• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKV, SSR or BLT - size, disabled access etc

razster

Proud Owner @ AKV - 16yr DIS Veteran
Hi all,

for the first time ever I will be travelling disabled. I will need to boo an accessible room. I am also trying to take in other considerations. I had chosen BLT as it was close to a lot without my wife having to pack my chair and various other bits and drive everywhere. Also I can relatively independently get to most areas on an ecv. It would be my wife, two kids and I. In a post on another part of the disboards the size of BLT studios has been mentioned as a significant issue... I will need adequate space to get about in my wheelchair and also we could be there for three weeks (hopefully) so at SSR and AKV kidani I lose the convenience and proximity but guess I gain slight increase in room size? What would you do? I would appreciate some views and opinions, thanks!

At BLT you won't be able to park an ECV in unit with both beds in use. The rooms are tiny.

You would be better off at Poly, AKV or OKW.

You need at least a one bedroom villa at BLT to give you the space you need. Even without a wheelchair, BLT studios are tiny. OKW studios are the largest of all the DVC studios. Plus you get two real beds (no sleeper sofa) in the studio. You'd need either a ground floor or an accessible studio since there are studios on all floors of the building and buildings don't have an elevator.

I personally would strongly consider OKW.
While I agree OKW has the most room - The lack of elevators and no guarantee of ground floor rooms make me hesitant to recommend - unless you specifically book a Disability room

While I agree OKW has the most room - The lack of elevators and no guarantee of ground floor rooms make me hesitant to recommend - unless you specifically book a Disability room
I believe all the wheelchair-accessible rooms are either on the first floor, or are in the three buildings with elevators.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter