• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKV advice please

mickeymom629

DIS Veteran
So, DD21 and I are going to WDW for the 2014 PHM in Feb. I would love to stay at BLT, but I'm not sure there will be availability for what I want and we would only stay 3 nights (Fri,Sat,Sun) because of the points.

We were talking and we have never stayed at AKV, which looks wonderful. I was thinking we could stay in a Jambo (any view) studio for 1 or 2 (Thurs, maybe Fri) nights to save points and then switch to a Kidani SV 1 bedroom for 2 or 3 nights (maybe Fri, Sat and Sun).

How likely do you think this request would be and do you have any other advice regarding these room requests?

Have any of you stayed at AKV during marathon weekends?

Standard and savanna view rooms, both buildings, will be readily available at 7 months out (and even beyond). For savanna studio at Jambo, I would request view of Arusha savanna and room along Zebra Trail. Arusha is the savanna in the middle of the building and Zebra Trail is the right side of the u-shaped building and rooms facing Arusha there face west and thus avoid blinding sun in the morning.

For standard 1BR at Kidani, request room near the Rafiki elevator. that gives you pool view, chance of partial savanna view, and shortest walks to pool via the Rafiki elevator. If by SV you meant savanna view, request one of the following: (a) close to lobby, (b) close to community hall, or (c) Sunset Savanna view, close to Rafiki elevator. The first two automatically put you on Sunset savanna which has giraffes and avoid the extremely long walks from room to lobby, bus stop, store, and restaurant. The third one does the same and puts you closest to the pool.

We have stayed at Kidani in Feb during marathon weekend. We always pick Kidani and have never tried Jambo. I didn't notice a huge difference because of marathon weekend but there were a lot of race participants staying there. Seems one morning the Mara was a bit busier but it didn't bother us as we aren't usually in a hurry.

Our problem was we were leaving the day of the marathon. My husband took a bus to get our rental car so we could drive to the airport (Sanford). HUGE mistake. Luckily through phone calls we were able to switch our rental car pick up to the Boardwalk location. Maybe the Swan. I think the bus driver is the one who recommend to forget trying to get to the rental car near the TTC. We did make it to the airport but it was close.

Standard and savanna view rooms, both buildings, will be readily available at 7 months out (and even beyond). For savanna studio at Jambo, I would request view of Arusha savanna and room along Zebra Trail. Arusha is the savanna in the middle of the building and Zebra Trail is the right side of the u-shaped building and rooms facing Arusha there face west and thus avoid blinding sun in the morning.

For standard 1BR at Kidani, request room near the Rafiki elevator. that gives you pool view, chance of partial savanna view, and shortest walks to pool via the Rafiki elevator. If by SV you meant savanna view, request one of the following: (a) close to lobby, (b) close to community hall, or (c) Sunset Savanna view, close to Rafiki elevator. The first two automatically put you on Sunset savanna which has giraffes and avoid the extremely long walks from room to lobby, bus stop, store, and restaurant. The third one does the same and puts you closest to the pool.

Thanks for the super advice!! I'm starting to get really excited about the thought of staying there!

AmyY - did you participate in the marathon or just coincidentally stay at that time? I'm wondering how the EXPO buses ran and how early to catch the bus on marathon morning.

So, DD21 and I are going to WDW for the 2014 PHM in Feb. I would love to stay at BLT, but I'm not sure there will be availability for what I want and we would only stay 3 nights (Fri,Sat,Sun) because of the points.

We were talking and we have never stayed at AKV, which looks wonderful. I was thinking we could stay in a Jambo (any view) studio for 1 or 2 (Thurs, maybe Fri) nights to save points and then switch to a Kidani SV 1 bedroom for 2 or 3 nights (maybe Fri, Sat and Sun).

How likely do you think this request would be and do you have any other advice regarding these room requests?

Have any of you stayed at AKV during marathon weekends?

just curious on why move from Jambo to Kidani? Seems like it be easier to just move to a one bdrm in Jambo? I have done several room changes there and its so easy just to go down to the lobby and checkout/in to your new room. Unless you are wanting the extra bathroom in the one bedroom?

I rented points at AKV during 2010 marathon weekend... was staying in a 2BR value villa (cheap points cost + location close to lobby = win)

Loved it, definitely one of my favorite properties.

just curious on why move from Jambo to Kidani? Seems like it be easier to just move to a one bdrm in Jambo? I have done several room changes there and its so easy just to go down to the lobby and checkout/in to your new room. Unless you are wanting the extra bathroom in the one bedroom?

Or getting an ensuite bathroom in the master.. I'd move for it.

Or getting an ensuite bathroom in the master.. I'd move for it.

:thumbsup2 I'm not entirely sure what you said but I think you got the idea of why I'm moving! True, it's just two of us girls... It's the same amount of points for 1 bedroom in either Kidani or Jambo, correct?

Will we be able to leave our luggage at the front desk, go to the MK and wait for our 1 bedroom to be ready?

I am also hoping to have a few groceries (and wine) delivered to the 1 bedroom from Garden Grocer. Any thoughts on that?

From Wikipedia:

Ensuite
An ensuite bathroom or ensuite shower room (also en suite, ensuite and other variations) is a bathroom or shower room attached to and only accessible from a bedroom.

I suppose only Kidani, BLT, and the older bldgs. at OKW are true ensuite.

But unlike other DVC's Jambo bathroom is not even connected to the master, and you'd only have 1 vanity, so yes I think Kidani would work better.

Bell services has large commercial refrigerators to store food when it is not being transported.

From Wikipedia:

Ensuite
An ensuite bathroom or ensuite shower room (also en suite, ensuite and other variations) is a bathroom or shower room attached to and only accessible from a bedroom.

'learn something new everyday :blush:

But unlike other DVC's Jambo bathroom is not even connected to the master, and you'd only have 1 vanity, so yes I think Kidani would work better.
I think so too, but knowing that it's not connected is also interesting since I was going to give DD the master bedroom so I can have my coffee/breakfast early and not disturb her.
Bell services has large commercial refrigerators to store food when it is not being transported.
Thanks! I will have the groceries delivered about 4 p.m. on the day we move.

I am really getting excited about this trip! I wish DH would come along! I feel guilty about trying a new resort without him :rolleyes1

We just stayed there but taking to the runners everything ran very smooth. I thought the bus times were early but I suppose they were perfect for the race. You can probably search on-line and find the times. I think you are kind of locked in. We talked to people after the Expo and the race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter