AKL 1 Bedroom vs Poly Studio? Minnie Vans?

justme0729

DIS Veteran
We will have a 2.5 year old and a 9 month old with us on our trip in May. Would you rather stay in an AKL 1 bedroom or a Poly studio? We are open to maybe using Minnie Vans at AKL if we're encountering long waits with transportation to/ from AKL but they are pricey. Anyone use Minnie Vans after fireworks and get back quickly?

I prefer space but at least at the Poly you have easy monorail access to 2 parks, which is nice with the double stroller and if you can't make it in the park, you can watch the fireworks from the beach.

What will the sleeping arrangements be for the kids.
When our kids were that age the toddler slept with us and PnP for baby.
It will be a tight squeeze with a PnP in a studio, but the convenience of Poly may win out for me.

I was debating for a long time on this decision myself for our upcoming trip with our 2.5 year old son and ended up going with the Poly DVC studio. I asked the question about AKL transport on here, and will see if I can find the link to edit this post with, but a lot of people had bad things to say about the buses and then also said that Minnie Vans were not reliable from AKL - long waits and even drivers cancelling. I'm not sure about the fireworks though, as I didn't ask about that. Our fireworks plan is to get our son ready for bed and then watch from the Poly so there's no crowds to beat back and we can get him to sleep ASAP after fireworks. It's hard to beat a monorail resort for little kids if it's in the budget!

Definitely the POLY Studio with a 9 month old. Assuming they sleep in a pack and play, the Poly studio has 2 bathrooms and i would turn one into a baby sleeping room in a pack and play/crib. Then you and the older ones can sleep in the main room.

Also, the convenience of the monorail is so great with the little kids.

I should note this is for DVC studios, which is where we stayed in May.

We stayed at AKL with our 2.5 year old in early September and thought the buses were fine, she actually really enjoyed them and enjoyed to ride and looking for different buses with characters on the way to the parks. I would go with where ever you think sleep will be easiest for your kids.

We stayed at AKL with our 2.5 year old in early September and thought the buses were fine, she actually really enjoyed them and enjoyed to ride and looking for different buses with characters on the way to the parks. I would go with where ever you think sleep will be easiest for your kids.
Agreed. No more issues with bus transportation at AKL than any other resort. If more of the family time is at MK, then the convenience of the Poly is amazing. But if doing multiple parks throughout the trip, AKL would be our preference, with extra space - and the washer/dryer option - so nice with little ones. Less overall packing needed!

I asked the question about AKL transport on here, and will see if I can find the link to edit this post with, but a lot of people had bad things to say about the buses and then also said that Minnie Vans were not reliable from AKL - long waits and even drivers cancelling.

Ha! That's not good to hear. We're staying at AKL and that was part of my plan! :D

I would probably go with the Poly, because it's in the budget now, and might not be in the future.
I like the idea of setting up a bathroom as a "bedroom" for the baby.

I know lots of people complain about the buses, but I've never had a problem with them. But, we also rarely stay for the fireworks. Once the kids are done, they're done, and we move on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter