• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKL Value Studios - How difficult during the summer

CanadaDisney05

DIS Veteran
I'm sure it's difficult, given the great pricing, but how difficult is it to get the value studios at 11 months if you own at AKL?

Edit: A bit of background on my intentions. I am a numbers guy and am looking for the most affordable way to stay in deluxe accommodations. We travel in the summer as my SO is a teacher. My goal would be to move around and try different resorts. We are open to split stays. Originally, I was looking at SSR as this seems to be the best value, and staying at SSR as a last resort (no pun intended) would be a big upgrade on the way we traditionally travel. Now I'm thinking that AKL may be a better option. My thinking is that with that 11 month booking window, if I am up at 7 AM (or whatever time it opens up at) at the 11 month window, I can grab the value studios. This would save a lot of points, and allow me to rent my excess. If don't get it, then I can try the next week. If I don't end up getting one, then I still have enough points to stay in a standard. Although the numbers favor SSR because of the lower maintenance fees, this would easily be offset by staying in the value rooms at AKL once in a while, and renting the excess points.

Last edited:
Difficult. Do not buy points based on an assumption of regularly booking AKV Value. There are 8 dedicated and 10 lock-offs, and that is it.

Most people have to walk them to get them.

Summer is less competitive than most times of year, but definitely buy enough points for standard view as a backup (or be willing to stay fewer days if you can only get standard view).

I have booked value studios 4 times now, each time right at 8am 11 mounts out. I even got one for Thanksgiving week last year. Still, they are gone within a minute after 8am so you have to be quick. I have enough points for standard view and consider it a bonus if I can get the value on occasion to save points.

You mentioned renting the extra points saved if you got the value room- just keep in mind that you're talking about a pretty small number of points which might be hard to rent. Plus you'll be tempted to stay longer ;)

If you are flexible, very very flexible, it's a solid maybe.

I just booked 72 days out and the dates I was looking at in July had some values open for a few nights here and there. I needed a 1 bedroom for 5 though so we didn't book it. But there was a couple of nights available.

I would not buy and plan to book the values. I would not buy and plan to be able to book studios in most places. Studios are getting harder to find in many resorts as most people buy in planning to just stay in studios.

I'm sure it's difficult, given the great pricing, but how difficult is it to get the value studios at 11 months if you own at AKL?

Edit: A bit of background on my intentions. I am a numbers guy and am looking for the most affordable way to stay in deluxe accommodations. We travel in the summer as my SO is a teacher. My goal would be to move around and try different resorts. We are open to split stays. Originally, I was looking at SSR as this seems to be the best value, and staying at SSR as a last resort (no pun intended) would be a big upgrade on the way we traditionally travel. Now I'm thinking that AKL may be a better option. My thinking is that with that 11 month booking window, if I am up at 7 AM (or whatever time it opens up at) at the 11 month window, I can grab the value studios. This would save a lot of points, and allow me to rent my excess. If don't get it, then I can try the next week. If I don't end up getting one, then I still have enough points to stay in a standard. Although the numbers favor SSR because of the lower maintenance fees, this would easily be offset by staying in the value rooms at AKL once in a while, and renting the excess points.
This is a great strategy, when it works. More and more we are seeing people buy DVC with the intention of booking studios, specifically standard and value studios. These are by far the most highly sought after room categories for the very reasons you laid out...it is a maximization of value. If staying at SSR is a viable option to you then you will be fine, because you will likely be able to book a SSR studio at 7 months out. And although many are against it, if you truly want to guarantee a value studio I would strongly recommend walking the reservation. That said, they can change the reservation system at any time that could possibly eliminate walking, although that is not likely.

Bottom line, nothing is guaranteed, but it if you have a plan and stick to it more times than not it will work out.

My thinking is that with that 11 month booking window, if I am up at 7 AM (or whatever time it opens up at) at the 11 month window, I can grab the value studios.

I still wouldn't buy thinking this is a regular occurrence. Because there are so few, there may only be 1 (or 0) available for booking on your check-in date.

But when I did the DVC tour they said I could book AKV Value rooms for a super low point cost, if you bought at CCV. I then told them that they should not even show this because they are almost all gone at 11 months. The guide was shocked or at least pretended to be.

I got AKL Value in September with a waitlist at 7 months, so I'd say for an owner it is possible to get it at 11 months from time to time (Concierge, that is even more difficult). However if your numbers work only if you book the Value rooms, then buy elsewhere, because as others have said, you should never count on them being available.
I think the best overall value of all the DVC system is buying SSR and then book an AKL standard room. They are very cheap and there are enough of them to be often available at 7 months, almost a given outside fall frenzy and some race week end and holidays. Jambo standard is a bit more difficult than Kidani, but very possible and gives you a high chance to get a room that was originally a savannah view and reclassified as standard after complaints. I got one last year and while it's true I would have been upset if I had got it paying the premium for savannah, as a standard room it was amazing.

My feelings are that you should not purchase AKV with the expectation that you will be able to book Value studios...ever. If you are able to book one, then you got pixie dusted. But if you don’t own at AKV, you pretty much have a near-zero chance of getting one.

The question is: Do you love AKV so much that it doesn’t matter that it has one of the biggest hikes in dues of any WDW property last year? (and AKV had high dues to begin with!) Keep in mind that it's not the purchase price that costs you the most over time. It’s the dues.

We’ve owned since 2016 and have booked value studios 5 times—twice over Christmas and three times in the summer. We’ve found that the summer tends to be easier—while four of the trips were booked right at 11 months, we picked up one value studio for July at 6 months last year and got another value studio for my parents about a month out. We like split stays and have had great luck switching out (often opening up a few value nights) for BC (2 times), Boardwalk, Poly, and GF. I think the summer timeframe, split stays, lots of stalking, and good luck have helped!

I'll add, only anecdotally and with a STRONG YMMV warning, that our trips (similar timeframe as yours) have always had full availability first thing at 11 months. I completely understand this is not always the case and bookings may be harder to come by in the future, but I would say your ideal situation is possible. Over the past three years especially, I've noticed spotty value availability as 8/9 months out as well. If you're as flexible as you say and you're buying enough points for a standard room anyhow, then I would say buy at AKV over SSR - full disclosure: I loathe SSR and love AKV - as MF are all headed up from where they are now.

If your expectations are that you will sometimes have to stay in a standard over a value and you're fine with that, then buy at AKV. If you buy at SSR, you will likely never be able to stay in a value room.

From my experience at Kidani, at 11 months, we have had no trouble booking a studio at 11 months in the last 3 years.
Now, if you are trying to book at 7 months or less, I understand it may be much more difficult.

From my experience at Kidani, at 11 months, we have had no trouble booking a studio at 11 months in the last 3 years.
Now, if you are trying to book at 7 months or less, I understand it may be much more difficult.

The value studios are at Jambo and a different category of room from the regular Kidani studios and in much more limited supply.

See post number two of below thread to see how difficult it can be to book a value studio. Value studios are just about the first in DVC inventory to go. However, if you are flexible to the extent that you don't need a specific week - and you get on at 8 AM at 11 months, there's a pretty good chance you can get one. I've booked them 4 times myself without much walking (see other threads for what that means).

However, I severely advise against purchasing DVC with the express plan on only booking value rooms. More and more people are after them all the time and it seems to get worse and worse to get them. I always take the attitude that IF I can get one and save the point - great - but if not a standard room for a week is still one of the best values on site point wise. It's a bigger room (315 Sq Ft vs 365 Sq Ft) and gives you all the same resort amenities - so plan on the standard room and be pleased with the value.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-studios-1-bedrooms-june-2018-update.3689931/

Forget Summer - I bought AKL points via resale, and have yet to find Value Studios available at 11 MONTHs, for January-February. Every time I check, the first day of the 11Month booking I search for is unavailable.
I had hoped to get at least 1 week in a Value Studio, with the 11 Month advantage. It's very frustrating!
I find the Concierge level just as unobtainable.
ANY TIPS ???

Forget Summer - I bought AKL points via resale, and have yet to find Value Studios available at 11 MONTHs, for January-February. Every time I check, the first day of the 11Month booking I search for is unavailable.
I had hoped to get at least 1 week in a Value Studio, with the 11 Month advantage. It's very frustrating!
I find the Concierge level just as unobtainable.
ANY TIPS ???
Not sure what has driven the change, I suspect the ability to modify online was one of the drivers, but it has gotten more and more difficult over the past 3 years. Some members browser/computer/settings allows them to search for availability before 8am and just hit "Continue" at 8:00:00, others (like me now, I used to be in the first group) have to do the search after 8:00:00 or they get the "booking too early error". If you are in the second group, you will not win the 8AM race. Or just waitlist for 1 night and stalk for availability the next morning. Pick up single nights from the walker droppings to get your reservation. For short stays you might be able to pick up a few consecutive days.

I was recently able to modify my AKL reservation in a Jambo 1 bdrm to a Club Level 1 bdrm about a week after my 11 month availability, so things can happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter