Alamo Experiences

Sandi

A proud Spartans fan.
I usually rent from National or Dollar. Have been happy with both. For my upcoming 2/17 through 2/22 trip, however, Alamo is significantly less expensive. How is their service?

I've tried about every discount combo I can find and nothing is beating the $160 (w/tax, etc) I got at Alamo (for a compact).

Any help is appreciated.

Just my business experience -- our company cancelled our nationwide contract with Alamo due to poor service and complaints, not just in FL locations, but everywhere. Poor or slow counter service, cars not available, reservations goofed up, wrong charges, etc. It was a nightmare.

I used to use Alamo in Orlando, but after one exceptionally bad experience, I gave up. I use Avis or Hertz now. I've found great codes on www.mousesavers.com that got me a premium car from Avis last Nov. for a week for about $230.

I too have had nothing but bad experiences with Alamo in the past. I will say that the bad experiences were a couple years back and this was before they merged operations with National at the Orlando Airport. There seems to be more negative comments here on DIS than positive in regard to Alamo, but there are a number of people who have used them with no complaint and many here actually prefer them.

My experiences, however, we so bad, I have decided to never use them again no matter what the savings.

We have gotten Alamo twice via Priceline. We neither loved nor hated them...I would use them again if the price was right, although I do like Avis better. The main reason for my Avis preference is that they assign you a car, and you pick it up and drive right out. With Alamo, you pick your own car after waiting in line at the counter, and then you must wait in line again to do more paperwork as you drive out. The cars have been okay...kinda dinged up and high mileage, but they've run fine. The wait at the counter hasn't been too bad...the first time, we got in at midnight, but a large international flight arrived at the same time and I think all of the passengers were using Alamo too! Thankfully, their counter was fully staffed so the wait was manageable. They didn't give us too much of a hard sell on the insurance, but hubby said they were really pushy with the foreign tourists.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

we had an excellent experience, at easter 2002 a very busy time. Recommend quick silver check in our car was waiting alls we did was go the to kiosk(??) and away we went

We just got back from our vacation, and we switched our ressie from Nat'l to Alamo for cost and their new location in the terminal. We got a rate of 198.60 including all fees for 9 days. When we got to the lot for our car pick-up, there were no full sized left so we found an attendant from Alamo who put us into an SUV at no add. charge. We had no problems at check-in or drop off. No hard sell on insurance coverages. They have about 6 or 7 stations at the counter so the small lines move rather fast. I wouldn't hesitate to use them next trip. Unlike in the past when they were off site, and gave you a certain car, now you go down the aisle for your size vehicle and choose the one you want and then drive to the exit window to verify your choice.

Thank you all. I think I'll give them a try (mostly because of the merger and the MUCH better price I got). I'll report back after our trip.

I would never use Alamo again. We had a rental car from them on our honeymoon as part of a package booked and PREPAID through AAA. When we dropped off the car, we found out after the fact that they charge our credit card for $140--even though everything was prepaid. We still have not gotten a refund. I consider them shakedown artists.

We used Alamo once on a prepackaged deal and the experience was very bad. My wife will not let me consider them now.

How about recent Alamo experiences; since they've been at the airport, and sharing space with National? I know before that there were many negative experiences, but I'm hoping it has improved. :):):)

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:

I started This Thread before I saw this one.

We had a great experience with Alamo, at a great price. Looks like they are really trying to get thier act together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter