AKL: Are animals out on the savannas in the heat?

Miffy

DIS Veteran
For those of you who are at AKL right now or have been there recently, are the animals out and about during the day?

We have a "water" (i.e., pool) view room booked and we were thinking about paying for an upgrade to savanna view, but if there aren't any animals out on the savannas, it's not worth it.

Our current plan is to rope drop, come back to the resort during the worst part of the day, then go back out at night. So our animal-viewing time would most likely be in the afternoon.

Thanks if you can help!

There’s plenty of shade and water on the savannas, and these animals are native to the African savanna where it gets just as hot. So yes, the animals are out on the savanna. It’s on the very coldest winter days that they’re likely to want to say in their houses.

(We found out where the giraffe house is on the AK Safari one January day when the temperature was in the low 40s. All the giraffes were hanging out there!)

I went in June and they were absolutely on the savanna. It helps that it's where their food is. There were plenty at night too. They dimly light savanna and there's still all kinds of animals out there.

Edit: this was Kidani (DVC) not JAmbo (cash). Who knows what's going on over there.

Yes, we were there for 4 nights and left yesterday. We saw giraffes and zebras and antelope from our room a lot! I absolutely loved waking up and seeing which animals were there.

There’s plenty of shade and water on the savannas, and these animals are native to the African savanna where it gets just as hot. So yes, the animals are out on the savanna. It’s on the very coldest winter days that they’re likely to want to say in their houses.

(We found out where the giraffe house is on the AK Safari one January day when the temperature was in the low 40s. All the giraffes were hanging out there!)
I was thinking the same thing. We are talking about animals native to Africa, where it's hotter, or as hot at the very least, than Florida. Heat ain't nothing to them. Cold on the other hand.....

We're at AKL now. We stayed with our water (i.e., pool)- view room. It's a really nice room and we're settled in.

AKL is our favorite place at WDW and it's just a pleasure to be here.

ETA: The savanna view room would have been $650 more for the week, so we decided against it, since we need that money for G+ and ILL$!

We found that you saw them most often when it was around the time they were being fed because the food is placed relatively close to the resort and they anticipate it. At other times of the day it was more random.

We're at AKL now. We stayed with our water (i.e., pool)- view room. It's a really nice room and we're settled in.

AKL is our favorite place at WDW and it's just a pleasure to be here.

ETA: The savanna view room would have been $650 more for the week, so we decided against it, since we need that money for G+ and ILL$!
For that much I can walk to the lobby and be content. I likely would've blown all the money on food instead though :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter