Airport transportation advice

Apeters430

Mouseketeer
This is my first time traveling with my 5 year old alone. We usually rent a car or take magical Express. It is a 4 day trip, one suitcase and he would need a booster. Been hearing some awful reviews about Mears the past few days. I am specifically turned off by how early they pick up to return back to MCO on departure day. Im clueless on the cost of Lyfts to and from airport with booster seats included because I prefer to travel without my own. Private service is just not something I'm interested in when traveling with just the two of us but I will say the services that allow you to stop for groceries is something I will consider in the future. Just want to hear everyones opinions.

Also, I see chase sapphire members have the option to use points for private transfer but you have no information on the company that is giving the service. If anyone has used that could you please let me know.
We are visiting the end of this month.

The airport is asking.people to arrive 3 hours prior to departure time. Mears has to allow enough time to tour the resorts picking up passengers. A return pick up time earlier then you want is a given
Bring a booster seat. Install Uber and lyft apps a week or so before your trip. Log into your chase account. Chase frequently has promotions with Lyft

Lyft will not have booster seats unless the Minnie Vans come back, Uber has a very small segment of their drivers that have car seats installed. Your best bet is probably going to be a Bubble Bum, it is a certified inflatable booster seat. I used one with my younger son the last time we were at WDW in 2019.

Lyft will not have booster seats unless the Minnie Vans come back, Uber has a very small segment of their drivers that have car seats installed. Your best bet is probably going to be a Bubble Bum, it is a certified inflatable booster seat. I used one with my younger son the last time we were at WDW in 2019.
I have used a low back booster when mine were little. it fits in overhead. another choice

Get yourself a bubble butt booster. They're small, lightweight and easy to transport. I've never taken a rideshare in my life but I did install the apps and checked out pricing... for our family of 5 (need an Uber XL) we'll get from the airport to the resort for under $50. Mears was something around $30 per person so it's definitely a cost savings.

We got a lightweight Graco booster for travel. Fit in a shopping bag/overhead. Easy peasy and then we could use any transportation. While day-to-day used a high back booster for vacations this was way to go.

The airport is asking.people to arrive 3 hours prior to departure time. Mears has to allow enough time to tour the resorts picking up passengers. A return pick up time earlier then you want is a given
Bring a booster seat. Install Uber and lyft apps a week or so before your trip. Log into your chase account. Chase frequently has promotions with Lyft

THIS! .. Not sure why people seem to have a problem with arriving to the airport early, especially at MCO, and most especially if you are checking a bag which it sounds like the OP is. MCO is a very busy, chaotic, and crowded airport, known for delays and long security lines, IMHO I always arrive at least 2.5 hour prior to my flight when flying out of MCO..

If you go frequently and rent a car, we’ve saved some money by signing up for SunPass and getting a transponder for the tolls. You’ve just got to remember to bring it and to sign up your license plate each time (and make sure the plate is deactivated after you return the car).

THIS! .. Not sure why people seem to have a problem with arriving to the airport early, especially at MCO, and most especially if you are checking a bag which it sounds like the OP is. MCO is a very busy, chaotic, and crowded airport, known for delays and long security lines, IMHO I always arrive at least 2.5 hour prior to my flight when flying out of MCO..

I won’t speak for the OP but personally I pay to make my time dealing with MCO’s nonsense as short as possible. Between Clear and Pre it takes me longer to walk to my gate than security does. Very few people know about or utilize Clear so I basically get a private Pre lane. It was even the case on July 4th weekend, and I didn’t check a bag then. There was no reason for me to get there 3 hours early but i got DME.

Even the trip before that, when I did check a bag and had no RAC to rely on, I was still very quick to get to my gate. On future trips with rideshare or town car tbh I will aim for 2 hours. 3 is totally excessive with skip the lines perks.

I won’t speak for the OP but personally I pay to make my time dealing with MCO’s nonsense as short as possible. Between Clear and Pre it takes me longer to walk to my gate than security does. Very few people know about or utilize Clear so I basically get a private Pre lane. It was even the case on July 4th weekend, and I didn’t check a bag then. There was no reason for me to get there 3 hours early but i got DME.

Even the trip before that, when I did check a bag and had no RAC to rely on, I was still very quick to get to my gate. On future trips with rideshare or town car tbh I will aim for 2 hours. 3 is totally excessive with skip the lines perks.

I agree that this would be the one exception to what I said, if one has both TSA pre-check and CLEAR then yes that significantly reduces wait times at security.. The OP did not mention that they have this..

Cutting it close when departing from MCO is a bad plan even if you have one of those TSA pre-check things. Due to Disney (and Universal also), MCO seems to always have masses of families with small children and many don't seem familiar with the airport layout or the procedures for departing. Most families with children will also be checking luggage. Those lines can also be very long, you just never know ahead of time. The time it takes someone traveling alone with only a carryon bag and TSA-pre will clearly be shorter then most who are traveling.

Your plane will depart without you if not at the gate on time, so that is something to consider. Much better plan to eat/shop once you get through security if you have extra time available. Most airlines have limited/no food service or hand out tiny bags of peanuts or pretzels, so it is generally a good idea to eat at your departure airport especially if going on a long flight.

We used a bubble bum booster for my kids when we traveled. Easy to toss in the carry on and then I can uber/lyft whatever without worrying about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter