AKL Pool closed for refurb? What!?

mel1223

Earning My Ears
Just found out the AKL pool will be closed for refurb during our stay. Does anybody know or have opinions about how this looks? Are there temporary fences around the pool? Is it ugly? I can't handle drinking my morning joe while looking at a bunch of "Caution: Do Not Cross" tape all over the place. If it is that bad I may switch resorts. Thanks in advance for any info.

When are you going? We will be there in 2 weeks. We have a savanna view though. The pool is supposed to be reopened the 15th or 17th, I forget. Until then guests can use the Kidani pool. Maybe you will get a free savanna view upgrade if you booked a pool view and are not happy with it. I know last year, they downgraded the sunset savanna view rooms to standard because you could see construction from the DVC. We got one of those rooms and were tickled pink with it. Maybe they are downgrading the pool views to std. Call and ask, maybe they will help you out.

They have 8 days until the 30th. I'd be shocked if it weren't open by then. If it's not, oh well. It's not the end of the world.

That would be a resort breaker for us, we choose our resort by the pool, we enjoy spending alot of time there. We would definitely change resorts, and the option of using another pool, nope, won't work for us the extra walk or bus and hauling crap to and fro. We pack picnic lunches and drinks and want a short walk to the pool, lounge around and short walk back, maybe 2, 3 times a day. We always ask if anything is going down or being refurbed when making our reservations so we have resort options instead of a big surprise when we get there, as I said, the pool is very important to us.

I'm confused. The Dis Rehab listings says the Animal Kingdom Pool willl be complete by January 30th. Where is the info coming from that it will not be finished till the middle of February? We will also be there from Feb 6th for 3 nights before switching over to the Beach Club for 5 nights, so I'm kind of curious.

I found it here: http://www.stitchkingdom.com/refurb/

This is my first solo trip and my first time at AKL (since my home away from home - WL - was booked). Of course, as fate would have it, I have a pool view for Feb 4 - 13 so this is annoying. My first time here and I really don't want to look at construction. If I wanted to look at concrete, I could have booked a standard room, paid less and looked at the parking lot.

Since I am coming in late, I suppose there is nothing to do except ask at the desk when I get there.
:sad1:

I found it here: http://www.stitchkingdom.com/refurb/

This is my first solo trip and my first time at AKL (since my home away from home - WL - was booked). Of course, as fate would have it, I have a pool view for Feb 4 - 13 so this is annoying. My first time here and I really don't want to look at construction. If I wanted to look at concrete, I could have booked a standard room, paid less and looked at the parking lot.

Since I am coming in late, I suppose there is nothing to do except ask at the desk when I get there.
:sad1:

If the refurbishment has not been completed by the time you arrive, my guess is that they will upgrade you to a Savannah View. They have very few pool view rooms relative to Sav. anyway... Try not to worry. Even if you are not upgraded and get to your room and the view is upsetting to you, just return to the front desk and ask to be moved.

I just called DVC and asked them about the extended refurb on the pool- He put me on hold and called The Animal Kingdom Lodge front desk (not the reservation area) and they told him that this refurbishment should be done by the end of January as originally expected. I was going to cancel and move over to Old Key West, but I guess I'll keep my original reservation and cross my fingers.

We had a pool view at AKL. We were there 1/16-1/20. There is a fence around the pool. Luckily we had enough trees blocking our view. Here's a view from our room 4006 Giraffe Trail.

4298720907_ca63353bbb_m.jpg

Sorry the pic is so small. I can't figure out how to make it bigger.

When are you going? We will be there in 2 weeks. We have a savanna view though. The pool is supposed to be reopened the 15th or 17th, I forget. Until then guests can use the Kidani pool. Maybe you will get a free savanna view upgrade if you booked a pool view and are not happy with it. I know last year, they downgraded the sunset savanna view rooms to standard because you could see construction from the DVC. We got one of those rooms and were tickled pink with it. Maybe they are downgrading the pool views to std. Call and ask, maybe they will help you out.

Not sure where you heard Feb 15 or 17 but all reports I had seen said it is to reopen by the end of January.
I now see someone posted something from stitchkingdom.com
How reliable is that site? It's not one I use.

We had a pool view at AKL. We were there 1/16-1/20. There is a fence around the pool. Luckily we had enough trees blocking our view. Here's a view from our room 4006 Giraffe Trail.

Is it just the picture, or could you not see much of the pool from your room? Looks like more of a "garden view" to me.( I know that's not an option at AKL, just what it seems to look like) We have a pool view booked and wondering what our view could be like.

I just got off the phone with AKL and they said that it is scheduled to be closed until mid-February, but I will say that she had me on hold and was clearly looking something up on the computer so who knows.

It's not a deal-breaker for me at this stage in the game as we leave in 6 days but it is disappointing. Guess we'll just hop on the bus to Kidani or go to TL if we're desperate for a swim.

It's off-season folks... just like attractions at the Parks there needs to be time to do fix all the wear and tear from throughout the rest of the year. Sometimes it takes longer then originally planned, especially with the horrid cold snap that we had, everything to subject to change without notice.

The pool was scheduled to reopen by the end of the month, but that has been pushed back to mid-February. Jambo House does have a van that takes off from the Porte Cochre from 10am to 5pm that will take you to Kidani Village to use the pool over there.

Unless it's a sold out weekend or whatnot, the Themed Pool View rooms are not being used until the construction is over. It will only affect you if you have a Pool View room booked for that time period... Standard View & Savannah View is NOT Pool View, Pool View is a separate room category.

Doesnt matter anyway, I just checked my first 3 days on accuweather and its going to RAIN! eek:

It's off-season folks... just like attractions at the Parks there needs to be time to do fix all the wear and tear from throughout the rest of the year. Sometimes it takes longer then originally planned, especially with the horrid cold snap that we had, everything to subject to change without notice.

The pool was scheduled to reopen by the end of the month, but that has been pushed back to mid-February. Jambo House does have a van that takes off from the Porte Cochre from 10am to 5pm that will take you to Kidani Village to use the pool over there.

Unless it's a sold out weekend or whatnot, the Themed Pool View rooms are not being used until the construction is over. It will only affect you if you have a Pool View room booked for that time period... Standard View & Savannah View is NOT Pool View, Pool View is a separate room category.

I'm really surprised that it will not be open before President's weekend though. That is a very busy week!

Is it just the picture, or could you not see much of the pool from your room? Looks like more of a "garden view" to me.( I know that's not an option at AKL, just what it seems to look like) We have a pool view booked and wondering what our view could be like.

We also had a "Pool View" room on our last stay that had absolutely no water in sight, just vegetation (it was Rm. #2456 on Zebra Trail). :confused:

We were just there Jan 16-20th. The pool was being refurbished with the fence around it and Kidani pool was available to guests. They had a van that went back and forth to Kidani and Jambo driven by lifeguards during the daylight hours to assist in this inconvenience. It was available like 10am to 6PM or so. It was directly out the front door/drop off at front door of Kidani. That made it nice to go from Jambo to Kidani, with no buses, no walking, no driving. We stayed concierge and they said the pool was still scheduled to be done by the end of January. We are there again in February (13-20th)and we have received no letter in the mail concerning the pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter