AKV regrets?

I bought AKV direct because it was the only DVC resort available. I have some regrets because Poly or WL are my preferred resorts. AKV's location is not convenient for MK. I spend most of my time at MK and usually have a rental car to drive to the other three parks. Therefore, I like to stay at MK resort. I've only stayed at AKV once because none of the MK DVC resorts were available at the 7-month mark. With that said, AKV is a beautiful resort and is my go-to DVC resort if I cannot book at MK DVC resort.

I’ve been trying to decide between AKL, AUL and BRV. I have made low offers on all 3 and struck out. I made an offer today on AKL and am waiting to hear back. Hoping my news is as good as yours.

@Bucketfoot I hope you pass ROFL quickly.

AKV is a fantastic resort, and you’ll be happy to have a contract there. We have three contracts of various sizes at AKV and have many wonderful memories of our family staying there. The savanna views, African art, and dining options are wonderful. I find a serenity at AKV that nicely balances the hectic pace of the parks, so being “further from MK” is a benefit in my view, though I acknowledge others feel it a deterrent.

As others have said, the diversity of room choices is a plus, and other than value/club, everything is reliably available even at 7 months. To me, being able to book without stress is a major advantage. I can book at 11 months or thereafter without fear that what I need is unavailable. As much planning that goes into a Disney trip, having a small thing you don’t have to worry about is a nice touch. You’ll find this is a bit of an unspoken benefit of AKV. Also, the differences between Kidani and Jambo make AKV seem like you have two DVC resorts/options.

Best wishes on a quick ROFL process, and I hope you enjoy your new AKV home!

I kind of get that, but we would be booking split stays combined with VGF where we currently own. So the benefit of booking the whole trip at 11 months would be of value to me :)
This has become my favorite split stay… after the action and excitement of VGF, I just love the tranquility and laid back feel of AKV. Availability depends on a few factors… Jambo which I prefer, books up more quickly than Kidani, especially at peak times, accessible rooms can be a problem at 7 months and if you want to save points with standard view these also may be gone.

I did a split last month VGF/AKV for the holidays and it was perfect. Already have it booked for this year!

Best wishes for ROFR on your new contract!

We are thinking of buying a smaller resale contract at AKV to use primarily for split stays. Do people who have AKV as their home resorts have any regrets about buying there?
We bought at AKL via resale in 2016, then a smaller direct at SSR in 2017. We have zero regrets about AKL. The only thing we see as a downside is, it's the furthest resort from the theme parks (except AK) so the bus rides take a tad longer to get to the different parks.

We bought at AKL via resale in 2016, then a smaller direct at SSR in 2017. We have zero regrets about AKL. The only thing we see as a downside is, it's the furthest resort from the theme parks (except AK) so the bus rides take a tad longer to get to the different parks.
All due respect, but I've seen that idea thrown around out here a lot, that AKL/AKV is the furthest from the theme parks. And I don't think that's actually true. It really depends on the parks. If you stay at AKL and do MK every day by bus, then yes - long bus rides. But as a comparison - if you do each of the 4 theme parks once in your trip. The combined bus distances from AKL and from SSR are almost identical (as per Google Maps). Other Disney resorts would actually be longer combined distances than AKL. I just try to point out that AKL isn't as far away from everything as is sometimes portrayed! It just feels more remote - which we love!

We are thinking of buying a smaller resale contract at AKV to use primarily for split stays. Do people who have AKV as their home resorts have any regrets about buying there?
We are newer owners and just took a trip with our sons (adults) and their girlfriends. Had 3 studios (ours was a value, theirs standards) and I have to say they were really impressed with the resort. Having the opportunity to view giraffe, wildebeasts, ostrich etc while having their coffeeon the balcony in the AM was the best part of their trip. No regrets at all here, including the much criticized transportation issue as it was excellent as well.

All due respect, but I've seen that idea thrown around out here a lot, that AKL/AKV is the furthest from the theme parks. And I don't think that's actually true. It really depends on the parks. If you stay at AKL and do MK every day by bus, then yes - long bus rides. But as a comparison - if you do each of the 4 theme parks once in your trip. The combined bus distances from AKL and from SSR are almost identical (as per Google Maps). Other Disney resorts would actually be longer combined distances than AKL. I just try to point out that AKL isn't as far away from everything as is sometimes portrayed! It just feels more remote - which we love!
Agreed, recently stayed at AKL and the bus ride to Epcot/HS didn't seem bad at all. It was really only noticeable for MK. But if you're not as big of a MK fan it doesn't matter as much. I'd really only care if I were making 3+ visits to MK during a trip.

Agreed, recently stayed at AKL and the bus ride to Epcot/HS didn't seem bad at all. It was really only noticeable for MK. But if you're not as big of a MK fan it doesn't matter as much. I'd really only care if I were making 3+ visits to MK during a trip.
Our experience in early Dec 2022 ..... From Jambo House, all are AM commutes although not at rope drop
MK 16 minute
EPcot 10 minutes
AK 6 minutes
HS 12 minutes

Return trips probably a little longer since they stopped at Kidani prior to Jambo

Not sure of the breakdown, but Jambo has less DVC rooms than Kidani, so they do usually fill up earlier.
AKV has more villa choices than any other DVC resort. Total villa count of the 2 buildings combined is 458 (708 max if all lock off 2 br.s are booked as separate studios & 1 br.s.) Jambo has 134 villas & Kidani has 324 villas. When it comes to booking your choices are Jambo value (studio, 1 br., lock off 2 br.,) standard view Jambo (studio, 1 br., lock off 2 br.,) standard view Kidani (studio, 1 br., lock off 2 br., dedicated 2 br., GV,) savanna view Jambo (studio, 1 br., lock off 2 br., GV,) savanna view Kidani (studio, 1 br., lock off 2 br., dedicated 2 br., GV,) club Jambo (studio, 1 br., lock off 2 br..) That’s 23 different possible booking categories!
If you look at the map, the MK park area is furthest away from all the other parks. AKV is very close to AK & closer to Epcot & DHS than the MK resorts are to those parks. I think the difference in perception is that AKV is totally reliant on busses & w/ busses you don’t know how long you’ll have to wait for one. Of all the WDW DVC properties AKV is the only one that doesn’t have an alternate transportation option to somewhere, eg VGF, BLT, Poly have monorails, boats, and walking; Riviera has Skyliner; BWV & BCV have walking, Skyliner, & boats; OKW has boats to DS; SSR has boats & walking to DS; BRV & CCV have boats.
People who drive seem to love Kidani’s under the building parking & multiple elevator banks making it easy to park relatively near their villas.

AKV has more villa choices than any other DVC resort. Total villa count of the 2 buildings combined is 458 (708 max if all lock off 2 br.s are booked as separate studios & 1 br.s.) Jambo has 134 villas & Kidani has 324 villas. When it comes to booking your choices are Jambo value (studio, 1 br., lock off 2 br.,) standard view Jambo (studio, 1 br., lock off 2 br.,) standard view Kidani (studio, 1 br., lock off 2 br., dedicated 2 br., GV,) savanna view Jambo (studio, 1 br., lock off 2 br., GV,) savanna view Kidani (studio, 1 br., lock off 2 br., dedicated 2 br., GV,) club Jambo (studio, 1 br., lock off 2 br..) That’s 23 different possible booking categories!

If you look at the map, the MK park area is furthest away from all the other parks. AKV is very close to AK & closer to Epcot & DHS than the MK resorts are to those parks. I think the difference in perception is that AKV is totally reliant on busses & w/ busses you don’t know how long you’ll have to wait for one. Of all the WDW DVC properties AKV is the only one that doesn’t have an alternate transportation option to somewhere, eg VGF, BLT, Poly have monorails, boats, and walking; Riviera has Skyliner; BWV & BCV have walking, Skyliner, & boats; OKW has boats to DS; SSR has boats & walking to DS; BRV & CCV have boats.
People who drive seem to love Kidani’s under the building parking & multiple elevator banks making it easy to park relatively near their villas.

And for those of us who like to walk, OKW to DS is definitely doable. I've made that walk multiple times and don't think it much different than the walk from BCV to HS which I've also done multiple times. Many people may see those walks as non-starters however.

And for those of us who like to walk, OKW to DS is definitely doable. I've made that walk multiple times and don't think it much different than the walk from BCV to HS which I've also done multiple times. Many people may see those walks as non-starters however.
We haven't been to OKW since before the pandemic. Is the walking/jogging path from OKW to DS still open and available? I'd like to do that path again myself on an upcoming OKW stay. Thanks for the reminder - sorry, not AKV related!!

We haven't been to OKW since before the pandemic. Is the walking/jogging path from OKW to DS still open and available? I'd like to do that path again myself on an upcoming OKW stay. Thanks for the reminder - sorry, not AKV related!!

I was @ OKW in Oct. 2020 and was able to do the walk then. Can't see any reason way it would be closed now.

zero regrets on buying AKV. We love it there. However, we have yet to stay on OUR (we rented points prior to purchaseing) points since purchasing in 2019. We have used our points at Riviera, Beach Club Villas, Polynesian villas, Copper Creek villas and Boardwalk Villas. I used my points once for my daughter to stay at Bay Lake Tower also. I have had many trips booked there at 11 months but if BWV or BCV pop up at 7 months or a waitlist is filled then I switch ONLY because we go when festivals are happening and we like the location of the Epcot resorts.

Which is why a split stay with AKV and VGF or another monorail works so well :teeth:

No regrets here buying AKV. AK is my favorite park and AKV is my favorite resort. I love getting up in the morning to walk out on the balcony to greet the animals. There is nowhere else I can ever do that! I probably stay there at least once every year or 2 and often more often than that. I never find the distances that bad to the parks. My first stay at AKL was all the reason I needed to purchase DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter