Airport security questions answered

bmartin1206

Mouseketeer
Hey it's me again...your friendly neighborhood TSA employee with my quarterly ( or close to that ) offer to answer any of your questions with regards to travel through airports security check points and checked baggage.
The biggest issue I continue to see is unexposed film in the checked luggage. This will ruin the film regardless of film speed and all of those memories lost. You may put film through the security check point x-ray if it's less than 800 speed but I recommend requesting it be hand checked by a security screener.
Feel free to email me with any other questions with respects to security screening.

Brian

Is there a problem with taking a portable DVD player on board a plane? My DD wants to watch a movie on the way to Florida.

Brian - could you give us an update on the new procedures in the airports where TSA is fully in control and the new screening procedures are in place? I continue to see leisure travelers who are very confused about when/where they need their ID, boarding passes, etc....

Thanks,

An all-too-frequent-flyer!

ps: I'll be nosy nellie and answer this:

Is there a problem with taking a portable DVD player on board a plane? My DD wants to watch a movie on the way to Florida.

No problem, but you will have to put it away from the time they close the doors until the plane reaches 10,000 feet altitude, then again on the descent. In fact, there is a company that rents DVD players & movies (In-Motion, I think..) in airports.

Originally posted by bmartin1206
The biggest issue I continue to see is unexposed film in the checked luggage. This will ruin the film regardless of film speed and all of those memories lost.

I just ordered (www.bhphotovideo.com) a film "x-ray" bag ... it will protect your film from being harmed by the "check-on" scanner, but won't protect film that's in a checked-in bag ... apparently that machine is a super-duper one!

I'll put my film in the film bag and pack it in my check-on luggage ... rather than having to ask to have 25+ rolls of film hand inspected. Although I do plan on asking to have my cameras hand inspected.

MCNUSS - I believe the airlines requires an ID at Check In and TSA requires an ID and Boarding pass/Ticket prior to going through the Screening Check point. If you leave the check point for any reason you will need both to re-enter.

Brian

Memaw2Wm - The film bag will be fine for checked luggage though it will give an alarm causing your bag to be searched since the X-Ray will not be able to see through it ( which is the point).

Brian

Will the X-ray machines (either the carry-on luggage machine or the new "monster luggage mutation machine" for checked bags) riun pictures on a digital camera removable card? I would have thought they were safe, but I lost about 40 pics last year, and wonder if the big machine had anything to do with it.

I believe the airlines requires an ID at Check In and TSA requires an ID and Boarding pass/Ticket prior to going through the Screening Check point.

This is why travel is so confusing these days!

In some airports (LGA comes to mind), gate agents are still checking ID at the time you board (which has always struck me as silly, since you've at that point shown it twice, and I sincerely doubt that there is anyway someone could "slip" by).

One more thing: could you talk to your management about providing comment cards? I would like to be able to recognize a TSA employee who has gone out of his/her way (and there are lots of those!!! :) ) but I would also like to be able to complain without fear of retribution.

DS recently hit 40 lbs, so we check ours now, but IME, there are issues with these going through security, especially if the scanners are equipped with sizing templates. On several occasions, I had to argue my case when I was told that if the seat did not fit through the template, that I could not carry it on.

I know lots of folks here will be dealing with this issue, so it would be nice to hear advice about how best to manage it without unduly holding up the line.

NotUrsula - There should not be an issue. If it doesn't fit they should hand check it instead. TSA does not make the determination whether or not you may carry it on, the airlines would do that. We only check for hazardous or prohibited items.

mcnuss- We were under the impression that all airports had switched over to checking tickets at the check point. I beleive effective the first of the year. I'm not exactly sure of the date as our airport (Indianapolis) was already doing it using outsourced help. We also do the random bag checks at the security check point instead of the gate. Again, we understood everyone had switched to that also.
You can make suggestions and comments about employees at the TSA.gov website. This also gives you updated traveling info and rules. Check it out!

gallaj0 - I am not aware of the X-Ray or CATSCAN affecting digital or camcorders(digital or tape). As far as we've been told it does not.

Brian

On our recent trip we were wondering about the additional ID check when boarding as well. It seems so silly when you've just presented it when going through security.

But, I just read a book (fiction) about people switching places in the airport. Both parties had a ticket and made it through security, but then switched tickets and went on different flights then they were booked. Without the additional ID check, I suppose this could happen. In the book the one plane crashed and it was assumed that the original passenger on that flight had died, when in fact, he was safe and sound in another city. I guess this could be one reason for the additional ID check. Ah, don't you just love a good mystery? :)

Sorry I may have misspoke. I believe most airlines check as you're boarding the plane as well but again this is an airline policy of which we (TSA) have no control. They then compare tickets with names and baggage loaded to insure everything adds up and is accounted for.
Each airline as well as TSA try to keep things as conveiniant as possible for the American public and still maintain a certain level of safety.

Brian

How early are airline passengers currently being recommended to arrive at the airport before the scheduled flight time?

What kind of ID is acceptable/required for elementary school age children? Mine do not have school ID's.

Thank you.

BethC - I loved that book despite the fact that I foolishly read it on a plane!

drcmk - I've never had to present an ID for my 8 yo (except when we traveled abroad) and we've flown about 10-15 times since 9/11. I am not sure at what age they do require it - 16 maybe? - since you get a license then?

They then compare tickets with names and baggage loaded to insure everything adds up and is accounted for.
Now that would make some sense! It was LGA that I had to show ID...no where else, now that I think of it. It must be an airport policy bc of it being NYC and all.

drcmk - I think the rule of thumb to arrive is 2 hours. It really depends on what time, season, time and airlines. At our airport (Indianapolis we seem to process passengers rather quickly so you could probably do it in an hour assuming it wasn't a peak time. I wouldn't make it any less than 1 1/2 hours anywhere though. You never know what other circumstance may hold up other procedures.
No ID is required for children. I don't believe one is required untill the age of 18.

Brian

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter