AirTrans out of Rochester - Experiences?

DutchsMommy

DIS Veteran
DS and I are booked on AirTrans out of ROC for our upcoming trip in May. I panicked when SWA was high out of BUF and jumped on this flight. We are driving from Toronto for a noon-ish flight to MCO. Just wondering how others have found this airport - easy to navigate?, short lineups?, anyone used the parking at the airport - any coupons for this? Anyone familiar with the drive from the boarder and anything else remotely related to AirTrans or Rochester is much appreciated LOL ;) :thumbsup2

I live in Roch and as it happens, will be flying to WDW on Airtran on the 8am flight on May 5th. I haven't heard any complaints about this flight and you can't beat having no connections, I'm planning on being in MGM by 1 in the afternoon. The Roch airport is small, so you won't have any issues with long lines. I usually park in the parking lot across the street, you take a quick shuttle from the lot to the airport door. It's about $5/day. I don't know what the airport Long Term lot costs.

I don't want to worry you but I'd be more concerned about getting across the border. It's a real crap shoot. Some days you blow right through it and on other days it's a parking lot. Of the three bridges, I'd go the Peace Bridge to Buffalo and stay away from the Niagara Falls bridges beacuse it tends to get clogged with semis. Last July it took me 6 hours to drive from Toronto to Rochester on Sat afternoon (usually a 3 hr drive). If you leave early in the day you should be fine.

We fly Airtran out of Rochester to Florida at least once a year. I agree with the previous poster on the border crossing, leave yourself lots of time.

When you drive in you'll take I-390 to the Airport exit. At the entrance to the Airport you can turn left into the Airport for the long term parking lots (around $8 a day) or turn right and enter one of the lots across the street (about $6 per day).

The check in line is not typically more than 5-15 minutes, and the security gate also not usually longer than 5-15 minutes. Past security there is a MCDonalds, Subway, pizza place, and a sandwich/salad place plus a food stand in each of the 2 gate wings.

The Airtran experience is average for the industry. No problems and we love the direct flights when we can get them.

Enjoy your trip and feel free to ask if you have more questions about the airport!

When you take airport exit (18) to the right is the red parking lot on Buell Rd.(the cheapest) at $4.50 a day. I just checked today as we fly out next Weds.

I live in Rochester and am flying AirTran to Orlando on 4/29. Like the above poster stated, the airport is small and I've never had a problem with lines being too long. There are only two terminals, A and B, so it's very easy to navigate. Crossing the border is really hit or miss. Have all your documentation ready just in case. Have a great trip!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter