. I probably would have kept it, but I wanted a hotel I could walk to, plus there was no coffee maker in room or breakfast.
Plus, I found another hotel just a few dollars more per night. For a quick, cheaper trip I would have have stayed with Alamo.
I don't think I would lose the money, especially if your there just to sleep and shower.
If you keep Alamo, please let us know how it was.
Have fun !

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Those are the main drawbacks...there being no coffee maker and breakfast and the fact that the walk is longer than it appears. I'll likely keep the reservation unless I really feel like it would be a drawback to our vacation.

I've stayed there 3x as a solo traveler and am staying again in April. It's clean and close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter