• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKL, OKW or SSR?

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
I think I have it narrowed down to three that fit our budget. We’ve been to AKL before and I wanted to try something new but then again why mess with a great thing. I am concerned about the walking at the other two locations being so far from main building for drinks and food and walking outside if raining after bus ride. Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Those are all nice resorts, but given your preferences and concern about walking and dealing with rain, you'd be happiest at AKL.:earsboy:

We have stayed at AKL 2x and SSR 1x. I would choose AKL hands down. While we enjoyed our stay at SSR, I would never choose it over AKL. Imo, there seemed to be lots of vehicle traffic in the area surrounding SSR. It felt like it took longer to get to any of the theme parks on the SSR bus. I could be wrong about the distance, but maybe the stop go stop go to get out of the SSR OKW area made it feel longer.
Imo, it's so much easier to walk the halls of AKL than walk the grounds at SSR in the rain. Plus the animals. Even having stayed at AKL once before, that perk never got old the second time around. 🦓🦒🐏

One of the main reasons people own and reserve DVC resorts is that each one has either a kitchenette or a full sized kitchen. So you don't need to go outside if it is raining to get something to eat or drink.

But I know for sure at OKW, you can hop any bus to get to the Hospitality House. Then either wait for the Internal Bus (on it's way around the resort) or jog over to the Peninsular Road bus stop (right across the bridge from the HH) and take the bus back to your area. And if your clothes get wet (and you are in a one bedroom or larger), just dump them in the dryer to get dry.

If your primary criteria is reducing potentially needing to walk in the rain for anything, then AKL is going to win every time since everything is contained between two buildings.

For food/drink selection it's kind of hard to beat SSR with Disney Springs being a short walk or boat ride away and OKW not far behind with taking the boat. If you're looking at not needing to leave the resort for food/drink at all though, AKL is still going to win out as neither OKW nor SSR are terribly well known for food selection though Olivia's (TS) is pretty solid.

In terms of the feel of the resort though, OKW is hard to beat with how relaxed and friendly it is, as well as how big the rooms are. AKL of course is always interesting because of the savannah just outside and the decor is utterly unique and beautiful, but it can also feel busy/noisy if you're too close to the lobby at Jambo House. SSR is pretty neutral, it's always quiet because everything is spread out and the rooms have a cozy feeling with the breakfast nooks in the +1 bedrooms.

I have stayed at AKL and SSR and I enjoy both. I give the edge to AKL for stronger theming overall, but I do like all the horse racing elements of SSR and the remodeled rooms look adorable. I like to switch it up and not stay at the same resort all the time. I would give SSR a try.

I know the feeling. Sometimes it's hard to try a different resort when you've stayed at one that you really like. When are you going?
During the summer months, AKL can't be beat if you are afraid of those downpours and if you can't tolerate heat.
Still, I'd suggest Old Key West. The rooms are large and the resort has such a relaxing feel. The pool is great too. It's also a nice boat ride away from Disney Springs!

My votes would be the order u listed them in AKL, OKW, SSR. SSR really holds no interest for me...unless u plan to spend a lot of time at Disney Springs. If u like a spacious room, then definitely OKW..I had a 1 bedroom there once and wow..what a difference compared to the other rooms at Disney...very spread out though, so a car would help. About 20 minute walk to Disney Springs from there was another plus, but could also get a boat. But AKL would get my vote....beautiful theming, animals, great restaurants, 2 pools, 2 fitness centers. Good luck deciding.

We have been to all three. Our preference in order are AKL, OKW then SS. If you have already been to AKL then I would suggest OKW. It is very nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter