AKL - Tips, Advice? Onsite Newbie :)

asamklove

Mouseketeer
Wow! SO EXCITED. Just booked our first ever on-property stay at WDW for December. We picked Animal Kingdom Lodge, because of the Free Delicious offer, and our kids' obsessions with zoos/animals. I'm kind of bummed we could not stay on the monorail/walking distance loop, but it is what it is and budget was important this year. SO - we are booked at AKL! We are going to Disney!!!

I would absolutely love any advice from the AKL regulars - we did book standard view (again, budget) - but are hoping for Queen/Bunk room and maybe a balcony (despite the parking lot view!).

What are the tips and tricks for getting around the parks from the AKL? We are thinking of having a rental car b/c buses sound a little frustrating (but we really have no idea, we've never stayed onsite).

Any resort must-dos/don't miss activities? Our kids are still on young side (5 & 7), so we will be spending a bit of downtime at the resort.

Very excited :) Thanks in advance!

Must do is the night time animal viewing through dark vision goggles. Also look at the animals from a range of different locations as not all animals are on all savannahs. All the information on what is on is available when you check in and you can always ask any CM if you can't find something - there is usually one near the animal viewing areas ready to chat about the animals.

Wow! SO EXCITED. Just booked our first ever on-property stay at WDW for December. We picked Animal Kingdom Lodge, because of the Free Delicious offer, and our kids' obsessions with zoos/animals. I'm kind of bummed we could not stay on the monorail/walking distance loop, but it is what it is and budget was important this year. SO - we are booked at AKL! We are going to Disney!!!

I would absolutely love any advice from the AKL regulars - we did book standard view (again, budget) - but are hoping for Queen/Bunk room and maybe a balcony (despite the parking lot view!).

What are the tips and tricks for getting around the parks from the AKL? We are thinking of having a rental car b/c buses sound a little frustrating (but we really have no idea, we've never stayed onsite).

Any resort must-dos/don't miss activities? Our kids are still on young side (5 & 7), so we will be spending a bit of downtime at the resort.

You might not get a "parking lot view". A fair number of standard rooms have imperfect savannah views (where you can see the animals out of your window). When online check-in time rolls around, request "Kudu Trail" to try to get one of these rooms. If you really want it, I recommend making that your only request, rather than also putting "near elevator", for example. Keep in mind that these Kudu trail rooms are not typically convenient to the lobby, so if proximity matters more than your view, you probably shouldn't choose this.

Busses are really a non-issue. They do take a little longer (unless you go to AK) but not much. I am a local and drive so I always have access to a car. I never feel the need to drive to any of the parks or other resorts from AKL.
They have worked very hard to make them very efficient from this location and at the Kidani station they even have an electronic board to watch buss times. Do note however that the busses pick up & drop off at Kidani village first, then Jambo.

Resort must do's - as others have said, the night time viewing is AMAZING. The pool on either side of the resort is a great pool. They do have lots of cultural activities at the resort. Night time story telling (I think it's around 6) at the fire pit. Marshmallow toasting, movies at the pool at night, scavenger hunts (ask at the front desk about this one. I know they have it at Kidani. Not sure about Jambo). They have a rubbing station where the kids can make art from the designs on the floor. (this will make more sense when you see it). They also have cookie designing/decorating. Lots and lots of stuff to do. There is no reason to be board at AKL unless you want to be.

I haven't stayed at Jambo in a while but last time I was there they did not. I'm DVC and AKL is my home so I'm there several times a year and flip back and forth between Kidani and Jambo.

Eat at Boma. The dinner is great and the breakfast cannot be beat. If you get there at dinner opening they do a cool drum welcome for the guests- very cool.
Do the dinner tour ( free).
Check schedule for talks at night, campfire stories, smores, pool movies....
We stay there a lot and have never rented a car.
Take time to just relax there. Its a resort like no other!

scavenger hunts (ask at the front desk about this one. I know they have it at Kidani. Not sure about Jambo).

Yes they have the Hidden Mickey Scavenger Hunt at Jambo, this is one of our favorite activities.

I can vouch for the Boma breakfast as being a great(also fairly reasonably priced as Disney goes). I didn't care for their dinner.

I haven't stayed at Jambo in a while but last time I was there they did not. I'm DVC and AKL is my home so I'm there several times a year and flip back and forth between Kidani and Jambo.

This week I posted that question and was updated that Jambo does have an electronic board now.:groom:

Do NOT rent a car! We were just there last week and that is my biggest tip. SO much faster to take the bus, then drive/park/monorail/walk or drive/park/walk. We rented a car and that was the number one thing we both agreed on- that it was totally unnecessary. Even getting our luggage/walking to Avis/ getting the car/ driving likely took longer than just lining up for ME and it was a total PITA dragging two little kids and all our stuff around.

Yes, there are electronic boards at the Jambo stop.

My kids loved the Kidani pool/waterpark, try it out if you can get there. They also really liked roasting marshmallows at Jambo at night.

Some standard view rooms are by the giraffe feeding station -- so not all of them are parking lot views. Also, all the AKL rooms have a balcony or a patio. Rooms by the pool are also very nice for children. My kids liked Simba's Club, if you want a night out. Definitely give yourself some down time to enjoy the animals and the pool. We did not have a rental car and never missed it (and that definitely saves you money). The Magic Kingdom is the longest bus ride (you are close to all other parks), BUT driving to the MK is always more time consuming than taking the bus to MK. The bus drops you off at the front gate, but if you drive, you have to park at the T and T and take the ferry or monorail to get to the MK (after taking the parking lot tram to the ferry monorail).

Lastly, you can pick up a rental car while in the World -- you need not make a decision at the airport. At AKL, going to other hotels for TS dinners can be slow, but heading to the parks for dinner is not too time consuming. For 5-7 year olds, I'd suggest 50's Prime Time Café in the Studios, Rainforest Café in AK, Liberty Tree Tavern or BOG or Crystal Palace in MK, and lots of places in Epcot.

Some standard view rooms are by the giraffe feeding station -- so not all of them are parking lot views. Also, all the AKL rooms have a balcony or a patio. Rooms by the pool are also very nice for children. My kids liked Simba's Club, if you want a night out. Definitely give yourself some down time to enjoy the animals and the pool. We did not have a rental car and never missed it (and that definitely saves you money). The Magic Kingdom is the longest bus ride (you are close to all other parks), BUT driving to the MK is always more time consuming than taking the bus to MK. The bus drops you off at the front gate, but if you drive, you have to park at the T and T and take the ferry or monorail to get to the MK (after taking the parking lot tram to the ferry monorail).

Lastly, you can pick up a rental car while in the World -- you need not make a decision at the airport. At AKL, going to other hotels for TS dinners can be slow, but heading to the parks for dinner is not too time consuming. For 5-7 year olds, I'd suggest 50's Prime Time Café in the Studios, Rainforest Café in AK, Liberty Tree Tavern or BOG or Crystal Palace in MK, and lots of places in Epcot.
Thank you for all of the thoughtful advice! I appreciate it :)

I have stayed there one time I really did not like it too much it was a little too dark also very fair from the parks but animal kindgom

Contrary to what others have said, I would rent a car. Except for the MK, where you might save some time because the bus drops you at the gate rather than the TCC (but it still evens out because you have to leave earlier to wait for the bus anyway), it is easier and quicker to get anywhere else by car.

We have stayed at AKL twice (it is our dvc home resort) and always have a car. We did take the bus one year to the MK, but it didn't save us any time door to door. We are also big walkers though and get to the parks early, so a close up spot and short walk to the ferry or monorail is pretty quick for us.

Many people love Disney transportation and it's certainly convenient because it goes everywhere and is a great option for not having the expense of a car...but in most cases it's not the fastest way to get anywhere.

Keep uber or taxis in mind between resorts. The buses work best to and from the parks.

We did it that way last year from POFQ. We will probably do that again this year at AKL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter