• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKLV, OKW, or SS?

SevenWonkas

Mouseketeer
(Note - I am guessing on these abbreviations and names - AKLV = Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas, OKW = Old Key West, SS = Saratoga Springs)

Hello everyone! DH and I bought some DVC points a couple months ago, and all the paperwork finally went through and we got our DVC number! :thumbsup2 We are staying at WDW for a few days after our DCL cruise in May, so we are excited to be able to use our points for the stay. On the trip will be us, and our 2-year old son. We looked for 2-bedroom villas (using our 2013, 2014, and 2015 points) and the only properties available were OKW, AKLV, and SS. We booked SS yesterday, to get something reserved, but now are curious if there would be a better option out there? Here's the advantages to each resort, as I see it…

AKLV - Animals, of course. We would only be able to get a standard room view here, but walking around to see the animals would be nice.

SS - we can walk to DTD. Which is an advantage to us because parking sucks there and Disney transportation takes forever. We like taking walks in the evenings.

OKW - boat transportation to DTD. And it's a big resort, so we'd be able to take some nice walks in the evening.

We will have a car. We will buy food at the grocery store to make in our room, so proximity to the main building/restaurants is not a big deal.

On another note, although we could only do a standard view room with our points at AKLV, DH said we were only one point short for a savannah view. He thinks we could "rent" that point from Disney and then get a savannah view… Does anyone know how this works?

Just looking for opinions from others. thanks!:santa:

Why not just try one this trip, and another next time? Everyone has different favorites, and you won't know which one(s) you like most until you try them. You'll be owners for a while, after all!

Of those three, I've only personally stayed at OKW, and it was great. You can park right outside your door (if you have a car) the villas are very spacious, and the grounds are lovely and relaxing. But, I've enjoyed each of the others I've tried (BCV, BWV, and VWL) and we are looking forward to our upcoming BLT stay.

One thought: with your travel party, you might consider a 1BR to stretch your points a little bit. This would be a little less convenient, but maybe not terrible. If your son naps (and even if he doesn't at home, he might well at Disney) he can nap in the master while you have the living room to yourselves. In the evening you'd be cut off from the LR while he's sleeping, but at OKW the balconies are very large and a nice place to hang out. AKV-Kidani has two bathrooms in the 1BR, which might come in handy as well.

If you go with a 1BR at OKW, be sure to ask for a room in building 30 or higher. Those have an extra door between the living room and bathroom. In buildings 29 and below, you have to walk through the master bedroom to get to the bath, which would make nap time awkward.

I agree, just pick one thats available and go for it. Document your stay, what you liked about the resort and what you didn't. Next time, pick a different resort.

After a few years you will have your favorites and you can forget about the rest.

:earsboy: Bill

oh, we definitely plan on sampling our way around the DVC properties eventually! Good point! I guess a better question would have been what are the advantages/disadvantages of each property, and little tips of what to request/remember. Like your tip of asking for a 1-bedroom at OKW in building 30 or higher. That would make things easier if we didn't have to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom.

There were more options if we searched for 1-bedrooms. Making the points stretch isn't a huge deal for us. We are Marriott Vacation Club owners too, and have been quite spoiled. We've been on over 6 vacations with DS, and he always has his own room. Our units with MVC were purchased before they switched to a points-based system like DVC, so we get 2-bedroom units automatically. :)

We've stayed in all the resorts you mentioned and enjoyed them all.

SSR-I don't think SSR will have the bridge completed when you are there, so you'll have to take the boat/bus or walk there by way of West Side.
You can park very close to your room, the grounds are beautiful, pools are nice-Grandstands had a nice water play area for your DS.

OKW- huge units, park at your front door, nice grounds

AKV- we stayed in a GV in Jambo which has nothing that can compare to it at WDW in my opinion, incredible!

We are Marriott Vacation Club owners too, and have been quite spoiled
I know what you mean. We own several timeshares, and think of a 2BR as the minimum acceptable size for the four of us.

....(snip).......
On another note, although we could only do a standard view room with our points at AKLV, DH said we were only one point short for a savannah view. He thinks we could "rent" that point from Disney and then get a savannah view& Does anyone know how this works....

It's actually quite easy, but can only be done for reservations made 7 months or less prior to arrival. You just tell MS that you'd like to buy a one-time point to complete the reservation. They cost $15 each and you can buy up to 24 in one transaction per use year. MS takes care of all the details.

We're going to try an AKV savanna view for our next trip - we'll be traveling with family, 2 of who will be 5 years old. Really looking forward to balcony time. :) FWIW, I also think you would be very happy in a 1 bedroom at either OKW or AKV. They're both quite large.

DW and I have a post-cruise trip planned in May. We are staying at AKL in a value studio. We have stayed at all the resorts in WDW except for VGF, planning that trip for next year.
As PP mentioned each has their advantages and as DVC members you can look long-term at staying at each.
Our DGS(2) loves the pool play areas at both SSR and AKL, especially the one at Kidani. He would stay there all day and not eat if we did not make him do so.
You can not beat the size of the rooms at OKW and the large balconies.
The walkway to DTD from SSR is currently closed and will most likely still be in May.
Look into the availability of a value 1-bdrm at AKL you can save a lot of points over a 2-bdrm standard.

You all are so helpful. :) Thanks so much for the info about the walkway from SSR to DTD. Before I had our son, I was able to spend so much time Disney planning (okay, Disney obsessing& I looooved doing Disney research!). I don't have that much time anymore, so I had no clue the walkway was closed.

You all are so helpful. :) Thanks so much for the info about the walkway from SSR to DTD. Before I had our son, I was able to spend so much time Disney planning (okay, Disney obsessing… I looooved doing Disney research!). I don't have that much time anymore, so I had no clue the walkway was closed.

Adding in my two cents...

We stayed at SSR last February with DS (2 at the time) and niece and nephew (1 and 3) and they all loved it! There are three great pool options (there is also a quiet pool that looks nice) 2 with zero entry, and each has its own splash/kids area. Our favorite was the Paddock pool...large zero entry area, huge kids area with two small kid slides and such. We stayed in the treehouse villas and didn't find anything "too far" as others sometimes mention. We do like to walk though. In November, though we weren't staying there, we went over to eat at their QS, we love it so much, and walked to DTD via the road. You are really only on a "road" within SSR and once past the "back" gate, you get right on a sidewalk. We did not think it was a big deal at all. The boat over is nice too and DS loves that.
Since you plan on trying many, its just a question of which one you want to start with!
BTW, we never share a room with DS....unfortunately we give him the BR of a 1 bedroom and use the usually comfortable pull out for ourselves. Hahaha. Until we get more points or want to travel less often...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter